May Sweet Dreams Find You

Written in response to: Write a story about someone trying to raise the dead.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Horror

The echoing of the drums could be heard from far away. All throughout the temple grounds the drums were echoing and bouncing off the walls, the floors, every ornament and every lamp. Every torch held was seemingly beating. A pulse that flickered within their chests. A strong beat that pulsated all around them. They would speed up, slow down. The beating would be rhythmic and not end. It could not end. Not until the ritual was complete.

"I'm scared." She heard one of the other prisoners whisper. THey wereh uddled together and cold. Some of the other acolytes were not though. THey seemed to hold their heads up high. They seemed proud to be going into the maws of the dark gates ahead of them. Far, far off in the distance she could recognize lights. Small, dancing and fleeing back and forth in the distance. The drumming kept on going as they got closer, moving in step with the beating of the drums. They got closer and closer with every breath, with every step. They could feel the chanting getting louder. Soon the rain began to fall upon them and it was heavy. It made their clothes wet and her hair became matted to her skull. It seemed that slowly, the fear was being chanted out of her. It was soothing and strung, a guttural chanting that swayed just like the lights, back and forth between the priests. They held up their arms and then folded them back again in front of them. This continued all throughout the chant.

"Do not worry. Soon we will be elevated." Another prisoner tried to calm the worried acolyte. She was not an acolyte. She was one of the many who served in the temples who were to become acolytes. She knew what it meant to become part of the upper class on this planet. She knew what it took to become uplifted. She prayed that one day she too would be in the temple's belly and fulfilling her duty to the gods. The chanting was now louder than the drums. It became clear to her what they were saying. Dark and ponderous whispers to the gods of the highest tiers of exaltation. It was only within these walls that you would hear such prayers. Nowhere else would you hear the same guttural chanting like here. Nowhere else would these things sound the same. And each ceremony was unique. She knew this as well. One day she would share memories of this time with her descendants. Near-eternal life awaited her. She would serve and then one day become one of the Bijon. Those were the priests. Those were the ones banging the drums. To become a Bijon was to become part of the planet's people. With this privilege came the promise of at least 250 years of life. This was more than enough time to really live in this galaxy. Really live a great and fantastic life. She could repay her debts, travel the galaxy, and take advantage of all the same privileges that the Bijon had. She would be the top race!

She smiled as she envisioned her future. The large gates of the temple slowly closed, the priests that closed it marching the doors to their closure with steadfast focus and determination. Moving only so much that each step was aligned with the beating of the drums. Soon afterward they stopped. The banging of the drums far outside the temple on high pillars continued, though it seemed so distant. The temple of elevation was huge within. It was simply furbished with relics around the walls from battles the Bijon fought around the galaxy. Each temple had different relics depending on it's focus of the gods they worshiped. It mostly was a perfunctory worship however, as the Bijon were not that spiritual as they appeared to be. The temple was a stepping stone for many of the different types of species that the Bijon would elevate. They had to be incorporated in the same fashion so that they could join the fold. Soon various priests appeared from alcoves that were in the walls. Hidden doors opened as they vertically opened, sinking into the ground and opening various holes from which the priests poured. They pushed in front of them various hovering trays and they were all aligned in front of the various acolytes. The acolytes all stared straight ahead for they were not to look anywhere else until they were given the word to do otherwise. Various species lined up in neat rows, facing forward towards a large portrait of the current ruler of the Bijon that was flanked by two large flags that bore the sigil of the ruler, Supreme Archon Gozoxo.

The trays were finally all aligned in front of the various acolytes that were about to ascend. It was then to her surprise that a tray was also pushed in front of her. A small priest gestured towards the small device in front of her and nodded without a word.

A Bijon gave her a sly side-eye of recognition as he turned. It was a golden elevation device, reserved for the best of those who were in that cycle. She was going to be elevated! She had to stifle a laugh as she regained her composure and waited for the chanting to finish. As it did a large hologram appeared in front of them. Gently it bid them to "grasp the elevator" and everyone did so. The acolytes took it in their hands, as did Shona. As they all had them in their hands they began to freeze in place. Shona felt it as well, she could not move. Nothing in her body was able to stir. She felt a pain in her hand as her entire body tried to resist but it could not as the device stabbed her hand and she could feel a warmth flood her body. She noticed some acolytes in front of her fall to the ground, writhing in agony. Others lay motionless as their bodies wriggled and convulsed on the cold floor.

Shona saw her arm change shape before her eyes as she stared on in terror. Her entire body was transforming. Nanites! She noticed and realized too late what she had done. The nanites flooded her mind as they began to alter her neurons, her entire brain was being shifted and mended around. Memories began to fade, her consciousness seemed to rebel but only for a brief moment. Everything turned black until she regained consciousness. She was staring at the sea on her home planet. The waves lapped upon her feet gently in a rhythmic fashion. The water swayed to and fro and the sunset was gorgeous. It bathed the sky in hues of pink, purple and orange. She smiled and felt an ethereal bliss come over her. She could stay in this moment forever...

She did... A small portion of her consciousness was kept suspended in that moment by the Bijon. A small act of kindness reserved only for those who best served the Hegemony. "Welcome to the fold." The voice of Gozoxo echoed around the temple and the various Bijon gave a bow of recognition to their leader. Shona was no more. It was now Ax'lotzco who had acquired this body through the grace of his dynasty's service to the hegemony. Veterans of all the galactic wars, this seed was bound for greatness and so was allotted a great body worthy of the dynasty's name. The new-born Bijon congratulated one another as the robes of the acolytes were picked up by various priests who would congratulate the new-born as they went along the rows. The other acolytes were not as lucky as Shona. Their consciousness was gone forever. A blink in time.

October 26, 2023 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.