0 comments

American Coming of Age Drama

In the busy city of New York, a play had just finished and the cast were posing for photos. The main cast were first to get photos including the well known Hayes sisters who were both now married.

The excited and young-looking photographer captured the elegant poses of the two ladies.

They were met with the judgemental scowl of Sarah Smythe who many people described as self-centred and conceited.

The camerman tried not to smirk while seeing the pompous woman stare down at the director's daughters. Melinda was handling her early 30s well with beautifully placed makeup and a smokey eyeshadow which complimented her green eyes. Melanie was just shy of 30 and the dark eyeliner she was wearing made her baby blue eyes stand out. The youngest sister placed her clutch bag in front of her torso. Melinda noticed and she nudged her sibling while smirking. "I bet spinster Sarah will have something to say, but don't worry about hiding the bump. She's already telling people you skipped out on the gym. May as well give her something interesting to talk about," the oldest sister laughed. Melanie rolled her eyes, "oh like when you married her brother and had my nephew with him," she chuckled.

The women had one last photoshoot and Melanie had gotten tired of hiding her condition. Plus her arm was getting tired. So she placed her hand on her hip, her clutch bag rested by her thigh. Melinda smiled and sneakily put her hand on the side of her sisters baby bump. The truth was out and the cameraman, Larry Smythe, cheered at the girls. Melinda smiled, "it was about time my sister announced this. I'm so happy for her" she boasted as they posed.

Melanie was starting to feel a bit queasy, she was surprised that she was able to hide the nausea for nearly 2 months. Just as she thought it was over, it came back at the most awkward time. She had past the 3 month mark and could frequently feel her unborn child moving around. She was lucky that most of her scenes were behind a set piece or on the couch. The theatre company was under more pressure than usual as they were alerted on three VIP guests.

The Royal family of Alexia, a kingdom from a small country in Europe, were in the audience. Although that seemed minor in comparison to Sarah's tyrannical behaviour since her father owned the theatre along with many businesses.

She was jealous of Melinda and hated that she married her brother. Sarah noticed Melanie's slightly swollen stomach and glared. If looks could kill, everyone in the room would have dropped dead.

Melanie suddenly gulped and rushed to the nearest bathroom looking as pale as the cream background in the shooting room.

Larry had finished taking photos and he had to go collect Melanies nephew Milo from the nursery. Melinda was about to run after her sister but then Sarah told her that she was going to get Melanie fired. The oldest sibling started to challenge Sarah. She had no patience for her threats.

Meanwhile, Melanie had made it to the bathroom in time, she had lost her lunch and the cheesecake she had earlier. She sighed as she composed herself. The blonde woman heard two voices in the subsequent stall. One of which was an adult woman with a thick European accent, and the voice of a small girl who's accent was a mix of European and American. Melanie heard a knock on the toilet stall. The two females had overheard the actress vomit

"Are you quite alright?" The woman asked Melanie. The little girl made 'yucky noises' and asked her mother what happened. The actress opened the bathroom door and was astounded by the two females who were next to her.

They were mother and daughter, the oldest had a well placed golden tiara on her head as did the little girl but hers had one simple cerulean gem while her mother had three deep plum pearls on hers. Melanie was still in shock. The woman smiled, "even I have dealt with that while carrying my daughter," she smiled as she noticed that Melanie was pregnant.

The understanding Monarch offered to allow Melanie into their private quarters so she could get some rest. Queen Alyssia offered a private checkup for the actress.

Melanie had to pinch herself, but the cuddles she was receiving from the 4-year-old princess was evidence enough that she wasn't dreaming. They began to leave the stall just as a huge argument was breaking out in the lobby. The confused actress walked over as many of the cast members, including her husband, were raising their voices at Sarah.

"You have no right to fire my wife!" Matthew Mason growled. Sarah shrugged, "well she will hold us back now that both the Hayes sisters are going to have kids now. Bad enough that Melinda couldn't keep her hands off my brother. Now Melanie's got one on the way. This is business, not a creche!" She scoffed. Several people glared at the obnoxious woman. One lady stepped up, "excuse me but I run the company creche and I'm more than happy watching my great-grandson, thank you very much," Caroline Hayes sneered.

The Queen was shocked, but then she heard a European male speak up. She instantly knew it was her husband Louis.

He glared at Sarah, "last time I checked you were not in charge of managing employees. And as the King of Alexia, I order you to leave Melanie Mason alone! Failure to comply will result in severe consequences!" He said sternly. Sarah grunted and reluctantly agreed. She didn't want to argue with Royalty.

King Louis smirked as his daughter Leena had taken Melanie into their private room. She was offering the expectant lady some cheesecake. She laughed as she thought she would be put off it after puking up the serving she had earlier. The King and Queen noticed Melanie and Leena had eaten half of the large cheesecake and the young girl had her hand on the actresses moving stomach while giggling.

August 27, 2021 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.