Chasing Moonlight

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends in the past.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The pebbles pattered lightly against the glass. Rose couldn’t help but smiles as she heard them. She made her face blank before going to the window, she didn’t want him to know how happy his visits made her. Jackson stood beneath the tree by her bedroom window. She opened the shutters and looked down at him.

“You’re here again?” She asked, feigning boredom.

He smiled up at her and nodded. His honest, eager face made her heart flutter. She was glad the dark helped to hide her blush. She cleared her throat.

“Well, what do you want this time?” She huffed, pretending to be annoyed.

“Just to see you, Miss Rose,” he said, sweetly. “Same as every night.”

“You do realize my father would kill you if he heard you say that,” she said, sighing.

“It would be worth it. After all, what good is the night without the moon?”

She turned her back to him and rolled her eyes, but she couldn’t help smiling as she turned away. She wasn’t looking at him, but she could feel him watching her. 

Jackson wasn’t like the other men who chased after her. Every man that came to their door had the same generic gifts, the same fake smile. She was sure half of them were only interested in her father’s business and her family’s money. The other half were so bland she wished they were conniving, at least then they’d have a personality. 

But Jackson? Was she really his moon? She probably was. His sincerity rang through every word, his smiles full of nothing but kindness, his eyes full of adoration every time he looked at her. Especially on nights like this.

However, her words to him weren’t only a way to dismiss his affections, they were a warning. She wasn’t kidding about what her father would do to him. His precious angel with one of the workers? He’d string Jackson up in the streets for it. That was the last thing she wanted. 

She didn’t remember when they first met, but he did apparently. A few months ago he started to show up at her window. Soon it was almost every night. She actually found herself disappointed on nights he didn’t come now. Sometimes he would speak, but mostly he just watched her. By barely saying anything he’d managed to capture her heart better than any of the men who pledged their undying devotion to her.

She heard a soft rustling behind her. He was probably leaving, he usually gave up after an hour or so of her ignoring him. Her cold behavior wasn’t to hurt him, and it wasn’t to make him try harder, it was to save him. She could have ended his visits long ago if she wanted to. She only had to tell her father. 

At first, she didn’t tell out of kindness. She didn’t want Jackson to get in trouble. Rose knew how cruel her father could be. She thought it was just an infatuation, that all he wanted was a taste of forbidden fruit, but his complete devotion melted away those thoughts day by day until there was nothing left but his true feelings. She didn’t know how to handle them.

She heard a rustle of leaves and felt something tug against her hair. Did she get it caught on a twig? They really did need to trim this tree. She turned to free her hair, only to have a pair of deep brown eyes meet her own. His hand reached out and muffled the scream of surprise she let out. He put a finger to his lips, a signal to be quiet.

“What are you doing in my room?!” She shouted in a whisper.

Jackson smiled at her gently, not saying a word. It made her heart flutter. Rose turned away and crossed her arms.

“You have about ten seconds to leave before I scream for the maid,” she whispered sternly.

She waited, but she didn’t hear the rustle of the tree again. Instead, she heard a soft thud against her wooden floors, her heartbeat seemed to grow louder with the nearing footsteps. Strong arms wrapped around her waist.

“Then call her,” he said gently.

He wasn’t teasing her, and it wasn’t a threat. It sounded more like an ultimatum. She could call for her maid and he would run off, but if she did so, she was sure it would be the end of his visits to her window. A full acceptance of her rejection. And if she didn’t call the maid? Rose didn’t know what might happen, but she knew that he would stay.

She kept silent. He held her closer to him, and they stayed that way for a while. The room was quiet, but her heartbeat was deafening. He held her so tight that she was sure he could feel it.

“I’m leaving, Miss Rose,” he muttered.

“Good, don’t try to enter my room again or-”

“Not your room, the farm. I’m leaving it for good.” 

All at once, her heart stopped. At least, that’s what it felt like. What did he mean he was leaving? Where was he going? How would he go even? She tried to ask these questions, but her voice stuck in her throat. A small, miserable whimper was all she could force. The sound was so pathetic it brought tears to her eyes. He held her closer.

“I want you to come with me. I’m in love with you Miss Rose, and I know you feel the same,” he whispered, brushing back her hair. “Come with me. Stay with me. I don’t have much to offer you. I don’t have a house, I don’t have money, but I have a good heart to love you with. If you come with me, I promise it’s your forever.”

Words that echoed through her body and touched her soul. Words that rang with sincerity and devotion. The same way he always spoke to her. It was everything she wanted and so much more. But to run off like this? They’d try to find her, and if they caught her with Jackson-

Rose shook off the thought. She couldn’t bear it. He was right, she did love him. That was why she’d been protecting him. 

“We can’t,” she finally choked out. “If they find us-”

“They won’t,” he said firmly. “We’re going north. We can hide there. Leave a note, tell them you ran off to the south with someone. I’m sure they’d rather chase after you than one boy who escaped.”

Rose bit her lip. It was scary, dangerous, tempting. The chance to be with Jackson. Leave a fake note. Would it work? Could it work even? She didn’t know, but she didn’t care. Night after night she stayed awake to wait for him at her window, she was tired of waiting. She pulled away from his arms and went to her writing desk.

14 September, 1821

Mother and Father,

I’m sorry to do this, but I must follow my heart. I’ve met a man, a poor boy I know you would never approve of. He has touched my heart in a way that I can’t bear to be without him. We are leaving to start a life together. He has heard of opportunities further south and we will go there to begin our new life. Please, leave us in peace. I hope you can understand.

Your dear daughter,

Rose

She set her pen down gently. A small doubt filled her mind. The north. Even if Jackson was free there, a white girl and a colored boy together? What would happen to them?

“Miss Rose,” he called to her softly.

She turned, he was patiently waiting for her. Like always. She ran into his arms. As the moonlight flooded from the window and covered them she almost seemed to glow against his dark skin. The night and the moon, they belonged together.


May 19, 2020 16:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.