The Day I Made the Whole Thing Up - It's the thought that counts!

Submitted into Contest #193 in response to: Write a story containing the words “it’s the thought that counts.”... view prompt

2 comments

Middle School LGBTQ+ Fiction

Today, I got back my score for my take-home English Book Report.

I had been waiting for what felt like a lifetime.

You may ask me why, Peggy Jane Harper, would a girl like you - top of the fifth grade class - worry about your grades.

Well, you see, the problem is… I did not read a book.

In fact, I made the whole thing up.

I had a busy weekend. I had done some amazing things, and simply saying a book report was not in the cards.

Over the weekend, my mom and ma took me to a theme park!

The three of us woke up so early it was still dark out and drove south until we got to Ride Play Park! By then, the star snuck over the horizon and we ran through the gates. 

We ran to the roller coaster first before I became too scared. I have to go on the scariest ride first! Then, I can do almost anything! As the roller coaster train leaves the station, we leave earth and head into the sky. 

We climb higher and higher.

And higher, and higher.

We were up so high I could reach out my hand to pet the soaring seagulls!

I was scared, but Mom was holding my hand and Ma chanted “Here we go!”

We finally reached the top, and I held my breath. This is the scariest part, seeing the whole world all at once from the sky. 

It was all laid out, and I was the king of the world, towering over even the tallest person. My toes gripped my flip flops for dear life as we dangled, waiting to fall space.

It felt like forever. Just waiting for— WeEEEEEEeeEEEEEEEEE oh nOOOoooOOO yaAAAAAAAy! We dropped from the top and twisted and turned and cartwheeled and bounced all the way back. Our train entered the station at 100 miles per hour, and quickly came to a stop. I finally stopped hold my breath. I turned to Mom and said “That was… fun!” 

We grab a snack at the food kiosk. I got chicken nuggets, my favorite! Ma got an ice cream sundae, and mom got the biggest salad I ever did see! They split between them, and I had my nuggets. Then, we walked around and they bought me a cotton candy. So yummy!

We skipped hand and hand to the next ride, an easy one– the carousel. 

The horses were such brilliant colors: bright pink, neon orange, lavender. I, of course, picked my favorite, Mr. Butterscotch! The prettiest golden horsey in the whole colorful moving kaleidoscope of horses! As the music begins to play, the horses slowly start the prancing dance. Ma told me the song is called The Streets of New York, but all the carousel music sounds the same to me. We start spilling round-and-round, picking up pace to each note. I try to reach out and grab the brass ring. I miss each round. Finally, I use the post next to me to gain momentum. I finally grabbed one! BUT it is dingey. Darn! I really wanted that free carousel ride. 

I look over at Mom behind me. She has a giggle in her cheeks and says “Look Peg! I got it! I won!” I quickly sadden, but Mom gives it to me anyway. She wants me to have the ride and try again! So kind of her! 

I hand the gold ring back to the ride operator. They smiled at me and let me back through. Again! Mr. Butterscotch and I ran the rodeo, prancing about. I reached and I swang with all my might! I finally think I— GOT IT! I CAN’T BELIEVE I DID IT! I WON!

And I did it all myself!

My family and I giggled and skipped and laughed the rest of the day.

Then, it was Monday.

Monday was not my day.

I barely made it to school. Ma had to drag me out of bed. Even my alarm clock couldn’t get me to rise awake, and I am usually the first person in my house to wake up! Pickles, our orange tabby cat, watched Ma pick me up and carry me to the car. She brought my clothes and said “Get ready, put your dress on!”

At least it was my favorite dress. I love dresses because they are so so comfy! And it was green, my favorite color, with little flowers picnicked throughout. My white ruffle socks and black shiny maryjanes really made the outfit, as well as my sparkle headband. Ma knew how tired I was, and started my day off great.

We had classes. We started with science, learning about the stages of water. Not the first thing I want to do on a Monday morning, but I do love science. Especially learning about gravity and roller coaster! We then had snack, math, and just about when it was time for lunch, my teacher said “Don’t forget, when we come back we will be handing in our book report!”

Oh. No. I. Forgot.

I grabbed my red construction paper from my desk and a few pieces of looseleaf paper. 

I sat in the lunchroom and quickly scarfed down my peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich cut into triangles with a banana on the side and a apple juice box and a cookie. I just wanted to enjoy my lunch, but as the top student I am I must try to save the situation.

So I made my own book. I SPRUNG into action and created a little picture book of my roller coaster and carousel experience over the weekend. My hands have never written so fast! I drew pictures of Mom and Ma and I walking and holding hands, having snacks, riding rides, and having just the absolute best day ever!

I wrote a little book report to go with my book. The author was fantastic! Amazing! Best selling!

I really hoped my teacher would like it! It really was my best work.

I missed recess, but at least I made sure to finish my book report!

We came back to class, and I paperclipped my book report on top of the book. I thought I was cunning, clever, and magnificent! This would be the best of all the book reports.

And I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

And finally, my teacher, almost two weeks later on a rainy friday, handed back our book reports.

I was the last person to get my book report back. It said in bold red marker SEE ME on top.

Oh no.

The rest of the day was a blur. I could not pay attention because I was so so soooo worried about my grade.

Finally, the bell rang, dismissing us.

As my friends collected their school bags and things, I mustered the courage to talk to my teacher.

I brought the assignment back to her desk.

She sat there, glanced at the rubric, and said “You forgot to do the assignment, didn’t you.”

She did not ask a question; rather, she stated the fact of the matter.

I told her, “No Miss, I forgot.”

“Well,” she said, smiling, “it is the thought that counts. I really enjoyed seeing your creativity, it was much better than reading some of the book reports on Moby Dick, that I know no one read. I will give you an 'A' this time, but don’t let it happen again.”

And that, my friends, is the story of how I made up a whole book report. Creativity is the key to being successful, even when you don’t know what you’re doing.

April 13, 2023 00:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Brad Heald
21:50 Apr 20, 2023

A enjoyed your story. Your description of the dress was delightful. I smiled throughout and appreciated the teacher’s decision.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
10:27 Apr 16, 2023

Cute, Lauren. I didn't know that 5th graders read "Moby Dick." There must be a child's version out there. Interesting. This exchange confused me: She sat there, glanced at the rubric, and said “You forgot to do the assignment, didn’t you.” She did not ask a question; rather, she stated the fact of the matter. I told her, “No Miss, I forgot.” Maybe it needs to be worded a little differently. A good tale with a good moral. good work. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.