2 comments

Kids

A light chirp from outside my bedroom window indicated well and good that the day had put its pleasant self for display once more, the sun having driven away the dark silhouettes of dawn, and was now shining at full throttle as I parted the blinds and peered outside to behold its mighty gleam. " Another scorching day," I grunted to myself, as I trotted to the bathroom to take a shower, in an attempt to drive away the mucky sweats.


“Brrriiiinnggg!” the hallway phone chimed piercing through the thick, humid atmosphere of the bathroom, making its way to my unsuspecting ears. Grabbing my robe off the rack I made my way out of the only cool room in the house at the moment, and headed towards the hallway, already having a vague thought in mind of who could have been calling at that moment. My thoughts inadvertently served correct as Mel’s ever-so cheerful voice greeted me with the enthusiasm fit for a cheerleader.

“I’ve been trying to get a hold of you Nics, but knowing you, you were buried beneath those sheets, am I right?”

“Yeah I had a long day yesterday, the boss is making life at the office seem like a stroll in hell whilst barefoot! I can hardly keep up with it all Mel.”

“Well worry no more my friend, because I have just the treatment for your ‘office fever.’ Will and I are taking the kids to the amusement park, and I wanted to see if you would like to tag along.”

“Mel, I’m a grown woman. I think my idea of fun lies far detached from the mere idea of a kiddies park. Besides, I wouldn’t want to intrude on your family outing.”

“Nics, do me a solid and loosen up a bit, you’re not getting any younger, so embrace that inner child as often as you sure can, and anyway I’ve already bought you a ticket so there’s no way out of this.”

“Fine! I’ll come. Now what time should I be ready?”

“Oh silly, we’re already outside!”


The level of awe I felt at that moment existed unmatched by anything else. Nearly toppling over in the process, I rushed back to my room to get dressed. “What does one wear to an amusement park anyway?” I thought to myself, perusing through my closet, frantically wading the hung clothes aside continuously as though I were an Olympic swimmer faced with a tough tide. Finally settling on a colorful, knee-high floral dress that was quite aerating. Splashing on gobs and gobs of sun screen and grabbing my delicate straw hat and some glasses, I headed out, being met by the sight of my cheery pal, leaning against her husband’s KIA, her face lighting up as she saw me emerging. She held her arms out for an embrace and I did likewise, as her husband passed me a full drawn smile of acknowledgement.


Making my way to the back seat, I noted her two little minions at the back of the car. The two boys, looked at me a while after I got in, until the older one, aged 8, finally recognized me and yelped “Aunt Nicky!” and literally attacked me with a fierce hug, the younger, 6-year-old one, joining the pile up after. It had been a while since our last encounter so I really could not blame them. The gesture was very loving indeed, to the extent that I felt my heart fill up in the most unusual way. I let myself linger in the feeling of belonging for a while, until I was snapped back to reality by Mel’s voice as it stated with a pinch of disappointment, “Uh, Nics, I think you have a visitor.” I peered out the car which had not yet left the drive way, to behold a black SUV pull up on the curb.


The once pleasant day seemed to lose its eloquent radiance, the elegance of it giving in as the figure stepped out of the pitch-black car, the car's color seemingly matching the figure's persona. The figure, a male, headed towards the front door, each stride he took prideful, clothed in a purple satin shirt, one that individuals would gape at for being ever so highly priced, a dark gray corduroy pair of trousers, and shiny, leather boots. He stood by the door, momentarily oblivious of our car, until that moment, when he ever so slightly turned his head our way.


I stepped out of the car timidly, having noticed the moment he had emerged who he was. The dark side burns that were now turning gray with age stood prominent, his eyes void of emotion, that watch that he always wore gleamed, declaring its presence. Despite the current Kalahari climate, I found myself tremble at the knees, as I took more steps toward him, as though I was a lamb being led to slaughter. My eyes glazed over with an unfamiliar liquid seeping through them, the air at the brim of my throat stood still, beckoning to choke me as I got closer to him.


Standing before him I felt a weight on me, the dead air between us stiff enough to cut through, making the family in the car get out of it in worry after noticing my change in mood. "Veronica?" the man finally spoke, sending a cascade of dismay tumbling down my spine. I stared him straight in the eyes, mute.


"Nic, is everything okay? Do you know this man?"

Upon hearing Mel's troubled question, a tear tumbled down my cheek as if on cue. Closing my eyes, taking a second to digest it all, I weakly responded, "Dad?"


Mel's gasp was unmistakable yet somewhat a shocker that she was able to grasp what I had said, as I had spoken at the tone of a mouse. " Did you miss me?" the man cockily responded, revealing a smirk, as he held his arms apart in a hug gesture, at which I withdrew some steps back.

"How dare you come here, unannounced?!"

"You're hurting my feelings here sugar."

"Don't call me sugar! 15 years dad, 15 years! You didn't call me or check up on me, how did you even know I was still alive!

"It's part of the job pumpkin"

"You can barely call that a job. All you do is ruin young and innocent lives by selling those drugs on the streets!"

"I have to make a living don't I?! Is this the thank you I get for making sure you didn't end up like your mother?!"


The words sunk, resembling two-edged blades, travelling down my chest, slicing through as they went. Almost abruptly, a wave of anger swept over me, engulfing me fully from head to toe.


"Leave!!"

"But, pumpkin, I didn't mean....."

"Now dad! Before I call the police."


In a state of somewhat reluctant defeat, he turned, and took to his black car, and silently glided down the curb, the car disappearing down the street, leaving a sob to wrack over my poor frame, overpowering it.






May 29, 2020 13:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jubilee Forbess
13:57 Jun 03, 2020

At the beginning it was very bouncily written. Like the whole thing was set up on spring frames and it was just jogging along like Tigger. And then the tone changed, but you managed to land it masterfully.

Reply

Pauline Gavaza
15:08 Jun 04, 2020

Thank you so much, your feedback is much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.