0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

I am Paul Harvey, a retired Brigadier of the Indian Army. I am becoming 75 and the date coincides with my 50th wedding anniversary. How do I look? I am very tall, fair, bald and with a big moustache which has also greyed. Besides I’ve become a bit paunchy. I had told my wife Nancy that our 50th wedding- cum-75th birthday should be observed very quietly at home. Nancy was also one who disliked publicity and she agreed. She had decided the menu with me and the dinner for two was delivered at my place. The cake had been delivered earlier. I had dressed myself in brown corduroy pants with a cream coloured T-shirt on top. Nancy was dressed in a knee length floral dress and had combed back her silvery white hair and tied it with a ribbon. We got ready to dine. I lighted the candles and she cut the cake which we partook wishing ourselves all the best. I was a teetotaller and so was Nancy and so we had no alcohol.

She said “I wish we had Bob and Ann here with us to celebrate the occasion.”

Bob was our only son and his wife Ann was a medico running her own hospital. I said “Nan, you know Bob is somewhere in Ladakh fighting the Chinese. He was with us along with his wife Ann just 3 months ago.”

“I wish at least Ann could’ve come to celebrate this day.”

“Nan, we know Ann has specialised in treatment of maternity cases. Remember she told us how difficult it was to find reliable nurses, and has often to work very long hours. Let us understand her position. You got reconciled to life with me in the army. You know how I missed so many memorial occasions. I would also have liked to have not only Bob and Ann but also the grandchildren. Let us remember our good days of yore as we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and also of course my 75th birth day. You were at school with me though in a junior class as you were 3 years younger.”

“Yes. We would go to school in my dad’s car. We were almost next door neighbours until of course your dad was transferred to another station.”

I said “My dad was then a colonel in the army and had to work where posted but we came back and I resumed school again. You had grown into a beautiful girl then and thinking of you my heart would beat faster. You remember that we lost close contact when I moved to college and graduated. You had then got into English literature. I was very sad when I had to leave your neighbourhood to enter the military academy. I had promised that I would marry you after I was posted. We had secretly kissed in confirmation of my promise.”

Nancy said “I knew you were very sincere in your words and feelings. The moment you were posted you proposed to me and I accepted. That was 50 years ago. I distinctly remember our honeymoon when you swept me off my feet in the hill resort but then you were brash and damaged my dad’s car in the accident. You were also injured. Luckily I was unharmed.”

“Let me tell you again that the accident had happened when the fellow who was drunk hit our car. I still remember how well I drove the army tank delicately over the tottering bridge under which the river was flowing in spate.”

Nancy laughed and said “You’re repeating what you had said almost 50 years ago. Driving a tank may be easy, but tackling civilians who drive recklessly is difficult.”

I confess I was a rash driver but attempt to argue in the same way, though irrelevant, when the topic comes up!

She said “Then we had our first and only serious misunderstanding. Bob was on his way out of me assisted by Dr.Karen in the military hospital. Then........”

“I know you misunderstood my moving with Karen. Since you had said she he had been nice to you and helped Bob out without much problem.......”

Nancy said “I still maintain that Karen was after you. You were then handsome and nice to people and she fell for you.”

“See Nan, I only moved with her a few times while you were in hospital. You still accuse me.”

“Why did she keep sending you messages on occasion? You were in her thoughts. You men don’t understand! Remember Karen was a good looking unmarried woman.”

I changed the topic and said “Nan, I’ve often told you the reason for my joining the army. I again say it was to gain recognition. To be awarded medals for bravery in conflict. It’s a family tradition. As I’ve told you we’ve been in the army for 4 generations. My great grandfather got his honourable mention in British service. During my career there were no big hostilities where I could show my bravery. You’ve studied English literature. Perhaps you missed the poetry of Richard Lovelace. He says to his sweetheart ‘I could not love thee, dear, so much/Loved I not honour more.’ Those would be my lines to you.”

Nancy said “I thank God for it. You know how worried I used to be when you were in action somewhere. Fortunately I still have you as my loving husband.” She paused and said “You used to say your ambition was to be chief of the army. Anyway you’ve done well wherever you were posted. Bob wanted a career in the army. I opposed it, but you were bent on sending him to take up that career. That is where he is and....”

“I’ve learnt that Bob has done well and will be honoured. I’m happy.” There was silence and I said “Let’s have dinner. I’m hungry.”

“Sure.” As we sipped the hot soup out of a thermos flask Nancy said “I remember the dinner when Brigadier Pai lost his temper and assaulted.......”

I said “Pai became a drunkard due to personal problems. His son had died and his wife had left him. He finally turned the gun on himself and ended his life.”

Nancy said “I’m glad you’re a teetotaller. Do you know the number of times when you were on duty in some forward position my blood pressure would shoot up and I would pray that you should come back safe to me? I’m glad it’s all over. Even today I give my thanks to the Almighty who has spared you from a premature end.”

I said “Despite my age I still long to be with the army.” I sighed.

Nancy said “Let us have dessert. They have brought us a big helping of sliced fruits with ice cream on top. Let us enjoy it.”

I asked “What shall we seek of the Almighty this day”

“A long life to you.”

“Wrong! We must wish for a long life for us. I can’t live without you.”

Nancy looked very happy.

 I said “Come to the bedroom with me.”

She looked puzzled as I said “Come on.”

We went there and pointing at the wall I asked “Remember this photograph? I had it enlarged and mounted in a frame. It’s on this wall so that we will keep looking at it saying ‘Almighty, wish us a long and happy life like this always’”.

Nancy said “I didn’t know our wedding photo was put up on the wall”.

I said “I did it a little while ago. I wanted to surprise you. This is the gift I’ve given to me and you on this day.”

I held her in my arms and kissed her, and kissing me back she wouldn’t let go of me!

END

February 14, 2021 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.