Ghost Boy

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

2 comments

Kids

Ghost Boy

Today, it was a very fun day. It was actually one of my best days. I can’t wait to tell the other kids in my grade two class, that I made a new friend and that I was a ghost boy for a day. 

It all started, when my momma woke me up at eight in the morning to eat breakfast. She made me my favourite: eggs and chocolate pancakes with extra syrup. Oh, and I had a big glass of milk too. I love milk, especially with chocolate pancakes! 

After breakfast, I took a bubble bath with all my favourite toys. My ninja turtles, my rubber animals and my water powered pirate ships. My momma always got my bubble bath ready for me on Saturdays and Sundays, but on school days she says, “Isaiah, there is not enough time.” So I only have it on two days. When I was done, I put on my Spider-Man shirt and shorts and my sandals. Then, before my momma left for work—she worked at the hospital—she pulled my long, curly hair into a ponytail. She combed my hair everyday, she always says, “Handsome black boys need to take care of their hair.” I don’t know why, it hurt. I asked her why I couldn’t just leave it out in a poof, but she didn’t like that idea too much. So, right after my hair was finished, my baby sitter, miss Carla came. She was very old and she wobbled like a penguin, when she walked. Momma says that it is not polite to laugh or make fun of people, so I tried my best not to laugh when she wobbled. Miss Carla doesn’t really do much or say much, she just sat on the couch watching tv. She does make a nice peanut butter and banana sandwich though, when I got hungry at lunch time. Today though, I did not get to have lunch, because that’s when I turned into a ghost boy. 

I was just about to ask miss Carla for my sandwich, but then I heard a strange sound. It sounded like a scary movie sound. I didn’t tell miss Carla, because she only got up to make my sandwich. So, I went to go investigate myself. I tip toed quietly, out of the leaving room and past the stairs. I heard the sound again, it came from the kitchen. I still tip toed, one, two, one, two. When I got to the kitchen, that’s when I saw the ghost. I didn’t scream or get scared, because the ghost wasn’t scary like in the movies. The ghost was a small ghost, she was easy to see, all white, with big eyes and ghostly long hair. She didn’t have legs, just a ghost tail and floated around, making ghost sounds. She didn’t see me yet, but when I giggled at how silly she was, she turned and looked me. 

“Oh, hello!” She said and smiled. 

I waved, “Hi.” 

She floated closer to me and looked at me strange. “What’s your name? I’ve never seen a tiny creature like you before.” 

“Isaiah, and I’m not a creature, I’m a boy.” I answered. 

“Ohh, well I am Moorella.” 

I tilt my head to the side confused. “Moo-rella?” 

She nods, “very good.” 

“What are you doing here?” 

She shrugged, “I’m bored.” 

“Me too,” I said. I was always bored. Momma was always working and miss Carla was so boring , she never played with me. Momma never allowed me to hangout with my friends or have sleepovers; I don’t know why. Maybe, she just wanted me to be bored all the time. 

“I have an idea,” Moorella said. “We can play together!” 

I frowned because that made no sense, I couldn’t play with a ghost, because they can’t touch anything. When I watched that scary ghost movie with miss Carla last week, the ghost couldn’t touch anything. “How? I’m a boy and you’re a ghost.” 

“I can turn you into a ghost boy then!” 

I smiled and clapped my hands excited, “Yes, make me a ghost too, make me a ghost too!” I chanted. 

Moorella smiled too and flew right through me. I felt very cold after she did that, that did not feel nice. I turned around to face Moorella. 

“Am I a ghost?” I asked, not sure. 

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “Try touching something.” 

I looked around for something to touch and decided to touch the counter. But when I did, my hand went through it. 

“That’s so cool!” 

“I know, now come on, let me teach you how to fly.” 

I nodded. I didn’t know how I was going to fly though, because I still had my legs and Moorella has a ghostly tail. 

“Now pretend like you are sucking in your legs.” 

I laughed, because that was silly. “I can’t suck in my legs.” 

“Sure you can! Just think about your legs, and take in as much air as you can.” 

I giggled again and closed my eyes and sucked in air until my cheeks were like chipmunks. Then when I opened my eyes back open, I saw that my legs were gone and I too had a ghostly tail. Moorella clapped and then grabbed my hand and helped me fly. 

“Let’s go explore now Isaiah, we only have a few hours, before you’re a boy again.” 

Moorella took me to her favourite place, a cemetery.

“Isn’t this where dead people are?” I asked, not too sure. 

“Yes, but there are no ghosts here, they all like to stay in houses.” 

“What are we going to play then?” I asked. 

“Grave, hide and seek!” 

Moorella told me that we had to take turns hiding in graves and the ‘it’ person had to find the hiding person. Moorella won most of the time, but I did win two times. I don’t know how she was so good at this game, but next time I will beat her. 

We played until it was time for me to turn back into a real boy and before my momma came back from work. She gave me a big hug before I turned back into a real boy. Then she started to slowly float away. I tried not to cry, but I was too sad to see Moorella go, I had so much fun. I didn’t want her to go. 

She turned around and smiled, “Don’t cry Isaiah, I’ll see you soon.” 

May 26, 2020 13:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Elle Clark
23:34 Jun 03, 2020

I love how authentically childlike your protagonist’s voice is! Also, it sure if the last line was supposed to be threatening but I definitely read it that way - I hope he’s okay!

Reply

Sarah Demary
20:41 Jun 05, 2020

Aha thank you so much, not really used to writing in children perspectives, but I’m glad u liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.