0 comments

General

Rose flipped onto her back and opened her eyes; staring at the dark blue ceiling, she sighed, ‘Apparently I am not meant to sleep tonight.’. Rolling onto her side, she turned her lamp on, flooding her bedroom in a warm yellow glow; swinging her legs over the side of her bed, Rose picked up the soft blue leather diary from the bedside table and walked to the window seat.

           After she had settled onto the overstuffed cushions, with a soft blanket covering her legs; she opened the diary, found the next empty page and began to write:

           

           ‘                                                                                 April 7, 1951


I don’t know what to do; there are so many expectations that I feel like I am being torn in half. It seems that no matter what I do no one will be happy! Being an heiress is more stressful than people think.

Steve proposed to me again today. The whole family watched from the window when we went for a walk in the garden. I couldn’t help it…I ran away!

You see dear diary; Steve and I have been dating on and off for nine months. He works with father at the bank as a junior partner; even though he is a nice enough guy I’m just not sure I want to marry him. When I am with him, I don’t feel that spark, everything will be planned ahead of time with no room for spontaneous adventures. That’s not all! in the last couple of weeks he has started to become pushier and jealous of other guys. When Steve first proposed, I was shocked considering I told him that I need some space to think about us and where our future could possibly go.

When I think about our future, all I can see are: two kids, a white picket fence, dinner parties; date night once a month and into bed by nine o’clock. In short, I see a very boring future where I will be expected to be the perfect wife. Steve won’t let me think about his proposal which is so unbelievably frustrating! Today’s proposal is the second within a couple of weeks.

After Steve left today, mom came into room; I don’t think I’ve ever seen her look so upset. She doesn’t understand why I can’t just accept the proposal and marry him. She told me that Steve has already found the perfect house near an elementary school “Why on earth haven’t you said yes yet?” is her most frequent question. “He can provide you with everything!”

Well, he can’t provide everything. His true colors have been shining through; you know as I am writing this, I think I have finally made my decision…

That’s all for now’


A few weeks later…

           

           Rose sat on her window seat, her diary resting on her lap as she gazed out the window. A smile touched her lips; she opened her diary and began to write as happiness and excitement tore through her; ‘I shouldn’t be surprised that I can’t sleep again tonight…at least I have something exciting to think about while I’m awake.’


           ‘                                                                                  April 29, 1951


So much has happened in the last few weeks! Some good news and some…well frustrating news dear diary. I think I will start with the less exciting news just to get it off my chest.

I have finally told Steve that I cannot marry him; I explained to him that although I think he is nice and has treated me well enough, I think he would make a good husband for someone else. Needless to say, Steve was angry, as well as my parents when I told them the news; in the weeks that followed my parents and Steve have doubled their efforts in changing my mind. Steve has come over for dinner every night and stays by my side; he has also been sending me flowers and love letters. Mother has dragged me to shop for wedding dresses. I really just wish they would accept and respect my decision.

Now onto the good news…I met someone while I was at the library! His name is Thomas Winchester and he is the sweetest, funniest, most handsome man I’ve ever met. Thomas makes me laugh like no ever has; I feel safe and loved when I am with him. The only sad part is that our relationship has to stay a secret.

Thomas is working while he goes to school; he works at the library (this is where a lot of our dates have taken place, though we will go for ice cream or dinner and walks) and he is going to school to become a dentist.

Last week I told Thomas that Romeo and Juliet is my favourite Shakespearean play and a couple of nights ago he stood underneath my window and recited the speech Romeo gave underneath Juliet’s balcony! The best part…he then climbed up the trellis! We talked for a couple of hours, his arms around me; dear diary I am in love with Thomas. He told me a week and a half ago that he loves me! Love at first sight actually exists! I can picture a life with Thomas that is filled with love, laughter and a gaggle of children; I can see us growing old together surrounded by grandchildren and maybe even great-grandchildren. I love him!


                                                               That’s all for now Dear Diary’


Two weeks later…

           Rose sat on her window seat, diary in her lap; she looked down at her left hand and smiled as she watched her pearl and diamond ring shine merrily in the lamp light. ‘I don’t think I will ever stop smiling!’ thought Rose dreamily, ‘I can’t wait to become Mrs. Winchester!’

           Rose opened her diary and began to write:


           ‘                                                                                    May 13, 1951


I am going to need a new diary soon; which is wonderful as it will mark the beginning of a new life. I have the best news dear diary!

Two weeks ago, Thomas and I have been talking about our future and we started to talk about marriage. We both desire the same things in life, and we will take things one step at a time and make a life together, side by side.

Last Friday, Thomas proposed! I accepted! He gave me his great grandmothers ring; the band is silver with tiny diamonds and in the center is a small pearl surrounded by more diamonds. It is the most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen!

We have not yet told my parents (his family is very excited for us.), and so I wear my ring on a chain around my neck during the day and on my finger at night. The reason for this is: I have told my parents that I am seeing someone else and they became furious and demanded that I end the relationship. Steve will not leave me alone, (it’s a miracle that I can escape to the library to see Thomas during his break!) he keeps calling and spends (when he isn’t at work) his time here. Steve has proposed, in total, five times! Each time I say no, he merely shrugs and says that it is only a matter of time before I give in and say yes.

The last couple of days, Thomas and I have been talking a lot about eloping and then having a celebration with his family. He knows how much I want my family to see me married; I’m sure that my parents will come around someday and be happy for me, it just hurts in the meantime. Thomas has promised me that when they accept our marriage, we will have another celebration; for now, we will send them a card with a wedding photo after we say our vows.

As hard as some of this has been, I am so grateful to have my Thomas in my life, he is the love of my life and through good times and bad I know that he will always be there for me.

                                               That’s all for now’


A few days later…


           ‘                                                                                  May 17, 1951


We did it! Thomas and I are now officially married! This morning we went to city hall and tied the knot; our closest friends were our witnesses. Afterwards, his family gave us a reception at their home; they have been so generous!

Our gift from Thomas’s parents has been the best gift and one that we are both grateful for: they gave us a house! (Thomas’s father is a lawyer and his mother is a school principle- they told us that they wanted to make sure we would be settled in close by). We are a couple blocks away.

I was lucky that I was able to get into my parent’s house to pack my belongings, my sister helped me (she was able to come to my wedding reception.)

We decided to not worry about unpacking and setting up our house, at least for tonight. I know that we made the right choice in following our hearts and getting married.

I am so excited to start this journey with a wonderful man by my side…Thomas got me a new diary (the same as this one except its purple).

                                                             This is all for now

Mrs. Rose Winchester’

            Rose closed her diary and smiled; Thomas wrapped his arm around her and placed a loving kiss on her cheek. After turning off the lamps, Thomas whispered in her ear: “I love you Mrs. Winchester!” Rose smiled and kissed him sweetly.

           “I love you Mr. Winchester!” murmured Rose happily

April 10, 2020 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.