0 comments

Romance Friendship Fiction


My neighbors are aliens. No, not the foreigners from Mexico or Germany but from somewhere else. Somewhere that we've never been. The Gordon family moved in next door in my junior year of college. I think I was twenty-three then. Tommy and I went over to see if we could lend a hand. That was the first time that I met Carla. Being fresh off of a break-up I didn.t believe in love at first sight until that very moment. She was a natural beauty with thick auburn hair, mesmerizing eyes and a laugh that was contagious. As we unloaded the U-Haul truck, I got the feeling that she could and would work circles around me.


This being a big college town I was happy to see that the kids were all around my own age. We lived a short ten-minute drive from the gates of the state university and Saturday night was an important event in tiger-town. I worked up the courage to invite Carla out to the game on Saturday night and the pregame foodfest that we call tailgating. I had open seating with my school I.D. to allow us to sit in the student section. I liked to get to the game early to enjoy the tailgating that I thought was the best part of the evening. I was attracted to Carla because of her big brown "cow eyes". I had never seen anybody with such beautiful eyes. She was twenty-one years old, smart and funny. When I went to pick her up on Saturday, I noticed that the whole family had the same beautiful large eyes. I chalked it up to genetics and we went to join the tailgaters for the game.


As we walked around the tailgating area, we sampled some of the best Cajun food that Louisiana had to offer, and it was all free.

I asked her about Orius where she was from. I just thought it was some small mid=western town. She said I will tell you all about where I came from but not tonight. Tonight, I am an adopted Louisiana girl having the time of my life. I said you know we can do this every Saturday. She said that would be great. I was so excited about our standing date that I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. At halftime we made our way to our seats in the middle of the purple and gold jerseys of the student section and cheered our tigers to a decisive victory. It was a great first date.


The next morning while I was trying to sleep in Tommy banged on my door. He said he was going next door to shoot some hoops and asked me if I wanted to play. No thanks I said I'm sleeping in but maybe later on around five we can start a new game. I told him to give Carla a hug for me and that I would see them later. Now Tommy who was twenty-one and in his prime was very good at basketball. He came back in a couple of hours banged on my door again, "Richard wake up, we have to talk." What I said, noticing how worn out he looked. He said "I'm pretty good at basketball, right? I always practiced and in high school they called me champ. Yes, Tommy I said, thinking his ego needed stroking, you're the best. Then he told me how Lisa, Carlas little sister, had just whooped his butt at basketball. I just laughed. No, no Tommy said! She really did outdo me today and I think she was holding back too. You know what I think Tommy, I need coffee that's what I think. Let's go down and get some coffee and a slice of pie. Mom will get her feelings hurt if we don't cut into that pie.


This year flew by and before I knew it finals were right around the corner. As I stayed up cramming for my biology final Carla came

over to bring me a plate of food. I took a break to eat. I couldn't help but realize how much our love had grown. Then she sat on the sofa, and I laid my head on her lap and closed my eyes. She stroked my head and said that maybe I was stressing too much. She might be right I thought. Maybe my retention problem was just a fatigue problem. I asked her to wake me in an hour. When I woke, I picked up my notes and began to read and study. Much to my surprise I seemed to have a photographic memory. I needed to test

this suspicion so I grabbed a magazine and read a random article.

Carla said your memory will never fail you again. It's a gift from me to you. How did you do that? I asked her. It's magic she said, and a magician never tells her secrets. She said I have another de stressor. I said that sounds good to me and I can be done studying right now. She said read your notes over

just one last time and I will meet you upstairs.


Before too long Carla came in and sat on a chair that I had on the side of the bed. She asked me to sit up and stare into her eyes and no matter what just keep looking into her eyes. O.K. I said because I was always going to keep an open mind but admittedly thought that this seemed odd. Just when I blinked I felt a currant

run through my entire body. It entered through my eyes and traveled down and exited through the soles of my feet. It was like

having sex without even touching each other. I lay there shaking.

Carla said now we can do it your way. I said I don't think I can right now. Then it just fell out of my mouth. Will you marry me? Take your finals and then we will talk about it she said. I'm going home. You get some sleep and don't forget to set your alarm clock. I love you too she said.


I finished the semester with my highest-grade point ever. Having aced all of my tests I decided to take the summer semester off. Carla and I both wanted to plan a trip and just enjoy the time we had together. We were upstairs one day planning our vacation when Mom and Dad told us to come downstairs to the dining room table. They said they had something for me. It's a gift Mom said. Dad said it is for all your hard work. I opened the small box and it was a wallet with my initials embossed on it. I told them thanks and I really appreciate it and I would treasure it forever. Mom laughed out loud and said "Richard, whenever someone gives you a wallet

you should always look under the flap. O.K. I said and I looked and found a check. Five Thousand dollars I said. This is too much, I can't take this much money. Dad said it is not up for discussion. So, I just said thank you and gave them hugs.


The next week Carla and I packed our bags and flew to Ireland. We were struck by the beauty of this enchanted place. Lush

green hills with castles on top. There were pubs that we enjoyed immensely. I carried the ring in my pocket everywhere we went looking for just the right time to pop the question. On the last night of our trip when we returned to our room, I got down on one knee to ask her once again. This time with the ring in my hand, I thought it was very romantic. Carlas' answer was unexpected. She said Richard I love you, but I can't marry you. She said I have to tell you and it's not easy for me either. So, I picked myself up and just listened to her. Maybe it was only a case of cold feet.


Have you ever heard that youth is wasted on the young? she began. Sure, I said. She continued. well, where I come from it is not.

Orius is not a small town in Somewhere, USA. It is a planet located two galaxies away. There we are born old and age backwards. We get younger. When we reach zero days we are simply gone. Are you telling me that Lisa is your older sister, I asked. Yes, she said, Lisa is older, but she is not my sister. She is a best friend, and you Richard are the love of my life and also my best friend. Trust my judgement here Richard. In twenty years, I will be just a baby, but you will have a happy and full life ahead. And when twenty years has gone by, do not be sad for me. Think back and remember the time and love we shared and know that I lived a very long and happy life.


We will be moving at the end of the month. I leave you with a heavy heart she said. I will tell you that the gifts that I have given you will always be yours to keep, along with one other gift that you don't know about yet. It's a surprise from me to you. I happen to know that you will soon find love again. When that happens give her my ring. Just one more thing when you have that little baby, do me a favor and name her Carla.


the end














September 26, 2023 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.