Night Fright

Written in response to: Set your story during the night shift.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Suspense Thriller

You wandered the empty halls of the high school. You pass by an abandoned classroom and remember learning in that room. You run your fingers on the baby blue-painted cinderblocks. You close a locker. You turn the corner and see a classroom door propped open. You walked in, careful to avoid the desks. You sit down and stare at the whiteboard. you read the lesson for tomorrow, or today. You pull out your phone and check the time, 11:33 P.M. Your shift ends at 6. You get up and continue aimlessly wandering the halls.

You hear a loud commotion from where you came from. You turn off your flashlight and walk blindly to the source of the noise. You see the classroom that you were in only minutes ago had been torn apart. The door is ripped off, the desks are mere dust, and the chairs have been thrown through walls. You back up hoping to not make any noise, but you run into the wall and a book falls off a shelf. That's when it turns to you. It is a tall dark figure. Hunched over with gleaming golden eyes. You know it's hungry.

You run out of the classroom and hear its sharp claws pounding after you. It lets out a loud growl, one that you have never heard before. You have turned several corners and notice it is not behind you. You slow down and see another open locker. You used to fit in these when you were younger. You wedge yourself in and close the door just in time. That thing runs right in front of the locker. You let out a sigh of relief but the monster comes running back in your direction. It stops in front of the locker and starts sniffing. It turns its head and looks at you through the vents. It smiles an unnatural smirk. It knows you're trapped.

It reaches towards the front of the locker and opens it. It turns and runs away. It still wants to play with you.

You crawl out of the locker and stretch. You know your screwed but you donIt reaches towards the front of the locker and opens it. It turns and runs away. It still wants to play with you.

You crawl out of the locker and stretch. You know your screwed but you don't want to figure out what happens if it catches you. It gave you one freebie but will it give you another? You start running in the opisitue direction. As you run you hear it screech in glee, it can still play with its food. You pick up the pace. You screetch to a stop when you turn a corner. The front doors. They should't be open, but they are. Is the creature playing with you? You slowly aproch the doors, the night wind blowing through your hair. You stop. One more step and your out of here. You don't hear it, maybe it left? Thats when you see it. There are more of them out there.

You turn around. That thing is looking at you. It cocks its head and smirks. Its almost human. It lungs. You duck but it wasn't lunging for you. It runs outside and screechs. You are its food, not theirs. The other monsters run away. It crawls back in side and closes the doors. You remember that there has to be some other way out of here, but do you want to run out into more of them? It montions for you to move. You turn around and start jogging. You don't hear it run but you know its eyes are following you.

You see a sign reading library. You open the doors and walk to the back. You hide behind shelves lined with information you just had to learn in high school. You pull out your phone and check the time 3:14 A.M. You scroll through the news, there has to be some reports about these things?

Half of the US is flooded by these creatures. No one knows what they are but we have some theories. All we know is that they play with. They will play with you for hours until it finally ends its crude game. Be warned becau-

Your phone shuts off before you could read more of the article. In the election you see it behind you. Its teeth drolling. Its getting board.

You reach for a heavy book and throw it at its head. You hear the loud thump as it hits it square in the head. It howls and reach for one of its eyes. You injured it! In the process you pissed it off though. You run passed the shelves you used to spend every day in. You throw open the doors and run down the halls. The only noise is the squeak of your shoes.

It seems like hours but after a few minutes you reach the cafeteria. The back must have some kind of weapon! You search through the cabnets and find a knife. That thing runs past the cafeteria. You hide behind the counter. It runs back and approchs hyour hiding spot. You hears is claw clack against the tiled floor of the cafeteria. Yout feel something drip on to your head. You look up and the creature is standing on the counter, a mix of blood and droll dripping on to you. It jumps down in front of you and slowly aprochs, it donse't want to play anymore. You lunge for its other eye and hear a sickening squelch. It screeches and backs away from you. You blinded it! You aproch it and pull the knife out of its eye. It roars in agony. It turns and runs away, raming into a wall.

You can't let it run around, it might kill you. You still need to finish the job. You slowly approach it. Its now cowering in a corner. Its hearing is better than you thought as it turns its head to look at you. It knows what your about to do. It yells a noise you've never heard before. You bring the knife off and chop at its neck, it takes a few tries but the monster doesn't fight.

You sit down in a empty classroom. Its finally over. You can't check the time but the sun is starting to rise. You hear gass breaking in the distance and more yells from more monsters. They found their friend, and they have your scent.

September 03, 2021 14:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.