1 comment

Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age

“Now Malcolm, what did we say about assumptions beforehand?” “To not make assumption first but to hear things out and depends on the situation to let things play itself out.” “Very good, because in some scenarios or a sudden event, if you let its natural course take its role, itself will play it out in its own time naturally.” Ocho, ocho, ocho! “Sounds like you are a receiving a cold?” “I have been sick a little bit and I feel cold.” “Luckily for you I am making some tea.”

 The kettle cried out loud as if a baby child was ready to eat as the winding cold whistle outside the windows. “I will prep you some to attack this cold and please continue on as I prep the tea? “Ok” “Now Malcolm, tea is a healthy remedy that helps the body relax and releases the inner sickness that sometimes lay dormant.” “I could see that, I have never been a big tea drinker, the only tea that I have drank was sweet tea.”

The doctor roars with laughter of deepen joy in the stomach of laughter that came out like a hyena. “Ha ha. Sweet tea is a just an everyday candy drink. Now I am giving you some hot green tea with a splash of Tequila and mint leaf.” “What, you giving alcohol?” “No, I giving you natural medicine that will combat that cold and open up your mind so your body can relax digest all the remedy that you need. How is school going for you Malcolm?” It’s good, I am making good grades and enjoying football. I have been making most of the tackles for the team and won the defensive player for two weeks in a row.” “That great and good job, here is the tea and let it settle for a little bit and then sip it slowly.”

 “Football has been helping me and releasing those inner angry in me and plus it makes me feel good that I am helping our team get closer to win district and give us the chance to make playoffs for this year.” “I am glad that you are releasing your anger in a better output, but have you been tackling on what is causing you to get so angry with so much it built up that you explode hard on the field so aggressively, and where are you letting it build up?” Malcolm felt some wetness in his hand and look down and saw that he squeezed his hand so hard, his finger cut into his hand. He did not put to much notice into and did not want to rise worries into the doctor and continue on as normal.

“Well honestly Doc, I have been struggling with the everyday things some time. I feel so much pressure of life in general, I have to be the perfect son being an awesome athlete, be a straight A student, and be the overall popular person in town that has every figure out and line up for the future. But really, I did not have it. I am lost of what I want and the sense of general that I want to take.” “Take a drink from the tea.” “Mmm thats dam good tea, very soothing on the throat.” “Good.”

“But anyway doc, everybody believes that I can get a football scholarship and go on to be a great player and make something of myself, but I just want to finish out football at high school and go to school and be a geologist that studies and research different variety of nature’s volcanos, artic glaziers, and see the different parts of the world that I learn more about the earth. And everybody keeps on pushing me to be something that I am not. I love football and the things that come with it, but my true passion it academic learning. Mmm tea is so good.” “I understand Malcolm, this is the first time you have really have expressed your full thoughts and emotions on the matter, I am proud that you are not keeping this bottle anymore.” Sip sip. “With the half the year over and all these letters of potential of scholar offer coming, it’s hard to tell my folks about what I want and I just don’t want to disappoint anyone.” His drawn face of disappoint that he may give showed through his cherry face. Malcolm always got this way when he felt pressure.  “Remember this Malcolm, your parents must be proud of you of what you have accomplish and they will always be proud of you, don’t let your fears and in secures direct you in the wrong path, because you feel pressure to. Talk to your parents about this and let them know entirely of the road that you want to pursue. It’s okay to not follow the norm and adventure out on your own of a whole new different path. That’s how people expand and be successful in their own way of life. Do you want to pursue and what will make you happy?”

 “Doc, I just want to go to school and be a geologist, meet a beautiful woman for who I am and not what I can do, and just live a simple and normal life.” “That is more than reasonable enough and a simple general direction also. On these letters…” “Here doc, I brought them here.” A handful fell into the doctor’s hand. Sip Sip. “Is the tea helping Malcolm?” “Yes, my throat is not scratchy or my I can breathe through my nose much better.”

“Good. I see that you enjoy the tea and you sound much better. You have a different variety of offers of schools from Division I to III football program in the state, and couple from out of state.” “Yes, I have look through a couple of them and put them to the side, because I felt down and my mind started to race some form anxiety and worry.” “I understand what you are saying, but if you want to make that lead charge of your life, then you must dive into this and do your research of what you desire and take hold of it. Lets take a look into some of these programs and see what they offer academically along with the offer of scholarship money that they can financially provide in aid.

After going through 10 different program of academic of research and learning most of what can do the doctor and Malcolm narrow it down to 3 schools. “You like these academic programs that we have selected down to, if you did not, say something, it’s your life.” “Doc I am happy what I decided and have a better idea what to say to my parents.” “Now I do have some advice to think about and maybe to use. Have you thought using football as a way of transport to get where you need to and use it as much as you can? I understand that you love the sport and want to end that chapter, again think about it, use their financial aid to pay for your schooling and you can use your position as a football player to build credibility on your campus and gain more public relations to expand yourself.”

Sip Sip. “Like the sound of that, but I am tired of football, and I want to remember it for the love of the sport, not turn it into a business of wins for the school.” “I understand that you have your own agenda of personal views of the sport and how it is manipulated for the others and things itself. Use your love of the sport to transfer one love to another potential love for your life goal that your pursuing. You can gain so much more through this talent that you have and use it to your full ability. Just think about it Malcolm? I know that your family is wealthy but average everyday people of working, in which is no problem at all. Your family will anything to help you and will put everything on the line to make things happen, but you can help your family much better if take this opportunity and run with it. “You do make sense of this and I will take your advice.” Malcolm finished the second cup of tea and lick his lips off. “Got to get every drop of it.” “You look so much better and your cold looks to be gone as the wind also.” “I sure do feel much better with the tea and getting everything off my chest.

Well Doc I must get home after 2 more hours than I suppose to. I am sorry for that and my parent’s money also.” “Malcolm the pleasure was mine and don’t worry about today session and the money, this one is on me. Here are some teas you help you in general, since you enjoyed them.” “Thanks doc, how some Tequila with that?” As Malcom grinned with slim smile of come on doc pretty please. “Malcolm get on home son.” “Alright Doc laters!” The doctor wave back at Malcolm as he pick up his bike from the yard and rode off to the pastern field. Ocho Ocho! The doctor thought to himself. I think I need a cup of tea myself. 

January 14, 2022 23:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

VJ Hamilton
01:03 Jan 25, 2022

Nothing like planning a future over a cup of tea! Thanks for a good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.