0 comments

Inspirational Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

My name is Thomas. As a neurotic writer, I must write when the brain tells me to, like therapy. Self-therapy with reluctancy.

For that, I need a certain amount of calm, a space that isn't easy to find. After many moons of trial and error, someone suggested I adopt a cat. 

That I'll be doing myself a favor, I'll be doing the cat definitely a favor and I'll be making the world a better place. 


What could go wrong, right? "Hmm"...i thought to myself..., " that might not be a bad idea!". Actually, it might turn out the be a great idea. 


Next, all I could think about was accomplishing that mission and me being me. I started envisioning life with such a company. It could also inspire me, i thought, help me with my depression and be my best friend as what i mostly need is silence with a stoic presence. Isn't that a cat? 

I imagined myself petting its fur, hearing him or her purring with that out of this world magnificent sound that only cats can do. 

Yes, I stoked myself up good. And couldn't wait for the shelter to open in the morning.

Of course, that excitement wouldn't let me sleep, my mind worrying about several aspects of the adoption process. Whatifisms everywhere. What if he doesn't like me? What if she has the wrong character and our zodiac signs aren't compatible? What if she doesn't like to be petted or even touched? I heard they're cats like that. Or worse, what if he escapes as soon as i open the front door? OMG.


By this time, I'm freaking out and need to calm down by any means. Heading to the bathroom cabinet to grab an anti-anxiety pill, I noticed a huge sign. The cup that contained the toothbrushes, toothpaste and the magical dental floss had the image imprint of a kitten with a blue ribbon tied on top of his head. I never really noticed it before. I did see it but paid no attention to it. Didn't really have a reason. Tonight it meant volumes and the emotion that poured out from my heart gave me an intense sense of relief. 

His little tiny face was telling me that everything will be alright. That's all it took to relax my mind and soothe my soul. Such a beautiful photograph. Lucky is the person that has him, I concluded as i turned the light off and went to bed. 


--She IS beautiful!- the young girl filling up the adoption papers exclaimed with excitement. 

--I'm sure you both will make each other very happy!-- she continued with a big smile on her freckled face. 

--i hope so,-- i replied, sheepishly. --she does have very kind and innocent eyes--


I had no idea i was taking hurricane Charlie to my home that morning. 


This must've been the most active creature I've ever seen. 



Ever. This baby was so happy it made my home hers within minutes of being there. Something ain't right, I thought to myself.

I called my ex wife, Marcela, for clues, since she was reincarnated from a cat, I was sure. 


--she's healthy,! She said...-that's normal. You should be happy, not alarmed --

--Yes, but she won't stop, it's like she's plugged into an electrical outlet!--

--she'll get tired soon, then she'll stop. Typical feisty kitten, let it happen. She'll be alright--

--what about me?-- i was expecting peace and calm, not an electrified feline climbing every door in the house!-- i said, frustrated.

--what did you name her,?... something sweet, i hope--

--i don't know, i don't know. I haven't thought about it, she won't give me a moment to even think!--


--Houdini, I guess," I finally said. --That will suit her perfectly. One moment she's here, next instant she's gone.--


--Hahahaha!!! That's perfect, Thomas! Great name, really.--


Marcela was right, she did come down. Ever so slightly. She was also right about getting carpenters that I could barely afford to install a kitten playground.... On the walls! 

So much for having my apt beautifully arranged with art deco. 


Houdini lived on those walls. Except when I sat down to write on my computer. Then, she wasted no time to come and express herself in all her glory fully stretched on the keyboard, looking at me upside down and loving it.


My biggest breaks were when she was sound asleep on her favorite dinosaur hangover on her favorite wall. Inches away from her favorite victim, me. 

She ate with me, she slept with me, she walked with me. She followed me everywhere. Even when I went to the bathroom, she'd wait outside so that when I reappeared, she could jump on me like the prey I have become.


Work? Not so much. Thankfully, after I complained to anyone who would listen to my inability to make any real progress, a writer friend told me that all is not lost. But it will take some getting used to. 

Speak your ideas, including dialogue into a mic and save them on your phone as a file. 


Of course, even that needed Houdini's approval as she was interested in who I was speaking to when replayed what I just recorded. Then, she'd jump into my lap and start poking the source, sometimes she would try to bite it. I kid you not. Talk about curiosity...


So much energy. But it was good energy; playful, not destructive. All she wanted to do was inspect everything, explore and play.


Couldn't ask for a better companion and I hope she felt the same about me.


The quality of my life got better all around. I became more productive, more positive and even the depression was a thing of a distant past. 

People noticed the difference so it wasn't my imagination. Not at all. 


A revolutionary kitten causing havoc in a house that used to be mine but now was hers, taught me a lesson you don't learn in any school or any book.

A lesson that only an animal's love can show you.


Hence. Be careful what you wish for. It may be exactly what you need. 

Love.


March 01, 2023 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.