0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Crime

govindraj shivaram

 <govindraj_2003@yahoo.com>

To:

govindraj

Mon, 3 Jan at 10:00 pm

SPIRIT OF THE MEDIUM

(This story is set on newly discovered earth’s twin TELLUS that is about 800 years behind us and is evolving.)

It was a bright summer morning on Rubi Isle. Gardener Hertz who was about 35 and well- muscled was tending to the plants in the public garden where he was employed. His dress covered him only waist down which was the national costume and adopted by males and females alike. Jago the superintendent of the garden now appeared and Hertz wished ḥim.

Jago smiled and said “I’m glad you’re at work so early.”

“Boss you’ve given me a quarter to live in alongside. I’ve come early to visit my friends – the plants here.”

Jago laughed and said “You should’ve  made friends as you’re a mystery man with unique power: You claim to be a medium who can make spirits of the dead talk through you.”

Hertz sighed and said “But people say I’m a fraud. Believe me I was trained under a past  master in this field. My first case was when a newly widowed woman came seeking to find where her husband had secreted the key to their safe. I invoked the dead man’s spirit and told the woman that the key was on top of the 4th pillar of the barn and it was found there. I again assert I’m not faking. I’m sure I’ll prove myself.”

Jago recalled how he had recruited Hertz. The man had been shipwrecked and had been lying on the sea shore one morning. Jago had helped him to normalcy, and learning he had been a gardener had appointed him as a staff of the public garden.

Jago said “Okay you’re an experienced medium. Some people here had sought your help as a medium but you didn’t succeed.”

“Master there were reas ons for it. Those were mostly frivolous calls. Please do not look down on my psychic powers. I’m determined to succeed in the field.”

Jago said “I wish you well. You continue gardening. I’ve to go elsewhere.”

Later that day landlord Fez was seated worried in his house. He was wealthy and his worries were not of a financial nature. He called a servant and said “Tell Wizma to see me immediately.”

Wizma was an astrologer and witch and received a regular pay from Fez for her services. The middle aged woman Wizma soon stood in front of Fez.

Fez said with anger “I had asked you to sound Xima about marrying me. That was three days ago. But you haven’t perhaps done it. Why am I paying you so handsomely  when you’re unable to carry out my instructions?”  Xima was the chief minister’s daughter.

Wizma was silent. Fez continued “I told you to cast a spell on her so that she would consent if I myself proposed to her. You still haven’t told me if you had done it.” 

Wizma was silent a few moments and then said “I had delayed giving you bad news. She said she definitely didn’t want to marry you. If she had been undecided, my spells would have worked. She said firmly she didn’t want to be a second wife though your first wife Budma has passed on.”

Wizma was again silent a moment and then said “She has also heard the rumour that Budma was murdered.”

Fez said “Nonsense! Everyone knows that she lost her life in a boat accident on the river.”

Of course Wizma had heard  that. The body had been found 4 days later and it was certified that she had indeed drowned. She said within herself “But I myself couldn’t believe it as she was athletic and was a good swimmer.  Also the river had been flowing calmly and besides there was no killer underwater life to endanger her.”

Seeing Wilma silent Fez said “Talk about Budma having been murdered had reached me also and I had countered it. The rumour is baseless.” He paused and then said “All in all you haven’t done a good job in influencing Xima to marry me.”

 Wizma was provoked and spoke up “I’m going to get Hertz to get to the truth.”

“Do so. I don’t care. He has been called to help by many but there isn’t a single case where he has found the truth.” He paused and added “I’ll find someone else more competent to take your place.”

Wizma’s anger knew no bounds, and she said “Do so. You don’t know what people are saying about you.”

“Speak up” he thundered.

“People are saying you murdered Budma for her liaison with Plaq the lighthouse boss.”

Fez laughed and said “I was her man and she had no need to seek another. And here I’m looking for another woman to replace Budma! Would I do it if I was an incompetent husband?”

“Therein lies the truth!  I’m seeking Hertz’s help to get at it.”

Wizma walked out with high dudgeon.

A couple of days later Wizma lay in wait in the evening and caught up with Hertz on his way to a tavern. She said “Hertz, I seek your help to get Budma’s spirit to talk as I want the truth.”

He knew the background and rumours like all others. He said “It’ll cost you money not only for paying me but also to pay witnesses and for creating a large fire.” He gave her an estimate when she pulled out a bag and said “Here is half the estimated amount. You’ll receive the balance after Budma speaks through you. Now go on and gorge yourself in drink.”

Hertz laughed and sad “Okay. You get ready with the witnesses and a fire in the burial ground where her last rites were performed. It should be at night when there is perfect silence all around. I’ll be there after you’re ready.”

Wizma was ready in a week. She along with two witnesses were near a large fire when Hertz joined a couple hours around midnight. Fez who had heard of Wizma’s arrangements was also present. It was silent all around and the fire now went above a man’s height. Hertz chanted his mumbo jumbo and threw some powder into the fire while beseeching Budma’s spirit to answer queries. Unfortunately his repeated nudging didn’t have any effect. He said “Her spirit isn’t answering. We’ll try once more after a week.”

Those who had gathered dispersed disappointed.

Only 2 days later there was a surprise development: Budma presented herself and said “I heard about the happenings and have returned to tell the truth. Fez attempted to drown me while taking me alone on a leaky boat as he suspected that I was in love with Plaq the lighthouse boss. I pretended to be dead but swam away. The body that was found 4 days later was that of another woman. Her exact identity couldn’t be traced and it was assumed it was me. Fez wasn’t man  enough for me. He needs to be punished. I’ve decided to marry Plaq.”

Fez was nowhere to be found. It was said he had sailed away in one of his own ships carrying his valuables. 

Hertz met Wizma and said “My attempt to contact Budma’s spirit had failed as she wasn’t dead.”

She said “I understand.”

A few weeks later there was a rumour that the Maze diamond which Fez had owned had been offered for sale. Wizma at once contacted Hertz and said “We don’t know if the diamond was offered  for sale by Fez himself. He could also be dead and the owner of the jewel could’ve wanted to trade it. Let us try contacting Fez.”

Hertz said “I’ll do it at my cost.”

Three days later in the night,  Hertz and Wizma were near the seashore when 2 witnesses  joined them. There was silence except for the gentle lapping of waves in the distance. A large fire was raised after which Hertz chanted his mumbo jumbo as he threw a powder into the fire. He repeated it and turned his ear towards the fire. As the flames flared Hertz said “Fez, come closer and tell me about your death. I’ll repeat it to the others here.”

 Suddenly the fire crackled when Hertz said “After I knew that Budma had returned I fled with many of my valuables including the Maze. The pirate Blitz, who had apparently been tipped off, seized  my boat and threw me into the sea where I lost my life.”

Hertz had indeed been a spirited medium!

NND





January 05, 2022 13:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.