4 comments

Mystery Fantasy Fiction

On the three-thousand-four-hundred-and-fifty-third day of Edmund Granger's life as a magician, a scrap of paper fell from his pocket, skittering across the stage with a daring twitch. A gust, perhaps, or a misaligned stride. Nonetheless, an unprecedented act. Since his first day in this otherworldly trade, secrecy had been the adamant core of his success.

Under the glare of the stage lights, Edmund froze. His heart pounded in rhythm with the pulsating music, the sound thudding in his ears like an offbeat metronome. He glanced around, hoping none of the audience's eager eyes had seen the mishap. But hope is a fickle mistress, they say.

From the front row, a young woman with eyes the color of freshly-poured cement and hair of fiery red snatched up the fallen secret. She held the scrap aloft, its edges catching the light, crinkling slightly under her excited grasp. "Is this part of the act?" she shouted, the thrill of discovery morphing her voice into a caw that echoed off the auditorium's polished walls.

Edmund blinked. No act of his involved willing revelations. "I suppose it is now," he responded in an unreadable harmony of fear and exhilaration.

After the curtains closed, Edmund found her waiting. She introduced herself as Aria, a name twirling off her lips like a pirouetting dancer. And with a hesitant invitation from Edmund, they retreated to his dressing room, an oddly mundane place for a man whose job involved the extraordinary.

"So," she began, holding the scrap of paper between them. "I'm here. Tell me about this." Her eyes glowed with an unsettling yet invigorating curiosity.

A secret, once confined to the written form, was just that—a secret. Spoken aloud, it took on a life of its own, morphing into an entity that danced on the edge of betrayal and liberation. Edmund hesitated, pondered the potential consequences, then began to unravel the knots of his trade.

"Each step in magic," he started, pointing to the scribbles on the scrap, "has an architecture of its own. In this case, the revelation of an unseen dove from a shroud of smoke. The chemicals, the movements, the distraction—it's all here. Yet, it's only a small fragment of the grand illusion."

Aria listened, her gaze moving from Edmund to the secret in her hand. When he finished, she sighed, her excitement slowly replaced by a vague discomfort.

"I had imagined," she started, her voice less excited now, "that there was something...more. A hidden world. Mysteries beyond mundane explanations."

Edmund chuckled, a sound that echoed around the room. "Isn't that the allure of magic? It takes the ordinary, the explainable, and transforms it into a spectacle. It's the same world, just seen through a different lens."

He watched as realization dawned in her eyes, not like a radiant sun but more akin to the steady glow of a digital alarm clock at midnight. The stark difference between magic as a curiosity and craft lay bare between them.

"Doesn't it rob you of the wonder, then?" she asked, her voice softer now.

He thought for a moment. "On the contrary. It makes me appreciate the wonder even more. It's easy to be awed by the inexplicable, but finding the awe in the mundane? That's the true magic."

The weeks that followed were a montage of rehearsals and shared confessions. Aria and Edmund found a strange companionship in each other; she, the seeker of mysteries, and he, the revealer of them. He taught her the artistry behind the trickery while she reminded him of the raw fascination of those who knew no better.

Aria became a regular fixture at Edmund's performances. And each time, she watched with a fresh sense of awe; for now, she was not just an observer. She was part of the grand illusion. Each billowing shroud of smoke, each levitating object, was no longer merely a spectacle but a familiar secret. Yet, the magician himself remained an enigma to her.

"Who are you, really, Edmund?" Aria asked one evening. They were backstage, lingering in the ethereal glow of the setting sun that crept in through the half-open window.

He smiled, his eyes narrowing slightly as they often did when he was about to reveal a trick. "What do you mean?"

She leaned back in her chair, crossed her arms, and studied him intently. "Behind all the smoke and mirrors, the costumes and the theatrics, who is Edmund Granger?"

He looked at her, his eyes contemplative. "Would knowing that change anything?"

Aria hesitated, then shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not."

Edmund chuckled, the sound as familiar to her now as her laughter. "Alright then," he said, leaning forward, his eyes serious. "I'll tell you the most significant secret, the truth about Edmund Granger, but only if you promise never to share it."

Aria nodded, the air between them charged with anticipation.

Edmund began, his voice steady. "I was not always a magician. There was a time when I was just like everyone else, fascinated by the mysteries, enchanted by the unknown. But then something changed. An incident that should have ended me made me see things differently."

He hesitated, then continued. "I was in a car accident. I was pronounced dead at the scene, but somehow, I survived. When I came back, I saw the world with a new perspective. I saw the extraordinary in the ordinary. I saw magic."

Aria watched him, her eyes wide. The shock of his revelation rendered her speechless. He watched her struggle for words, then grinned.

"But that's not the secret, Aria." Edmund said, his voice dropping to a whisper. "The secret is, I didn't just see the magic; I became it."

Aria frowned, not understanding. "What do you mean?"

Edmund reached out, taking her hand. His fingers were warm, actual. But as she watched, her hand began to fade and disappear.

Aria gasped, pulling back. But her hand remained solid and intact. She stared at Edmund, her mind reeling from what she'd just seen.

Edmund stood up, his form shimmering like heat rising from asphalt. Then, in the blink of an eye, he vanished. Just like her hand had moments before. But the room didn't change. His chair was still indented, the faint scent of his cologne lingered in the air.

She sat there, stunned. Edmund was gone. Or rather, he was there, but not in a way she could see or touch. He had become magic, as palpable and intangible as the illusions he conjured on stage.

It took several moments for Aria to regain her composure. Then she rose from her chair, her heart pounding, her mind racing. She walked to the door, then paused, turning to the empty room and chair.

"Thank you," she said, her voice tremulous. "For the magic, Edmund."

And with that, she stepped into the world, a world where the extraordinary was hidden in the ordinary, where secrets danced on the edge of betrayal and liberation, where a magician was not just a conjurer of illusions but the embodiment of them. And she carried this newfound understanding with her, her own piece of magic in a world that had suddenly become much more magical.

July 21, 2023 14:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Susan Catucci
22:08 Jul 26, 2023

This was a delight to read, FAH. It read fresh, the dialogue was effective and it was otherworldly in an enchanting way, while also injected with wisdom. It's lovely to if we can recognize every tiny moment in our lives as gifts, if not exactly magic. The connection you create here between a magical miracle maker and the outsider given a glimpse is so well played and promising. Well done! A well written, entertaining read with a great message.

Reply

F. A. Hunt
18:46 Aug 07, 2023

Thank you so much!! I'm so glad you got it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Theo Benson
14:42 Jul 25, 2023

The line “...danced on the edge of betrayal and liberation” in regards to a secret finally being told was quite striking in my mind! You’ve got some cool concepts here with the whole ‘becoming magic’ thing, and one of your last lines, “..where a magician was not just a conqueror of illusions but the embodiment of them”, also stuck out at me! What I wonder, is, what on earth happens to Edmund now? Does he reappear elsewhere? Is he gone forever?!

Reply

F. A. Hunt
18:44 Aug 07, 2023

Thank you for the kind words! I like to imagine he's still out there ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.