0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Crime

Rubi Isle is the most important territory on planet tellus – earth’s twin about 800 years younger - and was ruled by a king. The king had grown old and a successor had to be found. The king’s daughter Princess Glacoma wasn‘t yet married and she expected she would succeed her father. Glacoma was slim and tall and very beautiful and even the royal heirs of neighboring Zygos were offering to marry her but she remained single seeking to be the queen of RI.

A new Man of God (MOG) with radical thinking had established himself in RI. He was quite young and handsome. People would come to MOG, confess their sins and faults and seek advice and consolation. For instance a man could say “Holy Brother I’ve wronged my wife by straying with a gypsy girl.” MOG would say “There is no harm in a temporary liaison as our law says even a second wife is allowed. Remind your wife of it and threaten her with divorce and she will come round.”

Another man could say “Holy Brother I didn’t give money to my wife this month as I lost my earnings in gambling and liquor.  I’ve two children and my wife’s brother had to loan her money to run the house.” MOG would say “It is your money and you’ve the right to spend it any way you want. It is no sin.”

A woman follower could say “Holy Brother I have been married 3 years but have no children. My husband has grown cold. Our neighbor is young and pines for me. Can I let him have his way with me? Will I go to heaven despite it?” MOG would say “God has made life short and it has to be enjoyed for which he has provided in men and women the necessary parts. He will understand the necessity of your doing it with a neighbor and accept you in heaven. If your neighbor fails leave it to me.”

She jumped at it and said “Can I try both?”

“Sure.”

And he would give such contradictory advise to men and women to keep them happy assuring them of heaven in afterlife. When asked “Will I go to heaven?” he would say to all “You will. God will forgive faults as we’re human. Remember every saint including me has a past and every sinner has a future.” He had turned into a much favored soothsayer with a large following!

Blitz was a bearded and bald citizen of RI who was past 80 and walked with the support of a stout stick. He was fortunately still in reasonably good health due to austere living. As a thinker and philosopher he was alarmed to hear the advice given by MOG clearing all of sin. Blitz asked himself “Is this the right kind of counsel? This is what has gained him popularity. And they say he has a flock of women with whom he indulges in orgies. Is he doing the right thing?  Let me find out if he is a genuine soothsayer. They say he has spent months in Zygos. I’m still able bodied. Let me go there and find out.”

About a month later Hook who was the chief law administrator of RI, got MOG before him and said “MOG you’re no doubt a very revered citizen but I heard that certain wrongful activities are going on linking you with the bandit Jurgen. They say he is your aide though he still operates from the forests near Zygos.”

MOG laughed and said “Don’t take these rumors seriously. I don’t know any Jurgen. People know I’m an innately good man and won’t align with bad elements though bad elements no doubt come to me for absolution. I impart appropriate advice.”

Hook laughed and said “We’ve seized Jurgen while he was on the way to join you. He was disguised and came with a big group of his men carrying concealed weapons pretending to be your followers.”

“I don’t understand.”

Hook said “You will. Jurgen has confessed. It was a well laid plot. You had plans to marry princess Glacoma and succeed our king. If there were any military moves Jurgen and his men were expected  to side you. We have evidence of your guilt and I’m taking you into custody.” 4 security men took MOG into custody.

When news spread that MOG had been arrested, demonstrations condemning Hook followed. A section of men and women followers of MOG turned violent and the national guard had to be called in to control the situation. After that Hook addressed the people of RI: “MOG is a fraud. His real name is Bux. He was outlawed for instigating the army of a country to mutiny and fled to Zygos. There he became MOG before moving to RI. In Zygos he induced the outlaw Jurgen  to join him at an appropriate time in a proposed coup to take the RI throne after deposing the king. Jurgen was promised not only kingship but the hand of princess Glacoma. MOG using false counsels had developed a large number of followers and you have now turned out to support him.  It was his game plan to marry Princess Glacoma and sit on the throne himself after getting rid of Jurgen. I’ve enough evidence for all that I’ve said. MOG and Jurgen will be in prison probably for the rest of their lives if they are spared the end of the rope, as acting to dethrone the king is a capital offence.”

The people were satisfied and dispersed.

Hook then summoned Blitz and said “Though you’re far older you’ve worked for exposing MOG and Jurgen and their scheme. You went all the way to Zygos and collected details about their illegal activities. The evidence you’ve gathered will convict the two plotters. Our country needs more people like you. I’m going to request the king to honor you during the annual crowning day anniversary celebrations.”

Blitz laughed and said “I’m old and won’t last long. No recognition is needed for me.”

Hook thought a few moments and said “Okay. But I’ll get the king to grant you a monetary reward for distinguished service to the country.”

“No. I’ve done what my conscience wanted me to do on behalf of our country. No reward is needed. My sons take adequate care of me and I’ve no shortage of funds.”

Hook said “I’ll explain everything to the new king and leave him to decide.”

Blitz asked “What about our old king?”

“Princess Glacoma has got engaged to a royal descendant of Zygos. The wedding will take place soon. Her husband will be the new king as our old king will step down due to age.  Actually she had wanted to rule RI as queen but has changed her mind to remain royal consort.”

END

August 15, 2023 12:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.