The Reason We Got Married

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with an ending and work backward toward the beginning.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Western

Warning beforehand. The story contains swearing words and mature scenes.

THE REASON WE GOT MARRIED

The room was lit with scented candles having tint of lavender aroma all around the house. The door opens and a woman enters with an elite aura around her.

“Happy wedding anniversary!!” A man wearing a tuxedo suit wishes and few more people comes with cake and celebrations.

Everyone were wishing the main girl of the day. Wishing the main couple of the day. Link and Iris… The 26 years old couple also business partners…. Match made in heaven…  according to others.

The party ended, the guest left. It was Link and Iris… Only two of them… Even though they live together, been married for 4 years they never felt this tense atmosphere before... The silence was killing them… It wasn’t awkwardness or lust. It felt like a time bomb which could blast any minute.  

“I’ll clean up the-” Before Link could complete his sentence Iris spoke

“Who the fuck told you to plan this? I hate social gathering and parties. Are you unaware of it?” Iris was annoyed yet spoked in pretty calm voice.

“It was for our reputation and I thought if we could do something different this time” Link replies and Iris scoffs.

“I hate anniversaries. You better don’t plan anything, it’s just like any other normal day. Anyways, it’s so annoying to act good.” Iris said and was about to walk away but…

"Why did we even got married when you want to act like this?? After all the years together… Even when my family went to bankruptcy you stuck to me like a glue. I really thought… I really thought that you finally love me!!" Link yells letting out his frustration.

Iris walks towards him with the same unreadable expression on her face...

"You really don't know why we got married? Want me to remind you?" Iris scoffs and holds his collar pulling him closer. She leans towards his ear whispering "8 years ago... You… RAPED ME"

8 years ago.

Getting off from part time job Iris was heading towards her house. It was almost past midnight and the streets were empty. Iris was walking off by her normal route which is from the alley.

"BYEE GUYS I SHOULD GO HOMMEE!!"

Iris heard a loud voice and couple of people muttering. She could feel the trouble knocking at her door and her instincts was telling her to leave the alley as soon as possible. She increased her pace but could hear the sound of footsteps following her all way.

“Excuse me??” The voice made her stop and it sounded pretty genuine.

“You dropped this” The boy seemed to be same age as her said returning the handkerchief.

“It’s not mine. Sorry” Tris replies and was about to walk away but…. “I just want to return this. Why won’t you accept??” The boy said slamming her against wall.

Iris could feel the hotness coming from him as if someone gave him flibanserin (drug which increases lust drive) She struggles to get away from his grip but he was a way too strong.

"Please... let me go" Iris whimpers in pain as the boy pushes her down on the ground. "Shut up!! I just wanted to return this fucking handkerchief!!" The boy replies harshly pinning her.  

The boy started striping her pants. Iris knew there is no way to escape. He was drunk and stronger than her. "Shouldn't you ask permission for it?" Iris asked with a blank expression on her face and the boy looks at her confusingly still he was botherless.

"This is wrong... I don't want this..." Tear drops could be seen falling from her eyes.

"That's how the world is... you better live in it." The boy said and started thrusting in.

Iris didn't had strength to speak... She was lost in her thoughts... She was feeling numb and disguise by his every touch.

"There is no used even if I want to stop you... then… If you are doing it… You better do it properly" Iris said but the boy was drunken and alcohol took over him… making him botherless by any of the things happening around.

"Oh gosh... I freaking love you!!" The boy said kissing her all over the body.  

Next Morning.

Link wakes up with massive headache. Without thinking twice, he head towards the bathroom to fresh up. As each waterdrop drips from his skin made him remember each and everything happened yesterday. Regression, guilt and fear took over his every cell of body.

"Its fine... No one knows about it... Nothing happened..." That's what he kept repeating.

He head towards the hall room only to see his family having breakfast with an unexpected guest sitting on the dinning chair.

"Link? Honey? You didn't tell us you have such a pretty girlfriend? Mom is upset that you are starting to hide from her." Link's mother said with a mother’s love in her eyes while serving the breakfast.

"What are you doing here? Why are you wearing my school uniform??" Link was shook by her sudden appearance.

“Link is this way to talk??” Link’s father scold him as they come from an elite family.

"It’s okay father-in-law. (Smiles and looks at Link) I transferred to your school today. Do you like my surprise? Link?" Iris replies having a soft yet creepy smile on her face.

"How did you two met if you aren’t in same school?" Link's older brother asks feeling suspicious. "Oh! yesterday we had-" Before Iris could speak further Link drags her out of the house.

...

"I know you are pissed I am extremely sorry for yesterday. I got drunk for the first time and it was a mistake. I'll give you all the money you want. Please just-" Iris cuts off his sentence by saying

"Money? I don’t want money. I'm just doing what you told me to do. Living in this world with someone who love me. Yesterday you told me that you freaking love me. We should be with someone who freaking love us. I’ll be with you forever. I obeyed you… I am a good girl, aren’t I?” Iris questioned with a smile plastered on her face.

TODAY.

"You could have sued me!! I.... I did wrong to you... I admit it... You could have report me to police. You had every right to do!" Link said with tears dripping on his cheek uncontrollably.

"How am I suppose to do? You were rich... Your dad worked in lawsuit... You mom was businesswoman... What do you expect? Walk into lion’s den? Do you see me as a fool?" Tris replies with pretty calm voice.

Link knew what he did was unforgivable and for that her has to pay... He accepted it...

“It’s been 8 years since then… I didn’t like you at first but eventually I fell for you. That’s why I never oppose you… I know I did wrong… I won’t ask for forgiveness because I don’t regret any of it.” Link said holding her hands while tears just kept on falling.

“All I wanted was to study... get into university... Marry someone who freaking loves me... When I told my parents about what happened that day. They kicked me out of the house because it brought shame to my parents. You aren’t aware of that right? After all this years have you ever asked about my parents or where I lived? How I survived? The thing which every woman cherish is her virginity.... You took it from me... But you said you freaking love me.... So, I am yours.... Forever."  Iris said with tears in her eyes for the first time in those 8 years. It felt like she poured out her heart.  

“I am sorry for everything… I know what I did was wrong but it’s all past… Please just stop treating me like a crap all the time. Can’t we just move on? Start a new life..?” Link said with apologetic eyes.

Iris scoffs saying “Move on? I’ll be with you just like this…  Forever. Even after I die” With that Iris leaves the room.

It’s been 8 years… they never had any kind of conversation on this topic. It left them buried alive.

Past Midnight.

They both freshen up and were laying on the bed. They both were awake yet pretending to sleep. Having two different yet similar things in their mind.

Iris

If he wanted he could have killed me or when we were living together he could have kill me. Even now he can kill me. Destroy me any second he want. Did he really fell for me…? He raped you Iris… At the point when your life was getting better he ruined you. Your dreams… were crushed but… I can see sincerity in his eyes… Iris… You shouldn’t trust anyone. At least not the man who-

Link.

She always insults me in the business meetings. That sharp tongue of hers never leave me... I know I don’t have potential like her yet I am her husband. Still… She have every right to treat me like a crap. To be honest I regret everything I did… but at some point I don’t regret because if I haven’t met her in that alley. We never got married. Fuck it!! I gotta work tomorrow I should just sleep!!

Link moves sideways at the corner of bed. Suddenly he felt someone pulling him into a back hug. Tris clears her throat wanting to speak “The reason we got married may full of vengeance but I can’t let you go… You know that…” Tris seemed to be lost in words. A never seen side of hers could be seen.

Link didn’t had words to describe how he was feeling for the moment, the misunderstanding was cleared... Link turns around engulfing Iris’s cologne, hugging her with every energy he have.

Sometimes action speaks more than words and sometimes we gotta speak honestly so that we could understand each other. A proper conversation… A proper understanding could be a source of telepathy.

It took 8 years for us to know the reason we are together… and 4 years to know The Reason We Got Married.  

-1692 words

April 10, 2021 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.