0 comments

Science Fiction Friendship Teens & Young Adult

 Deep in outer space twelve light years from earth a three man mission. Is taken place to find out what exactly in the deepest parts of space. In the years spent in space from time to time have found. Planets that could habitable for the people of earth they saved the data. In their computers for when they returned home to earth.

The reason the three man team got sent out is because earth. Is dying because all of the outside attacks from alien invasions that took place. The earth government pulled all the rest of the earth resources together. To build a fleet of ship to leave the plant on journey to find a new world. To call home but it took years to build the ships so they sent three men out to look for a new home.

In the years of earth build the fleet the men identified at least ten. New planets to live on with no contact with earth. They have no choice but to return home in hopes that they are still there. The men took it easy getting back not pushing the ships engine to hard. On the return trip are celebrating their return home each of them men telling the other. What they can not wait for when they get back home.

As the men travel back to earth one of the ships engine’s goes out. The men have to shut the ship down for repairs the navigation’s officer says.

Navigation officer: ( We have to shut the ship down to make repairs.)

Captain: ( No! We have to get the information in the computers back.)

Navigation officer: ( Sir! I know we need to get it back but if we do not stop to make repairs. We will not get there.)

Captain: ( We will slow down a little if we have to. But we are not stopping do I make my self clear.)

Navigation officer: ( Yes sir.)

Alarms are going off for the engine the captain switch’s the alarm off. The captain keeps head back towards earth, the navigation officers shakes his head. In disbelief at the fact the captain will not stop the loss of a engine means. The other is not to far behind the captain is pushing as far as he can. Before having to stop to make repair’s this choice may cost them more than they know.

More alarms start to go off the ship starts shaking like crazy. Navigation officer starts to yell ( We need to stop.) The captain slows the ship down to a crawl the whole crew and the ship. Are limping through space on barely running engines trying to find a place to land for repairs . The captain does not want to stop he wants to get as far as he can. So he keeps pushing the engines as far as he can navigational officer says to the captain.

Navigation officer: ( I know we need to get back to earth. But if we keep going the ship is going to be dead in space. Bottom line we wont get home.)

Captain: ( We will get home trust me . )

Navigation Officer: ( Okay captain.)

All three men ride in the ship as it is shaking bad the captain risking. Everything to get back to earth pushing the ship past it’s limits to get there. All of a sudden the shaking stop the alarms stop flashing. Smoke pours from both engine’s the ship is dead.

Navigation Officer: ( Captain I told you we needed to stop.)

Captain: ( This is no time for a I told you so. We need to figure out where we are.)

Navigation Officer: ( What is the point? There is no one out here.)

Captain: ( So maybe we can land and fix the ship.)

Navigation Officer: ( Oh so now you want to fix the ship.)

Captain: ( Yes I do.)

Navigation officer: ( You should have listened to me a long time ago. When we only had one to fix. Now we have two to fix we may not be able to fix them at all!)

Captain: ( Calm down! Do not start to freak out before we know what is going on.)

The captain start to hand out job for everyone to do. The navigation officer and the captain will work on the engines one at a time. The second in command will stay on board and monitor the radio for and chatter.Everything is going smoothly on the first engine they put the finishing touches on it. Then the head over to the second start working on it everything is going to plan. Till they run into a problem the engine is fried it can not be fix.

The two start arguing out side of the ship the second in command hears. A faint chatter over the radio he gets up runs to the door to tell the other.

Second command: (Sir! I hear something faint on the radio.)

Captain: ( Really?)

The captain looks over at the navigation officer says( lets go.) They all run in to the ship to hear the message. As they enter the ship a beeping comes across the radio the captain says.

Captain: ( It is Morse code.)

All the men on the ship start cheering .

Captain: ( Lets fire up the ship and go home.)

Navigation officer: ( No we should not. We should let them come to us.)

Captain: ( You have your orders now lets go.)

Navigation Officer: ( We only have one engine who know if we will even get off this rock. Let alone all the way back to them.)

Captain: ( We can send out a distress call. So they will meet us half way.)

Slowly they get the ship off the ground as they take off to the signal. They send out the distress call hoping it reach’s their friends from earth. The captain push’s the ship hard trying to make it to the signal. The ships start shaking again this time the engine blows completely taking out the cargo bay. The ship is dead in space no way to go any where everyone in the ship. Hoping that the signal reach’s their friends before they run out of oxygen.

Navigation Officer: ( I told you not to push the only engine we had sir.)

Captain: ( I stuck to this course of action to try and get us home. I new it was wrong but hopefully someone hears the signal and comes to get us.)

May 17, 2021 15:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.