29 comments

Science Fiction Drama Sad

This story contains sensitive content

TW: PTSD, swearing.


Jack Dancer wept for his sins. Magnetised boots held him to the outer hull of the PD Anathema. Thanks to his efforts the deadly vacuum of space had raced into the ship with a bang.

In his space suit he was safe until his oxygen ran out, waiting for his ship. The Fairweather returned at full speed. He waited for five hours. Lost in guilt, Jack hardly noticed. He clutched his toolbox to his chest.

“You there, Jack?” said Captain Eliza Erdman using the radio.

He took a long time to respond. “I’m here,” he replied. He half wished he wasn’t.

Captain Eliza’s ship the Fairweather drew closer until it was only a kilometre away.

“Can you make the jump?” asked Erdman.

Jack didn’t answer. He leapt. Four minutes later he used his EVA suit’s atmospheric guidance jets to slow his movement. Hitting the Fairweather with his hands and knees, he felt his left ankle twist the wrong way.

“Fuck!”

“Jack? What’s wrong?” Captain Eliza’s voice rang with concern.

His footsteps clanged on the outer hull of the Fairweather, over the scars he’d left repairing the ship. His head hung low, shoulders slumped. The airlock welcomed him back. When the light inside turned green he threw off his helmet. The inner hatch opened.

“Well done, man. You were brilliant.” Max clapped Jack on the shoulder but the older man pushed the hand of the acne scarred blond away.

“Don’t touch me.” He made himself smaller, twisting to be away from congratulatory pats on the back.

Confused faces watched him rip himself out of the space suit and leave it there in the hallway. They had turned to save him the indignity as he removed the catheter and tubes that removed waste from the suit into the backpack.

“Copernicus is going to survive, Jack. You just saved thousands.”

“I killed dozens,” said the grizzled engineer, picking up his toolbox. He walked to the bedroom he shared with everyone but the captain.

He washed his hands at the tiny sink, scrubbing grime away obsessively.

Alone in the bedchamber he opened his toolbox with reverence. He parted the drawers of tools and boxed nuts and bolts sorted by size and type. He lifted out the removable tray and then unclipped the box beneath. The sealed tin sat in his burnt and scarred hands for a holy moment.

Clips released the lid. Inside, photos of his parents lay beneath a vacuum packed bear.

“Kuma,” Jack said, the word dispelling his fears, his pain and his guilt for a moment. He popped the seal. The squished face of the stuffed toy and the rest of the body inflated as air long denied to it filled the spaces between cotton stuffing. Jack watched his oldest remaining friend’s revival with tears rolling down his face again.

He curled up on his bunk, hugging the stuffed bear until he snored in a fitful sleep.

“He’s fucked up,” said Max, a silhouette in the doorway.

“Shush, he’s sleeping,” Doctor Annie Brie scolded the junior engineer.

“Why’s he so bummed out? He’s a hero,” asked the gangly blond.

“It’s a good thing, Max. I wouldn’t want to share a room with the sort of psycho who’d be okay after doing what he just did. He had to do it. He did it. That doesn’t mean he should be proud of it.”

Max moved closer, peering into Jack’s arms. “Is he holding a fucking teddybear?”

Annie peeked. “Looks like it. Never saw that from a guy like him.”

“Was he hiding that in the toolbox? Don’t know what you think about that, but I’d say that’s a bit creepy for a grown man. A bit weird.”

“We don’t know what he’s been through, Max. Leave him alone.”

“I will. Trust me there.” The acne scarred engineer smirked. “Teddy boy.” Laughing to himself Max got into bed. It had been a long day waiting on supplies held back by the blockade. Aid flowed down to Copernicus thanks to Jack.

“Who’s idea was the minefield thing?” Max asked. The once mighty Pierce Dynasty battlecruiser that circled Copernicus had been used to throw proximity mines that sat in low orbit into the atmosphere where they were destroyed. The ship itself would be repaired by Max. The young engineer hoped Jack would help.

“Captain figured the controls would be aboard. Weren’t even encrypted. Can’t access the weapons but that was probably Jack.” Doctor Brie looked at the snoring man lying in the fetal position around his stuffed bear. “Captain wants to give the ship to Copernicus. First of its own fleet.”

“Goodnight Doc.”

“Sleep tight Max.”

“Sweet dreams, Jack. You did it, man. Don’t beat yourself up about the bad stuff.” Max pulled his blankets up and closed his eyes.



Jack didn’t talk for a week. Stoic even by his usual standards. He patched every hole he’d put in the PD Anathema. Throwing up felt as natural as mealtime for that first week.

People congratulating him on his efforts, killing dozens of Pierce Dynasty marines were told to fuck off in no short order. Well wishers learned to be well out of his way.

In spare moments Jack studied for the engineering qualification Captain Eliza had paid for. Cramming in the official terms for things he’d named himself years before pushed out the waking nightmares. Burnt faces and dying screams snuck up through the cracks of his mind if he wasn’t busy.

Max Axel, who had the credentials Jack lacked, coached the older man in the jargon he needed to know. At times Jack broke down in tears without warning.

Multiple choice questions felt ridiculous when he thought about faces he’d seen in the dark. Soldiers who were enforcing the starvation of an entire world. Telling himself that didn’t help. At times he realised he’d been staring at a screen blankly for vast stretches, lost in guilt. One was a father itching to be home with his daughter. Jack had orphaned that girl, made a widow of his wife.


“What’s up with the bear?” Max asked after another silent day with the poster child for PTSD.

Jack’s blue eyes met Axel’s brown ones. “My parents gave him to me. When I hold him it feels like they’re still here.” Jack ate porridge. “I imagine what they used to smell like. I feel the love they gave me.

I was going to give it to my daughter.” Jack stabbed at the slop in his bowl.

“You have a daughter?” Annie Brie blurted loudly. Jack’s eyes couldn’t meet hers.

“Had.” Feeling as if he was being interrogated, Jack exhaled through his nose heavily. “I mean, she’s still alive as far as I know. Her mum, my ex, ran off while she was pregnant. I was just getting used to the idea of being a dad.”

“Did you-” Annie tried to ask.

“Go looking? Of course three years of nothing and I lost the trail.” Standing up, Jack shoved his bowl and spoon in the dishwasher.



The first unit exam for Jack’s engineering qualification was on safety.


  1. What can happen if the hull of a spaceship breaches in the vacuum?


Jack relived memories of watching friends and family dead with the stars the only light on their bodies. They spun lazily from whatever momentum they’d built in their dying moments.

He wrote his answer, wiping tears from his eyes at the communal table of the mess hall.


  1. What tools are used to seal hull breaches?
  2. How can those tools pose a risk to yourself and the crew?


Jack saw a blowtorch in his hand. He remembered using it to fend off the soldiers of the PD Anathema.

“Fuck this.” He leapt out of his seat. “I can’t do it.” He kicked the door to the hall with a steel toe capped boot.

Clenching his fists he ran down the hallway to the air lock. Opening the door, he stepped in and closed it behind himself. In the soundproof space he screamed until his mouth was dry and his vocal chords burning.

November 10, 2023 14:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Martin Ross
16:23 Nov 23, 2023

Powerfully done. More so making the details of engineering safety, situational ethics, and guilt the centerpiece of such a high-stakes cosmic tale.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:03 Nov 23, 2023

Thanks Martin. It was a tricky one to link the two.

Reply

Martin Ross
22:26 Nov 23, 2023

It worked well.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:47 Nov 24, 2023

Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
04:53 Nov 21, 2023

You create a lot of great imagery. A grown man cuddling with a teddy bear says a lot. I feel bad for Jack. I too, like how you deal with the grey. He’s a hero to some and yet a murderer to others, including himself. Your first line really pulled me into your story. Good job!

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:43 Nov 21, 2023

Thanks Kate. It’s the third story about him, starting with him getting the job aboard the Fairweather. I’ll probably keep it going as I do with all of the characters I like. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:12 Nov 20, 2023

I'm not familiar with this series, but as a stand-alone episode - well, actually, I was wondering how you could possibly tie this into the prompt. Spaceships exploding, running blockades, interstellar politics - but of course, a professional accreditation exam makes perfect sense. And then we see that first question. Oof! What a horrible thing for Jack to run into. I like the musings on what it means to be a hero. Jack sees himself as a murderer, the more experienced members of his crew understand what he's going through, and bright-eyed y...

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:32 Nov 20, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Hopefully it made sense on its own. I like to drop the reader into the middle of the action anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:28 Nov 13, 2023

this is sad but believably sad for him. he is a father. big news.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:38 Nov 13, 2023

Yes. I like to throw in a big twist revelation sometimes. Thanks for reading, Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:25 Nov 16, 2023

You are welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A Jack sequel. [They had turned to give save him the indignity as he removed the catheter and tubes that removed waste from the suit into the backpack.] I think [give] needs to be deleted from this sentence. [“Kuma,” Jack said the word, dispelling his fears, his pain and his guilt for a moment.] {“Kuma,” Jack said, the word dispelling his fears, his pain and his guilt for a moment.} [The squished face of the stuffed toy and the rest of the body as air long denied to it filled the spaces between cott...

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:36 Nov 13, 2023

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I've made those changes. Seems like they were fast to approve the last one. That caught me by surprise as well. One of this week's prompts fits a Danielle Longbow story I've had in mind for a while so I'm working on that. I'll get back to Jack though. I have a vague idea for where to go next with him. Prompts will probably help with that. Thanks again for taking the time to read through the story with such a keen eye. Have a great day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:49 Nov 11, 2023

A softer side to Jack. More character building with a bit of Jack's history. Wondered how the prompt would fit in. A flashback. Fits in well with what is going on in Jacks mind at the moment. Handling guilt and grief is difficult. You nailed it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:05 Nov 11, 2023

Thank you Kaitlyn. It was hard to fit this one to the prompt. Since you like Jack’s story you might like another science fiction series of mine. See what you think. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/jlat1o/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:56 Dec 10, 2023

Brilliantly written with a strong character who literally springs off the page - for me. I really like the complexity in his character. Even if taking the exams seems like an exercise in futility, it feels like Jack is his own worst enemy here. Great the way you conveyed PTSD. I liked the ending.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:09 Dec 10, 2023

Thanks Helen. It was easy to think of questions that would trigger him after the previous story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
08:50 Nov 25, 2023

I did not see that coming…

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:30 Nov 25, 2023

Bear with it…

Reply

L M
21:26 Apr 19, 2024

?

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:42 Apr 19, 2024

I don’t even know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:32 Nov 22, 2023

Another Jack ride. Epic. Cute cuddles for him!

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:41 Nov 22, 2023

Thanks. He couldn’t just grin and bear it…

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:42 Nov 22, 2023

Ouch. That was painful. You must be a dad.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:59 Nov 22, 2023

I must. She’s adorable.

Reply

Cassie Finch
02:23 Nov 28, 2023

Who is?

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:45 Nov 28, 2023

My daughter.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
05:13 Dec 15, 2023

Thanks for reading You Don't Know Jack. If you want to know what Jack gets up to next you can read on using the link below. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/2wluae/

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.