0 comments

Science Fiction


Monday

Hey, my name's TJ, if you’re reading this then that means I did something right, it also means I probably lost my daily journal. With that being said I'm the last person on earth to my knowledge. Of course there is no way for me to be 100% sure of this being there's no way to communicate with anyone outside of a 50 mile radius being the internet, cell towers telephone lines are down. See I live in Orange County. Orange County, as of last month, had a population of 3.1 million people, today it’s just me, population: 1. On the bright side of things I don’t have to pay for anything, but at the same time I know things will eventually run out. I sometimes think to myself “there's no way I can be the last person alive on the entire earth.” but I can’t prove otherwise. Since the virus took over human life started to deteriorate, turning people into these… things, I don’t know what to call them but they only come out at night, they don’t like the sun. I’m working on trying to figure out how to cure them, turn them back to humans, I'm currently working on an antidote test now as I’m writing this. See, before I dropped out of Med school, I learned quite a bit about the medical field, I just decided to go a different direction. I think i'm onto something, see the virus is only transmitted by contact of blood and it doesn't kill human cells, it just takes the place of them, it needs a host. I just have to find something that kills the virus and that’s easier said than done.


Tuesday

I’ve gotten all the vitals to align today and the cure is healthy. I’m just hoping this one works, unlike the last one. I have to create a trap so I can get one of those things hostage and inject it with the cure. Today was also probably the single most important day of my life. I found out that I’m not the only person alive on earth. I met another man today named Conor. I was out during the day doing my daily “shopping” and when I went into a store I heard some rustling. Sp as usual, I took precaution, drew my gun and scoped it out. When I saw another human being I was very surprised, I almost thought I was dreaming. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Even though it had only been a week since every human I ever knew was gone, It had felt so long since I’d seen another human. Things like these start to make you crazy, your emotions go off the chart and you don’t really know what’s real anymore. Regardless, me and Conor are working together and trying to get the cure in one of these things and bring humanity back, one human at a time.


Wednesday

Conor told me today that he thinks there's some sort of safe haven village somewhere full of humans. I think the whole “everybody getting infected” thing is starting to have an affect on him. Don't get me wrong, I’m not totally ruling the whole thing out, after all I thought I was the only person alive and turns out there's another person, but any towns that I knew of holding out have been broken into and infected. There isn't any left, to my knowledge. He wanted to go out and venture to find it. I was against the idea but I agreed, only after testing the cure I’d been working on. Tonight we got out and set up our trap, then we waited. I'll update you tomorrow morning on how it goes, for now I have work to do.



Thursday

Good news, our trap worked. We took one of them hostage last night and were doing some tests on them today. I replicated the antidote 6 times over, just in case, having extra is always good. We tested the antidote on them and it worked, the bad news is that the person that we cured couldn’t handle it and freaked out, thought they were dreaming or something and tried to kill me and Conor, so it was only a partial success but is a huge breakthrough. We made a number of extra antidotes and plan on venturing out tomorrow to find Connor's believed “safe haven”.


Friday

If you're reading this, TJ is gone. My name is Conor McCarthy, I was with TJ when he died, I tried to save him but I barely got away myself. Those “things” come out only at night, and we just happened to set up camp near a whole squad of them. I now am not sure if anyone is alive. TJ was the only regular person I had seen in a month, and now he is dead. I will continue his daily log’s in his journal, for me, and just in case there are other people still out there and I do find this safe haven. I believe there are people still out there, I had a vision one night that told me so. However, the information was vague on location, but I have an idea as to where it might be, I just have to keep going. With me I carry a cure in which doctor TJ constructed in his lab, i have to protect it at all costs and get it to someone who can replicate and begin to bring back humanity. If I do find the others, we will work together in bringing back humanity one step at a time. My only worry is the humans going into shock, like the first guy did, we may have to figure out a type of depressant drug to calm the person down during the cure process, or at least unable to move very much. It won’t be easy, hopefully it won't be very long, but I will carry on doctor TJ’s legacy, I will finish what he started, and through me he will still live.


April 29, 2020 14:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.