The families who created a home in Eden.

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Set your story in a remote winter cabin with no electricity, internet, or phone service.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Inspirational Science Fiction

I will tell you of a man, his wife, and two teenage children. Now this man had a dream and a purpose burning in his soul. To do the unimaginable, but when Donald Trump took over the Structural Leadership he lead the birth of the United Federation of America. Donald Trump with the help of Joseph Biden who took charge of the Federal Leadership created a better society and aided everyone to destroy the disease that almost destroyed them.


You see this man loved spending his winters in his fathers log cabin growing up, a time they learned to live off the land and adapt to natures toughest winds. The times they got stuck inside due to blizzards blowing outside. So after having to watch his father dig his way out to find fire wood when the main supply ran out. This tradition was formed after the near destruction of the climate. The time where fathers teach their sons how to adapt and mothers taught their daughters how to lead.


Now since he was a child he was not aware of the dangers his father took every winter, except for what he learned in school. One day he decided that he would follow his father to the woods that surrounded his fathers cabin, He thought he was going the right way. So he followed the tracks like his Mentor explained to him and his class. What was he thinking, he never did this before except when he had to fish for him and his family. Going into the woods like that with Just a blanket, a saw, and the clothes he was wearing was dangerous. Poor kid he only wanted to become a man, just like his father strong and brave. What he did not expect was the dangers he would soon experience and have to overcome. Things no one could prepare him for.


The sounds of the whistling winds, at first startled this 16 year old. However, he remembered what he was taught, to listen to the songs of the world around him. This would comfort him. He wished he stayed in the cabin that his father built with his father but he chose to leave. Even though his intentions of helping were good he still would have been safer in the warmth, but this would not let him join the field he wanted. This child was smart because in his school they started to teach children how to survive. He just has not experienced it before in a real situation before.


Now that he knew he was lost and it was cold out. He began to make a shelter in the snow. He made the icy walls three feet thick and designed a hall leading to the trees. This way he could get fire wood for warmth. He had adjusted to his situation within one day which was good he was top of his class. This was because the Educational Structure taught him that adapting is key to survival. Every time he was done burning he mixed the soot with the snow and he used it to create a barrier on the outside of his ice fort. When the snow melted the wall of hardened ash he piled more snow on top of that keeping the temperature and walls to weaken. Of course he had his chimney set up near where he burned to keep the air fresh. it seemed that the peat moss that was planted instead of grass kept the oxygen levels steady and gave him a soft place to sleep.


By the time he had reached his first month mark he had lured in some rabbits which fed on vegetation he brought in from the homes of the Rabbits. Now he had a food source, bugs and rabbits. Now this may sound disturbing but at least he was alive and surviving. His icy shelter turned into a soot made cave system with peat moss growing on the wall. He even had his own fur coat to honor the rabbits he had to kill. By the time this journey was over he was reunited with his father who was proud of him for passing his first test of Humanity adapting and surviving.


The following year he came to the woods. This time he was left near the center of the wooded area. He and the team that he learned with, were to build a shelter out of what they could find before winter. They had six months to prepare while they stayed in the cabin the young boy stayed in a year before. The only other rule was that they could not cut or dig anything from nature. They could only gather and build what was already loose and lying around. The young team had plenty of clothes for this exam and plenty of fruits and vegetables. They gathered stones, clay pieces, sticks, and leaves and began to work.


In the cabin that was constructed to use what nature would give freely. They designed an aerodynamic shelter that would allow the user to eat and grow food that they could grow every spring. At school they learned how to turn sand into glass and this job fell on the team leader. It felt good to be able to work knowing that Eden would not be harmed. Especially since it took a decade to bring all the asteroids to Mars and create a vast planet with green vegetation. They loved that there was only three seasons Spring, Autumn, and Winter here and the view of Ceres in the night sky brings amazement to the children learning how to survive.


They laid down the rock borders with space in between so that they could put the sticks standing at an angle. This allowed the wind to blow over the wall and not make it topple over. they then had to gather water from the stream nearby and make thin clay to dip the leaves in. While they did this the other half of the group weave the vines to create a strong skeleton for this survival shelter. When they completed their task each child's father came in and told them that they would stay with their mothers during the winter and that the fathers would have to stay in the shelter made by them and that they believed in their abilities.


The children had to make sure that it worked. They even started a compost pile for every fruit and vegetable they had. With the approach of winter they finally completed their winters project for the year. wind blew right over and around it allowing the snow to be easier to move through and the compost piles had halls leading to them. They had to lower to risk of waste in the environment so they only used biodegradable material which went into the compost pile.


Now for the final part of the exam. Can the shelter hold through a winter storm? The children were safe in the cabin where they had plenty of clean water through the filtered rain collector and the pumps connected to the chimney which practically replaced the need for electricity. Now they wait and pray that they did not fail for it meant the death or injury of their proud fathers. Winter finally was over and the fathers returned with good news their lessons on building environmentally safe structures was successful. They passed Humanities need for shelter test.


He is glad to have this memory as his family now his taking stones to the north pole and creating a new home on this once inhospitable territory using only his will to survive in harsh climates. Once he creates the slopes to guide the winds he will be able to build his home with his children who passed all the tests of Humanity. In which more then winter is used but that is another story.

January 16, 2021 18:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lunaria Dragonix
15:13 Feb 02, 2021

This is actually part of those similar space stories. All of my stories are interconnected. It is like a giant jigsaw puzzle, only making sense when you put them together in the right order.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.