20 comments

Historical Fiction Christian Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Led Into Temptation

Aaron waited. Waited and waited. Still no sign of his younger brother. How much longer should he wait?

Aaron worried. Worried and worried. How much longer would he have to worry? It was driving him to distraction. Maybe that's what he needed... a distraction.

That crazy kid brother. Well, not so much a kid anymore. But even when he was younger he always had his head in the clouds. Like he was following some divine intuition. Boy, the things that kid had talked him into helping him out with, especially recently. It all could fill a book, maybe more.

As a peace-loving man, though lacking self-confidence, the youngster often got himself in trouble trying to do the right thing to help someone else. If he saw an injustice he tried to correct it.

But this time was really earth shaking. Aaron could feel it and hear the rumblings coming down from above. Maybe the God-fearing kid has taken on more than he can handle. More than his big brother can help him with. Could be he was in over his head. Aaron almost decided he had waited long enough and was tempted to go looking for him. Rescue him from whatever God-awful event was befalling him.

Yet, the reluctant leader had told Aaron to wait. Let him handle it until he asked for help. But how long is long enough? Aaron lost count of the days but at least one moon had rolled around since his brother, Moe, hiked up that mountain with his walking stick. And, like he was God Almighty Himself, ordered no one to follow him. What if he had fallen and was laying injured in some ravine up there? The unknown was torturing Aaron.

Not only was he concerned about his brother, Moe had naturally left him in charge of the encampment as well. And the people were getting more than concerned. He could hear them grumbling. A bunch of the refugees were headed his way.

“We put all our faith in the words of that wayward brother of yours and now look! He is no where to be found. He talked us into leaving perfectly good, comfortable living quarters to follow him out into this... this wilderness with promises of plenty of good riches but look at us now. Where's all the abundance? We got less than we ever had while he has run off and deserted us. This land is barren. Food and water is nearly non-existent. If we wanted to perish we could have stayed where we were,” the brave spokesman, Dan, complained.

His sidekick, Nathan, chimed right along, “That's right, Mister Big Mouth, you are the one doing his talking because he gets his words all tumbled together. What do you say now? We've run right up to this belching mountain and you tell us we can't so much as touch it to see if we can get over or around it while he checks it out. Waiting for instructions or whatever. How long we supposed to wait?”

“Yeah, Buster, you are in charge now. We are bored. Give us what we want. Give us something to believe in. Something that can lead us out of here. Or else we'll take matters into our own hands,” threatened a third rabble-rouser, Jesse.

“Now, now, now, Fellows, please be patient. Remember all the good things we have accomplished. We've been through a lot together. This is a minor setback compared to the oppression we came from. Our people weren't free to do anything besides being abused. Think of the fast-talking negotiations we endured to save us from that. Remember the bonds we've made. Better times are right around the corner. Hang in there a little longer.”

Gabe, the biggest and toughest of them all added, “How about we just put a rope around your scrawny neck and hang you around a little longer, Old Man.”

More thunder and lightening boomed from above engulfing the mountain but not the parched plain.

Against his will, Aaron was forced to take evasive action or suffer dire consequences. The disgruntled people were demanding some kind of god. What else could he do?

“Okay, Friends. Have your camps gather all the precious rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings you can find and bring them to me. Someone build up a fire.”

As the precious metal smelted down Aaron fashioned it into a mock-up of something he saw back in the land they had escaped from. Never being much of an artisan, Aaron thought it barely resembled a young bullock. It would have to suffice.

Some of the men hoisted the shiny statue up on a makeshift pedestal and built an alter in front of their new 'god'. An array of sacrifices were soon spread out upon the virgin butcher block top.

More and more followers were tempted to join in the excitement. Raucous songs of praise were lifted to the heavens and wild abandonment dancing erupted. But their playful adoration soon turned into debauchery and drunken revelry. The crowds grew larger and the noise level increased.

The out-of-control partying lasted on into the evening and throughout the night. The cacophony of sounds rose above the trembling of the mountain and reached the ears of Moe who was descending after forty days and forty nights with the produce of his mission. Two heavy, hand-engraved stone tablets.

Upon seeing the depravity of the peoples, the meek-mannered, tongue-tied truth seeker's anger burned deep as he dashed the treasured tablets against jagged boulders shattering the wisdom written there. “You stiff-necked people! Why must you be so stubborn to not turn from your sinful ways to follow the will of our living God? Would you have a dead idol to lead you into temptation? On wings of an eagle you were delivered from your enemies such a short time ago.

“Aaron, how can you explain this abominable idolatry?”

“These people you led out of the king's land made me do it. They threatened bodily harm to me if I did not comply. They lost hope in you ever coming back. The gold was melted down and this calf came up out of it.”

“Burn it down to ashes, grind it and put it in their water to drink.”

And it was so.

(Quoted from Exodus 32):

And Moses said, ”Who is on the Lord's side? Come to me.” And all the sons of Levi (Aaron and Moses's tribe) gathered around him.

And he said too them, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel, 'Put your sword on your side each of you, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill his brother and his companion and his neighbor.””

And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses. And that day three thousand men of the people fell.

And Moses said, “Today you have been ordained for the service of the Lord, each one at the cost of his son, and of his brother, so that he might bestow a blessing upon you this day.”

And thus the tribe of Levi became the priests serving the Israelites. Including Aaron who did have to atone for his sin in a ritualistic way.

Moses pleaded with the Lord to forgive His people of this great sin. The great I AM assured Moses He would blot out of His book whoever has sinned against Him. Therefore, none of that generation, those older than 20 years at the time, entered into the promised land of milk and honey. Instead they wandered in the wilderness for forty years.

He who has ears, let him hear. Lest he fall into temptation.

P.S. Aaron was age 83 at this time and Moses age 80. Over 600,000 Israelites were rescued from Egypt after being enslaved there for 430 years. Read the rest of the story in Exodus.

November 29, 2023 20:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Rebecca Lewis
00:35 Mar 31, 2024

You nailed the essence of that biblical story! The way you portrayed Aaron's struggle and the mounting tension within the community felt so real. It's impressive how you brought these ancient characters to life, showing their human flaws and the tough choices they had to make. The build-up to the golden calf scene had me on the edge of my seat, and the aftermath was a stark reminder of the consequences of giving in to temptation. Adding in the ages of Aaron and Moses was a nice touch that grounded the story in its historical context. You did...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:16 Mar 31, 2024

Thank you so much!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
12:40 Dec 10, 2023

Loved this reference to the brothers. “Moe.” What a cute nickname for Moses. Thank you Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:04 Dec 10, 2023

Thanks. Just leading up to the big reveal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
06:40 Dec 08, 2023

Well done Mary, single quote and deep dive with your own spin for character arc. It was an easy read, I think pacing was just a tad off, which gave it a ‘novel’ feel, the only bit that threw me out was when Aaron made the calf, it seems rushed, melting that much gold would take a lot of people and time. My take on the story would have expanded there and trimmed the end. Let your Protagonist shine. Keep them coming.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:24 Dec 08, 2023

Thanks for the read and comment. I'll try harder.

Reply

J. I. MumfoRD
19:38 Dec 08, 2023

Just hold on to your spirit, I’m liking your stuff. Also my advice is entirely instinct, so… salt pinching.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:24 Dec 03, 2023

Well done with your story. Great example of temptation. I always saw Aaron as a person harassed by the people, in this instance. Giving the excuse of the calf coming out, like he had no part in it, is actually quite funny. He wasn't killed. In God's eyes he was seen as someone manipulated. He probably didn't know what to do with so many people. What many don't understand is God's extreme feelings about worship of any icons or anything animal like. It's stipulated in the first part of the ten commandments. Ironically, these as well as other l...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:23 Dec 04, 2023

Yeah, I reread all of Exodus and then some again researching this and only used a smidgen of the vast lessons. I was really trying to remember what happened to Aaron. He still became their chief priest but did go through ritualistic procedures but I don't think they were any more than any priest had to do each time he served in the high court. Two of his sons died on the spot for offering unauthorized sacrifices or maybe their hearts weren't right. I know Aaron didn't enter the promise land but neither did Moses or any of their generation. M...

Reply

06:42 Dec 04, 2023

Yes. Aaron a priest. (Making sacrifices and focusing on spiritual things) While in the wilderness they used the Tabernacle - a specially and ornately designed and constructed tent which could be folded down and carted around as the center of their worship. When camp was set up it was in the centre with all the tribes in groups round it (stretching out for miles) like on a clock face or pie. Very orderly. Aaron had four sons and yes, two were killed for disobedience. Moses didn't attribute the miraculous water to God so yes again. He missed o...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:54 Dec 04, 2023

You know it very well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:37 Dec 02, 2023

The Bible has the most incredible stories! I like your version from Aaron's perspective. He had no idea what to do, and all he knew was the stories he had been told, of praying to animal idols. This reminds me though, of how bloody the Old Testament is, and the Vengeful God of those stories. Thanks!

Reply

20:56 Dec 03, 2023

Yes but only where people disobeyed. Moreover, prior to this story, the people promised on their lives to only serve this God. I say 'this God' because calf worship (Calf gods) was prevalent in those times among surrounding nations. One revolting practice was to sacrifice the firstborn in a fire to such gods. The God of the Bible had his reasons for dealing with those who disobeyed in Mary's story. Moving ahead in time, Archaeologists were horrified when digging up remains of temples in the land that used to be Canaan. They found jars and ja...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
02:08 Dec 01, 2023

Mary! Inspired story. This could be a great premise for a novel! Very well done. A gripping story told through the eyes of the older brother who gets forgotten in this epic tale. Awesome job! Honestly, I don't know how many people are even aware of this story with the golden calf and the scapegoats, the literal scapegoats, and the tension between Aaron and Moses. I literally had a case file for my law school moot court in 2002 about a community leader that was set up for a fall--and used this story as my theme in my opening and closing--sayi...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:00 Dec 01, 2023

What high praise, Jonathan! Of course, you give me way too much credit. Afterall, it is Biblical! Interesting you used this in your assignment. Thank you for your insight. Maybe I have found a source of inspiration for other stories. I struggle for ideas and here lies a treasure trove.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:28 Dec 03, 2023

Love this comment, Jonathan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Martin Ross
23:25 Nov 30, 2023

Another great adaptation of a familiar story into a modern context and vernacular. By seeing it on our contemporary terms, we gain a fresh appreciation. Well done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:02 Dec 01, 2023

Thank you for the comment and for catching up on all my ramblings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:40 Nov 30, 2023

Of course, for the topic of temptation, there's lots of inspiration in the Bible - certainly fitting for the theme this week. The story highlights various forces here - peer pressure, the threat of a mob, perhaps the fear of change and the clinging to old habits, even when they don't serve us. The results are disastrous for many - but change always has growing pains, doesn’t it? Progress requires sacrifice. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:48 Nov 30, 2023

Thanks for insight.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.