16 comments

Fiction Fantasy


Gathered together as the sun rose over the water, the crowd of young women clutched their bags nervously. They looked around at each other, some attempted small talk, but most remained pensive.


Pearl felt the butterflies in her belly beat their wings as an elder approached her with a dark haired stranger walking in his shadow. 


“This way,” the suntanned elder extended his arm to the waiting boat, the rower in place, the oars calmly waiting in the water. She tentatively stepped in, assisted by the younger man who sat down on the wooden bench facing her. 


“May the moon bless you.” With a strong push, they were cast out to sea.


***


“I’m Jacob,” the handsome stranger broke the silence and smiled at her.


“I’m Pearl,” she replied, her eyes downcast, barely sneaking a peek through her lashes.


“This is for you.” 


As Jacob handed over the small velvet pouch, his fingers grazed hers. Although just for the moment, the touch was enough. The wild beating of the butterflies turned from terror to anticipation. 


***


A trio stood on shore as the small boat completed its journey to the island. The elder woman stepped forward to help Pearl off the boat, clasping her hand warmly.


“Welcome, my dear. We haven’t much time.”


Clutching her velvet pouch, Pearl glanced over her shoulder to see Jacob being led away by the elder man. The third part of the trio, a young man, pushed the boat back into the water, perhaps to make another roundtrip if time allowed.


“Are you excited? Nervous? Tell me everything.”


Pearl looked at her with surprise. “You’re the first person to ask. Not my mother nor sisters have inquired about my feelings.”


“Perhaps they do not have the words fitting for such a momentous occasion, fearing they will offend or cast bad luck. You can call me Mila, by the way. I’m thrilled to be part of your journey.”


Pearl was quiet, taking time to consider Mila’s insight, relieved that the woman assigned to her was comforting.


“Nice to meet you, Mila. I’m grateful for your assistance.”


“We have just enough time to change and have lunch before the darkness comes about. Everything is set for the ceremony.” Suddenly coming to a halt on the beach, Mila turned to Pearl. “Does he seem nice?” 


Blushing, Pearl whispered, “He does seem nice. Very nice.” 


Mila squeezed her arm, her eyes twinkling. “I knew it. I have a good feeling about this. A very strong positive feeling. Come, darling. Let’s get you bathed and into your robe.”


***


The row of canopies with their flaps blowing in the gentle breeze caught Pearl by surprise as she hadn’t expected so many couples. Jacob arrived, led by his elder, dressed in loose white trousers and matching shirt, a stark contrast to his dark hair and eyes. He smiled at Pearl as they headed towards the luncheon buffet. 


“You look beautiful,” he whispered in Pearl’s ear, catching her off guard. She blushed and looked away with a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.


Milling about with the other couples enjoying the tropical fruit and drink, Pearl began to relax, almost forgetting the importance of the day. Suddenly, the first signs of darkness approached, announcing the start of the ceremony.


“May we assemble, please,” the booming voice of the master elder rang out. The crowd quickly divided into pairs and sorted themselves two by two under assigned canopies.


“To our moon we thank you for this special alignment, this rarest of occurrences. We pray for a favorable outcome. To the sun, the moon and the earth may we form together the unions of the young men and women before you. Rings, please.”


The couples faced each other removing their rings from the velvet pouches, placing them on one another’s third finger.


“May the moon bless us all,” the booming voice concluded the ceremony.


“May the moon bless us all,” the newly married couples recited back in unison.


***


Pearl and Jacob entered their bungalow together for the first time. Sheer fabric hung from midpoint on the ceiling, draping over the sides of the bed in the middle of the room. Pearl went to the window to draw the heavy drapes when Jacob stopped her.


“The moon has covered the sun completely, allowing us the privacy you desire. Let us pray that we please the moon.” 


With that, Jacob parted the sheer fabric and reached for Pearl’s hand, guiding her to join him.


***


“Would you like more fruit?” Mila appeared by Pearl’s side as she relaxed on the lounger. Was it her imagination or were there less women lined up facing the water’s edge as the weeks went by?


“Yes, please. I’d love some pineapple if that’s ok?” 


“A craving perhaps?” Always quick with a smile and twinkle in her eye, she attentively catered to Pearl’s every whim.


“Now that you mention it, perhaps so. Pineapples are not usually my fruit of choice.” 


The two women beamed at each other. Was it possible? 


“I shall return with the best selection that the island has to offer.”


Closing her eyes she felt the gentle breeze blowing her hair and rustling her gown. Nonchalantly she placed her hand on her belly trying to detect any changes. Imagination is a strong force convincing one of almost any circumstance. She didn’t want to succumb to false hopes.


***


As mother nature advanced through her own cycle, the loungers facing the water’s edge were moved first inland to the grassy fields and then finally indoors protected from her fury by glass walls. The women continued to relax peacefully watching the palm trees bend and sway by the furious winds as the rain pounded their precious land.


Bellies grew larger, and the crowd became thinner. The island inhabitants dwindled as the women were escorted away one by one by the elders, their faces streaked with tears, their stoic husbands following closely behind as realization settled in. They were not chosen by the moon. The same boats that had brought them to the island filled with hope returned once again to take them away, back to the lives of their past.


***


After the season changed for the third time, Jacob sat by Pearl’s side, tanned by the sun reflecting off the waters, the scent of sea air hanging on, caught in his hair and his skin. He held Pearl’s hand in his own while Mila prepared the room. For the time had come, they were the last remaining couple, the chosen ones.


Pearl lay back in the bed under the sheer fabric and moaned like an animal. The pain was almost unbearable as she and Jacob moved up in status and welcomed the island’s miracle, the Moon Princess.

April 07, 2024 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Linda Kenah
23:24 Apr 15, 2024

Great job! Loved it!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
11:50 Apr 16, 2024

Thanks so much, Linda! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
13:34 Apr 14, 2024

Calm, nice, beautiful. Enjoyed.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
16:11 Apr 14, 2024

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! Thanks so much for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:42 Apr 14, 2024

Ohhh, this is an interesting one! You kept me hooked here. Slightly sinister edge to the tale. She’s one of the lucky ones. Leaves the reader imagining - in a good way. Great story.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:12 Apr 14, 2024

Sinister! I like that. It’s true, we don’t know why she is there. Was it her choice or was she forced into it and why? Hmmmm… Thanks for reading! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:18 Apr 12, 2024

I really enjoyed the intriguing world you built here and your descriptions are beautifully vivid.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:02 Apr 12, 2024

Thanks Melissa! It’s fun to dream up these worlds and set our characters in them! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
00:24 Apr 10, 2024

Beautiful story with vivid imagery. If only all marriages and pregnancies be this way.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:10 Apr 11, 2024

Thanks so much, Ty! Definitely a different approach to marriage and pregnancy that’s for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:55 Apr 09, 2024

This story flows well. It has the feeling of echoing nature, with its ebb and flow of seasons an and change. I like that you never explain the situation, but give us enough clues to draw out the information ourselves. The loungers filling and emptying slowly until one is left. An enjoyable read, thanks for sharing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:11 Apr 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Michelle!! I’m glad you enjoyed it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:44 Apr 08, 2024

Rituals rewarded.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
01:21 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks for reading, Mary! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
04:13 Apr 08, 2024

Such magic. A lovely tale that unfolded gracefully.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
01:18 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks, Trudy! Aww magic, I really like that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.