1 comment

General

You got up and the wind was blowing hard. You had a big meeting in the city today and you had to catch the train. You rushed to the station and caught the first train into the city. The train ride was going to be long so you decided to practice for your interview. The lady sitting next to you offered to help you practice. After practicing for the third time you took a break and looked out the window. It was raining cats and dogs. Of course, the weather forecast had been completely wrong. It was supposed to be regular rain today. It was going to be a nightmare walking to the interview. You crossed your fingers that a Great Dane didn’t fall on you.

           You continued to practice with the lady until you reached the city. You got off the train and headed to the nearest coffee shop. You weaved around all of the dogs and cats that were roaming the streets. You watched as one lady picked up a puppy and took it home. That was kind of nice. You got to the coffee shop and got in line. You looked around and noticed a mix of happy and cranky people. It looked like several of them had been struck by the falling animals. You got your coffee and headed to the interview.

           When you got to the office you took a seat to wait for your turn. While you were waiting you read up on some of the facts about the business. It was finally your turn to go so you adjusted the collar on your shirt and went into the room. You shook the interviewer’s hand and sat down. She introduced herself as Mary Smith and she was the head of consulting. You were interviewing to be the Secretary of consulting so this would be a perfect person to be interviewed by. You were doing great answering the questions. You felt like you were really connecting with Mary. When the interview was over you shook Mary’s hand. You felt like you had nailed that interview.

           You really wanted this job because it gave you an apartment in the city. You would be able to move out of your parent’s house and be closer to everything the city had to offer. There was also a lot of room to grow in the company. You decided to go to a food truck to get some lunch. You ordered a meatball sub. You were about to sit down and eat when a Rottweiler snagged the sandwich from your hand. You returned to the food truck to get another one but they didn’t cover dogs stealing your sandwich. So, you had to buy a new sandwich. After lunch you got on the train and returned home.

           The next day you got a call from the company. You got the position as a consultant. You would be starting on Monday. You told your parent’s the great news at dinner and they helped you pack. You wanted to have a fresh start so you only packed the essentials. Of course, you had to bring your ninja sword in case of the apocalypse. You packed everything in the car and the next morning you headed to the company apartment. Once everything was unpacked you hugged your parent’s goodbye. Then you started putting everything away. You were excited to start the next chapter of your life.

           You got to the office and Mary showed you to your office. You had a nice corner office with a desk and a sofa. You also had a book shelf. One of the other consultants brought you some paper work to do and you got started. When it was time for lunch you made your way to the break room. Everyone was talking about the weather forecast.

           You said “Yeah it was supposed to be raining this morning. I was expecting water not cats and dogs”.

           Someone else said “Yeah, I was expecting to get a little wet, not getting ambushed by a bunch of animals”.

           Another person said “I heard it is supposed to get worse from here”.

After lunch you went back to your office. You watched as people ran from the dogs and cats below. Then things began to change. The streets started erupting in fire. People began fleeing in every direction. Some ran inside buildings while others jumped in taxis to get away. Traffic was clogging the streets and the fire was spreading.

           You knew you had to do something. Luckily you had your pistol strapped to your leg. You made your way to the bottom floor and brought as many people as you could. When you reached the bottom, you had to think of a plan. There was fire everywhere and you had to find the safest place to go. You decided to head to the beach. Everyone followed you as you got on a bus. You told the bus driver to take you to the nearest beach.

           You took a seat, ready to enjoy the ride. Then you seen another problem. There were zombies running behind the bus. You told everyone to stay towards the center of the bus. Then one of the zombies jumped and was able to grab the side of the bus. You decided to take action. You pulled out your pistol and shot the zombie until it fell. You continued to defend the bus until you got to the beach.

           Once you were at the beach you got everyone off the bus. Mary ran up to you and gave you a big hug. She also thanked you for getting her out of the building. You hadn’t even realized she was there. You decided to fill everyone in on the plan.

           “Okay everyone, there are zombies now. We will get on the beach and create a barricade. We will also collect anything we can find to help us. We can use food, weapons, water, and anything else that might be useful. Then we will fight until the zombies are gone”.

           Everyone agreed with the plan and you found a spot on the beach. You decided to go with the group that was gathering supplies. You decided to try the shops that were down the street from the beach. You went into a pawn shop first and got some guns. Then you went into Publix to get some food and water. You were going down the water aisle when a hoard of zombies approached. You used the cases of water to make a barricade. Then you started shooting the zombies while everyone else got the water. Once It was clear you returned to the beach with the supplies.

           When you got back it was starting to get dark. You split the group into two shifts so that everyone could take turns sleeping and eating. You decided to take the first shift. You hadn’t seen any zombies and then you heard a loud scream coming from the direction of the road. You grabbed a lamp and got closer to the screams. One of the men in the group were being attacked by a zombie. By the time you got within range to shoot, it was to late. The man was dead. You dragged his body back to camp and gave him a proper burial.

You reminded everyone that no matter what they were not to leave the camp. It was to dangerous for anyone to be leaving. You finished your shift with no more losses and went to bed. When you woke up, all chaos had broken loose. Everyone had formed a circle around the camp and were shooting as many zombies as they could. They had grown in numbers.

           You ordered everyone to retreat to the water. Hopefully, the zombies wouldn’t like the water. You got lucky, the zombies turned around and headed back to the city. Once the zombies were far enough away, you had everyone return to the beach. You continued to fend off any zombies that came.

           The next morning everything was back to normal. The fires had ceased and the zombies were gone. You went to your apartment to get ready for work. Then you returned to the office. Everything was back to normal again. Everyone was talking about the previous day. Hopefully the zombies would stay away for a long time. 

June 22, 2020 00:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Elle Clark
14:14 Jun 28, 2020

Well, there was definitely a lot going on in this! Perhaps for your next story choose one or two major moments to focus on and develop so that we can more of your great detail work. I loved how organised and useful your protagonist was. They didn’t let anything - from raining animals to zombie hoards - get one their way! That’s the kind of person I aspire to be. Good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.