0 comments

General

So it was finally the day, I was moving out of the family house and into my first apartment, I had never been so sad and excited at the same time. I had packed all my things which wasn't much but enough, put them into my car kissed my mum and hugged my sister then jump in the car and I was off.

My apartment wasn't to far away from the family home only about 20 minutes away. I finally got there open the door and took a deep breath I did it I had just began my life as an adult.

Now the apartment wasn't that big, the kitchen and the lounge room were connected, there wasn't a long hallway leading to different rooms just one bedroom and a bathroom it wasn't much but I didn't really need much. I didn't have any furniture yet, I had ordered a bed, sofa, fridge etc, but there was a mix up and they wouldn't be getting here till tomorrow but I didn't mind cause it was mine all mine. My mum called shorty after I got there just to see if everything was all right I could tell by the sound of her voice that she had been crying but I didn't say anything cause I didn't want to make it worse so I told that everything was fine and that she had no reason to worry, I didn't tell about the mix up I didn't want her to feel bad.

It became night and I had Chinese food delivered to me, I ate it using a box as a table while I sat on the floor. Then it came time to go to sleep I had no bed but I did have a pillow and a blanket so it wasn't that bad even though the floor was hard, I was just happy to be there.

The next morning came and all the furniture had arrived I put everything in the right place stood back smiled and said this the start of a new beginning.

I had been living in the apartment for 2 months now I had figured out some of its quirks like the shower nob that you have to shake for it to work or the window that isn't sealed properly and let's a little air in but I didn't mind, it was more reasons for me to love it. It wasn't always great I had noisy neighbours that stayed up all hours playing music. I had a job where I worked while also going to college. The job at the bakery didn't pay much but it was enough for food, electricity, water and other essentials.

I had just passed the 6 month mark of living in the apartment when the roof started to leak I told the landlord about it and he said he would have it fixed by the end of the day but he didn't it didn't end up getting fixed until 2 weeks later so until then I had a bucket that I had change every few hours. Then a month later the heater broke and being in the dead of winter which was the worst possible time but that didn't take long to get fixed.

I had been going to college for almost a year now and I had been taking classes but I hadn't yet picked a major, I just didn't know what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I took classes that I found interesting but not so hard that I wouldn't pass. I had a few friends at the college old highschool mates I also had friends that I didn't know from highschool people who like me had left home for the first time and had had some struggles as well. It had been a while since I had been on a date I had just been so focused on school work and making sure I didn't miss any payments, I went on a blind date with someone my friend had picked, we met at a restaurant that neither of us had been to we sat down and chose our food and drinks and then we started talking we talked though the entire meal. We left the restaurant and walked not really going anywhere in particular just talking then we said goodbye with a kiss on the cheek.

We had been dating for several months when I suggested we move in together, the very next day we unpacked her things into my apartment and it was great timing cause the noisy neighbours had just moved. She brought her dog along it was little and didn't take up much space which was a good thing cause we didn't have much.

It was the start of my second year in college and I had figured out what my major was going to be, financial business, we went out with friends to celebrate but we weren't really celebrating my major instead I was going to propose, I got down on one knee asked the big question and she said while crying yes and just like that we were engaged and a year later we were married.

It was now my final year in college and we had made a decision that would change our lives for ever after we finish college we were going to start a family the only problem was that we would need to get a new place to live, even though we loved living in the apartment we didn't have enough room so we had to go looking and we found the perfect place my family home. My sister had moved out the year before and my mum was all alone in that big house so she decided to move and offered it to us we said yes straight away. The drive to the college was a bit further away but we didn't mind. The end of the year came and I graduated, I was offered a job at a big company that paid a decent amount of money. My wife graduated the next year and became a lawyer at a small but important law firm a few months later she was pregnant with a baby girl. I knew that it was going to be a rough couple of months but it got worse when my mum had died in an terrible accident I was going through the worst pain in my whole life but my wife stood by me. We had our daughter and we named her after my mother we raised in that house until the day she went to college and moved into her own apartment. My life had began in that house from when I was baby and I had gone through many chapters of my life in different places I had gained people and lost a very important one but I'm still great full for all those moment and lessons that I had learned, now I enter a new chapter of my life and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next.

December 17, 2019 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.