0 comments

General

I stood awkwardly near my locker. Where was he? I chewed on my lip, bouncing lightly from foot to foot as I anticipated him. To be fair, I’m not really eager to see him. He’s been off school for so long that I may as well just forget him. I mean, what’s the point? 


Why was he taking so long? I checked my watch. 20 past 3. The bus was coming in 10 minutes and I should be going. I brushed a hand through my hair, wincing at the amount of tangles. I also needed to comb my hair.


I sighed and rubbed my forehead with the back of my hand. How long does it take somebody to come from a chemistry lab to the school entrance? I checked my watch again. 9 minutes. Observing the queue for the bus getting longer, I huffed in impatience.


Finally, he bounced up to me, beaming from ear to ear. I raised an eyebrow, trying to hide my annoyance with disapproval.


“Heyyy,” he drawled, holding out some daffodils.


I don’t know how my eyebrow managed to go any higher, but it somehow did as I eyed the daffodils. There were four, bright yellow and beautiful. I had to admit, I liked daffodils. I looked at him and took the daffodils.


“Thanks.. I guess?” I awkwardly smiled. “Is this why you made me wait here for 10 minutes?”


“No!” he grinned even more widely. “That was only a starter. I have a better present for you.”


Despite myself, and the time, I couldn’t help smiling. 


“Really?” I beamed. I loved presents. I just loved being given time, and care, and patience once in a while. It was refreshing and just the thing I needed last thing on a Friday.


But I also needed to get home. That is also something I usually like to do last thing on a Friday too.


He smiled at me, pleased with my delight. “Yes! I haven’t seen you in ages, and I just feel like I need to do something to keep you interested. Just so you don’t, you know, get bored of me.”


I checked my watch and pretended to be excited.


“Hurry up! I can’t wait to see it.” I plastered a fake smile on my lips, which were starting to hurt from smiling so much. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the line for the bus getting longer and longer. I doubted that there was any point in trying to catch it now.


He gave me a small smile, and turned around to get something out of his backpack. After fumbling with it for a few seconds, he turned around to see me, hiding it behind his back.


“Close your eyes,” he grinned.


I stifled a groan.


After a few seconds, he tapped me on the arm. I opened my eyes. In his hand was a blue plastic bag, with something inside. I gingerly took the bag, acutely aware of the fact that the bus was coming in 7 minutes and the next one was coming in 25 minutes.


“Thanks,” I smiled, and put my backpack on the floor so I could put the bag inside.


“No, open it now!” he exclaimed.


This time I actually got annoyed. “The bus is coming in 7 minutes. I need to be going. I’ll open it when I get home, I promise.” I flashed the most excited smile I could manage.


Then his face fell and he started pouting. “No, please open it now! I want to see your reaction,” he pleaded. “And anyway, you have 5 minutes and the bus stop is literally right there. Why are you worrying so much?”


“There are literally fifty people standing there. If more people come I probably won’t catch the bus.”


“Then just take the next one. It’s no big deal.”


I sighed. “But it is. The next one’s coming in twenty-five minutes and by then there’ll be loads of traffic. My mum will get annoyed if I get home too late.” Dumping the bag in my backpack, I slung it onto my shoulder and started to walk to the bus stop.


His hand on my arm stopped me. “Are you making excuses?”


“No,” I replied, shaking slightly.


He bent close to my ear. “I know you don’t want to see me. I know impatience on your face when I see it. I’m not stupid. But I’d appreciate 10 minutes of your attention, because I haven’t seen you in so long. So yeah. Take out the bag. And either give it back to me, or open it now.”


Fair, I thought. So I turned around and took the bag from my backpack. When I turned around, he was back to his usual smiling self. I smiled back, glad he was back to his normal self.


I fumbled with the plastic bag, and took out the contents. And what I saw surprised me.


In a very bad way.


I pulled out a green jumper, with blue ribbon things hanging from the sides. It had some flowers on it and it looked comfortable.


And I hated it.


I really don't like green.


Didn't he know that I hated green? Green was my least favourite colour and after all the time he had spent talking to me, he should've known. And a jumper? In summer? Really? I think he could've done better. And the blue ribbons did not help. They looked like someone could whip out a pair of scissors and just chop them off.


That someone could very well be me.


I really wish I could give it back to him. Tell him that I don't like it and that I wanted a another one, something that wasn't green with blue ribbons. But it would hurt his feelings so much. He always tells me to be honest with him, so we can get the most out of our relationship, but I can't do that this time. It would be too cruel of me.


And anyway, I'm too nice to refuse a present. And the thought of somebody getting a present for me is something to be grateful for.


This situation was making me very nervous.


What do I tell him?


I settled for grinning hopefully, looking at him and seeing what he expected of me. He smiled widely back. As if he expected me to love it.


He smiles a lot.


"So... do you like it?" he finally asked, after a minute-long silence. "You haven't said anything.


I put on an expression which I hoped was utter delight, and exclaimed,


"Wow! I love it!" I threw my arms around him, and to my relief, he hugged me back.


"I'm glad you like it," he smiled.


I hurriedly stuffed the bag into my backpack. "Better get a move on before the bus leaves." I started running. Then I skidded to a halt.


In front of me, the bus left the bus stop.

March 14, 2020 22:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.