Love me not

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

3 comments

Romance Drama

My hand flew on its own right to my boyfri- ex-boyfriend’s face. His head tilted to the side, indicating how hard that slap was.

“You bitch how dare you!” The woman clinging to his arm like a monkey lunged at me. I didn’t back down and slapped her face hard.

“Thank you for calling me a bitch. A bitch is a dog, a dog barks, bark is part of a tree, tree is part of nature, and nature is beautiful.” I smirked at her because my hand left a trace on her cheek. “Thank you for calling me beautiful, indirectly.” I looked at him again. “And you, go to hell.” I punched him and walked away.

After three years, that memory still lingers in my mind. It was never forgotten. I acted tough when in front of them but cried myself to sleep when I got home. I hated commitments since that day. I looked at my surroundings and observed people.

The club is livelier compared to three hours ago. Some guests are going wild on the dance floor. Some are literally throwing themselves to strangers and dance with them sensually. When I say sensually I mean, woman twerking in front of a man’s buddy, lapping at each others face and so on.

I’m not into clubs, but my dear friend forced me. She came barging in my house — where I was quietly having a nice cup of coffee — earlier today. She started putting clothes appropriate for clubs without my permission and dragged me like a doll she owns.

Now I’m trying my best to search for her in this wild crowd. She forced or should I say dragged me in here, but left me after a few minutes to be with some guy.

I suddenly felt uncomfortable like someone is looking at me, so I roamed my eyes around the whole place and caught a man who is leaning on a wall while staring at me. He looks familiar. I squinted my eyes to examine his built more, but its hard to do that when he’s in the dark part of the club.

As if on cue, he stepped out from the dark corner and openly looked at me. Oh. He ain’t the shy type. I raised a brow and ignored him to continue my search.

“Hello,” A voice from behind me said. I looked around and saw the man from earlier.

“You’re fast.” I smirked and crossed both hands in front of me.

“Why not? I spotted a beautiful lady across the room alone. I’m Kieth, how about you?” After a few minutes of dead air he spoke in slow motion, “O..kay.”

I unconsciously examined his face. He has a pair of emerald eyes that speaks depths, raven hair styled with a 3/7 undercut, a well shaven face, a jawline I would die for, hi-

“I know I’m handsome and all but-.” I looked the other way immediately. Why do I have to stare at him? “You need company? I’m free for the whole night.”

I ignored him and searched for my dear friend Danaya, but this guy is pestering me. I look like a cat with a tail behind me. He was poking me every minute. At first I managed to ignore him, but I can only handle this much.

I halted and looked at him. He is grinning from ear-to-ear. Why does he look so cute? “Would you stop pestering me? It’s irritating.” I crossed both hands in front of me and rolled my eyes at him.

“I’ve always dreamed of you.” I was shocked by his statement and couldn’t utter a single word.

“Uhm. Kieth you aren’t crazy, aren’t you? I haven’t met you before and how could I, a human being, enter a dream?” He scratched the back of his head and looked elsewhere.

“You take things literally, I see.” He carried me bridal style which made me shriek. “But, I’ll have to steal you from whoever brought you tonight.” I saw Danaya from afar looking at me with a smirk on her face. I mouthed Help me but the woman didn’t even budge.

“Will you put me down?” I wiggled my body to escape from his embrace, but the man has muscles on the right places and mind you my body is reacting which I am not happy about. I can feel them and I began imaging things I wish I didn’t. Commitments aren’t real.

“No can do, missi.” I bit his arm hard. “Hey! That hurt! I’ll get my payback later.” He changed my position. He is now walking towards the exit while I hang like a sack of rice on his shoulder and people are looking our way which I didn’t give a damn, by the way. We stopped in front of a black Porsche.

“Nice ride. You have here,” I managed to utter.

“It’s a gift,” He replied and put me in the shot gun seat. “Please cooperate, kitten.” My jaw dropped from the endearment. “If you run I’ll have to kidnap you again.” He went to the driver’s seat and started the engine as soon as possible.

After a couple of minutes, we stopped in front of a restaurant — Italian I think — then he looked at me. “You like Italian cuisine?” I shrugged my shoulders. “You don’t like talking much.” I rolled my eyes at him. “And you are sassy as fuck. You’re like a kitten, hard to tame.”

“This kitten will scratch that face of yours if you continue to gawk at her breasts.” I opened the door and walked towards the restaurant. What a perv! But somehow my body is reacting. Am I attracted to him?

The entrance is a few meters away, I stopped to take a peek inside. It is packed with people — couples, partners, and businessmen. I feel out of place.

“Let’s talk inside. It seems to me that it’s about to rain.” He is looking at the dark, cloudy sky. “It’s a good thing this restaurant closes late or else we might be inside my condo which I wouldn’t prefer.” He snaked his hand on my waist and I felt a rush of heat on my cheeks. 

“Will you please distance yourself from me? I don’t like touchy people.” I pushed him because I don’t like how my body is reacting. I walked inside the restaurant. It has modern interior. The place is a mixture of white and light shade of green. It has a floor-to-ceiling window which allows customers to have a great view outside the busy street. It looks fancy and casual at the same time.

I took a table next to the floor-to-ceiling window because I like observing my surroundings, it calms me. The table is white which is squeaky clean, it can serve as a mirror for women. A shade of green tub chairs perfectly matched the table.

My train of thoughts were stopped when a man with emerald eyes pulled a chair beside me, loudly. “Can you please lift the chair up when you’re going to pull it? It’s irritating.”

“I just wanted to make my presence known since the untamed kitten seems busy looking around.” I didn’t reply and I saw from my peripheral vision that he raised a hand to call a waiter. The typical waiting service. You sit down and the waiters do all the job.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

“What do you want from me?” I leaned on my chair and put a hand on the table which he immediately held. “I told you I don’t like touchy people, especially strangers.” I snatched my hand from his hold and crossed both arms in front of me.

“I told you earlier, I always dreamed of you.” He looked sincere but boys will be boys. They start sweet then after a while they start showing their true colors.

“I am not interested in commitments,” I straightforwardly said. He frowned.

“Mind if I ask?” I shook my head. He was about to shot another question when the waiter came with the food.

After whole two hours of eating and talking — he did all the talking while I nodded, shook, and shrugged — he finally decided to go home. He offered me a ride home and I accepted it.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” He said the moment I made the motion to open the car door.

“Please no. I am telling you know you won’t get anything from me, especially if your asking for a commitment.” I opened the door and looked at him again. “I don’t do commitments anymore, actually I don’t do relationships.I saw how my father cheated on my mother with multiple women then a man offered me loyalty, I accepted but he cheated on me, too. I don’t believe in commitments anymore so stop wasting your time.”

Without letting him respond, I walked towards my house without looking back. My heart beats fast and I’m not dumb to not know what I’m feeling, but I don’t want commitments. I hate commitments.

I shut the door behind me and started crying. “I fell in love at first sight but I wouldn’t risk my fragile heart once more.”

September 24, 2020 16:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Safiya Tahseen
10:40 Oct 02, 2020

Awe! Its a genuine set of feeling a person develops after a heartbreak. I love the way yo describe things, specially the bitch, bark, tree, nature line that's my favorite. please do read my stories and leave a feedback. Looking forward to learn from you.

Reply

11:13 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you for reading my story. I really appreciate it. I'll leave a comment once I find time. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:21 Sep 24, 2020

This story just popped into my mind and I started writing without thinking. I'm sorry if it doesn't feel romancy at all. Thank you for those who read it till the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.