16 comments

Suspense Fiction Urban Fantasy

Sibyl drew the portrait above my deathbed. Called it "Centipede Sis'."


Grisly thing.


I sat for a number of artists before, but none captured the burgundy black of my curls like Sibyl - though, any resemblance frayed with the split ends of the subject. 


She wanted my chin pointed towards the ceiling. I held it aloft for four hours. Poised. Obedient. I still feel the crick in my neck whenever the AC works too well. There were phones back then. She could have taken a picture. She refused. Said it was different. Said she needed to get "it" right. 


Imagine my shock when I was permitted a peek. My brows creaked. Stiff as joints.


"What -" I coughed. 


The paradox of choice plagued me. I did not know where to look. Where to start.The watercolor was . . . not bad, but certainly not right. Who was this? What was it?


"What's that around her?" I said, eventually. 


Sibyl sighed. "Not her. You." She picked up a gold tipped brush, its red handle chipped down to pale wood. "It's a centipede.” Her hand hovered above the canvas, sable eyes roaming its woven roads of thread like a drag racer. Our garage, ever shadowed, hungered for daylight. Lord knows why she preferred to work at night, starved of illumination. “You're merging,” she said, her pebble smooth voice like gravel. 


I stared, horrified. "Why would you draw her - me? Why would you draw me like that?"


She flicked the brush between her thumb and forefinger. Countless resplendent dots of yellow splattered the underbelly of the massive invertebrate. Delicate and messy work. The same technique applied in red dotted the creature and my doppelganger, pinpricks where their bodies met. The centipede gathered its body along her arm. Wrapped beneath her breast. Draped about her neck, a noose of forcipules. Red pulled from the side of her mouth. My mouth. It fell, a soft drizzle unto white cotton. 


Satisfied, Sibyl fisted her hand in her apron. She took a step back. "Cancer," she said. 


"What?"


"The centipede represents cancer."


My shoulders itched. "I don't have cancer." 


"You didn't," she said simply.


I was terrified. A wisp. My voice was small too, barely a whisper. “But - but I was joking.” “I didn’t mean, -”


Sibyl reached for another brush, hesitated, then grabbed a pinky thick stick by its yarn-needle end, and plunged it in a jar of gunmetal gray. 


“You can’t do this,” I said. “Please.”


“If you didn’t want the germ to grow, you should not have planted it.” Sibyl’s voice was soft. “You needn't have sowed what you wished never to reap.”


“But, -” It seemed my words had taken cover in darkness. Inky thoughts disordered on black canvas. It is a thing to know what someone may say. Another to hear them say it. Sibyl had all but recited my eulogy while my obituary was still being written. “Can it not be reversed?”


“You told me you wished it was so. Wish granted.”


“No,” I said. “I thought we were talking about someone else. I thought . . .”


Sibyl turned to me, her mouth a hard line. “You thought you could just do what you always have, speak ill of someone. To anyone.”


“I didn’t know.”


Her expression softened. “You were warned.”


My head shook, side to side. Side to side. Side to - “When?”


Sibyl’s smile was sad. “Enough.”


I never knew how to ask for what I wanted, so I asked for what I could have. “Can you explain?”


Sibyl poked her brush at the dress. Depth emerged from the white space with each stormy swipe. “I can try,” she said, her hand a blur of swift motion. 


A ruffle of movement at the hem of my shirt tickled my stomach. I jumped back. I thought I saw a bug, maybe a moth, but there was nothing there. The skin on my abdomen tingled without any discernible cause and yet, my eyes wandered down and then to the painting. To Sibyl’s hand along the belly of the subject who was not, apart from her hair, anything like me. I did not sneer.


Sibyl’s head fell to one side and she leaned into the ginger probes of her brush. “Why did you agree to sit?” 


“That is not an explanation.”


“No, it is not. Why did you agree to sit?”


“Because your kind fascinates me. And I don’t mind being looked at. And I wanted to be,-”


“Centerstage,” Sibyl interrupted. “Most gossipers do love attention.” She looked over her shoulder, eyes on mine and immovable. Her bottom lip caught between her teeth. “Come now, you wanted to be part of the attraction. ‘Freaks,’ all of us. ‘Drawing lives and morbid conclusions,’ am I right?”


My words in her voice sounded hollow. They were funny when I said them. “I only meant that you draw fate. You’re seers. It’s what you're known for!” 


Sibyl cringed.


“You needn’t be loud. You want an explanation, so I will give you one.” She dropped the brush among its horse haired brethren. “You told me seers were freaks. That we kill. Bring disease. Bad luck.” She bore her bottom teeth, clamped them shut, ground her molars audibly, and turned on a heel to look at the trees behind the driveway. “You said you’d rather a cancer crawl into your bones and fester there, than be known for leaving rot around.”


“I didn’t know you were one of them!”


“You did when you agreed to sit.”


“I was trying to be nice.”


“You are not a nice person." The words cut with the finesse of a painter's knife, at once wielded and leveled in her hand. “And your opinion of others is no better than the rot you’d accuse of me and 'my kind.'”


Sibyl cut at the red drip still mid cascade from my muzzle. She ran a finger through it and like lightning in a midnight sky, struck out to mark my chin in the same way. The air crackled in my ears, electricity through peach fuzz covered temples. I was vision and art. Alive and stillness incarnate.


“I’ve done you a kindness,” she said. “No one can ever say that you were always, entirely, speaking out the side of your neck.” 


Funny thing, that. 


No one says anything, anymore. Not about me.


Grisly thing.


June 02, 2023 04:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Zack Powell
20:31 Jun 03, 2023

Like a grimdark version of "The Metamorphosis." I'm here for it. Really like how you approached the prompt here. No preamble, no sprawling backstory about who this woman is and all the nasty things she's said about people. Instead, we start right when and where the action is. Great choice, both for the pacing of the piece and for the Suspense factor. Subtle clues that something's a little off until we get the reveal (which turned my stomach). I appreciate the backstory being weaved in through the dialogue too. Felt much less intrusive than ...

Reply

S N
13:47 Jun 04, 2023

!!! Zack, you are a talented writer. Thank you for commenting, let alone reading. I will have to Google "The Metamorphosis" ASAP.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
14:48 Jun 03, 2023

Hi there S N, I really enjoyed this. My wife is a portrait artist and I will tell you that you have done your research. I'll point out a huge thing for my wife. She always wants to paint subjects "live," never from pictures. So the authenticity of that is in your story. Great read. Thanks.

Reply

S N
01:45 Jun 05, 2023

Joe! Thank you! The idea came from a portrait my sister did, subject merging with a centipede - it's amazing how portrait can capture reality and the immaterial energy they choose to capture in ever unique ways. Thank you for reading and for sharing!

Reply

Joe Smallwood
15:14 Jun 05, 2023

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
15:40 Jun 02, 2023

Great story! Creepy. I wondered about Sybil's name at the beginning, wondering about the symbolism. Very nice development.

Reply

S N
20:34 Jun 02, 2023

Thank you, David. I appreciate you taking the time to read it. I am happy a came out a little creepy. First attempt. Hopefully the next will be better.

Reply

David Sweet
23:03 Jun 02, 2023

Perhaps 'creepy' isn't quite the best descriptor. It was thought provoking and expressive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:22 Jun 09, 2023

Absolutely killer beginning on this one! I barely glanced at the opening sentence and it pulled me right in and held me to the last line. Initially it was reminiscent of Metamorphosis, but it deviated soon enough. Huge theme of what-goes-around-comes-around, and the imagery is lovely, particularly for the painting. There's natural parallels between her spreading rumours of seers leaving behind rot, and cancer. Is this revenge? Did Sybil cause this fate, or did she merely see it? But in that case, the revenge is revealing it. Either way, ...

Reply

S N
18:06 Jun 09, 2023

Michal! Thank you for such kind words. I've been trying different styles, reading outside of my comfort zone too, all in the name of improvement.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:48 Jun 09, 2023

Experimenting pays off :) Especially on a weekly story - worst case, you throw away a week. But most stories aren't worst case, and sometimes you'll come up with something awesome like this one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jon Blackstock
22:17 Jun 07, 2023

Your story rocks, but what I admire the most is your prose. You have several sentences like this that really use the language as an art: Freaks,’ all of us. ‘Drawing lives and morbid conclusions,’ am I right?” Congratulations on a great story. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellen Neuborne
02:16 Jun 06, 2023

Horrifying -- very well done. From the opening line I knew I would read every word.

Reply

S N
03:45 Jun 06, 2023

Oh my, this warmed my spirts comfortably! Thank you for such a beautiful compliment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leah Haberman
11:40 Jun 04, 2023

I like the wait you use descriptive language. "pebble smooth voice like gravel" and all the ways you describe colors and textures. It's vivid without going into that overdone territory where the story is more description than anything else. Great job!

Reply

S N
13:43 Jun 04, 2023

That is such a kind compliment. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.