RAIN DANCE

Submitted into Contest #160 in response to: Set your story during a drought.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Romance Teens & Young Adult

Clara and Gavin sit on the fence facing the dried-up fields. The foliage and shriveled crops sit in the dusty soil as they die of thirst. The depressing sight is very sad and dangerous for the farmers of Albuquerque, New Mexico. At seventeen years old, the two teens are aware of the damage this is doing to the economy and the lives of the people that call this land home.


“I am so nervous, Gavin. What is this drought going to do to my family and the other farms? I feel helpless. What if we have to leave?” Clara clenches her fists and screams. “Rain, rain, rain, now!” Jumping off the railing, she makes up a rain dance. Her blonde hair bounces as she lifts her blue eyes to the beautiful but dry sky. “I wish I knew a real rain dance!”


Gavin jumps off the fence and joins his best friend. “Please rain!” He shakes his black hair like he’s trying to get bugs out of it. His hands and feet are going as he yells. Clara grabs his hands and swings him around faster and faster. In moments they are in the middle of a dust devil. Even with bandanas over their faces, coughing fits take hold.


A loud voice calls, “Hey! Stop that and get in here now, you two! Crazy kids.” Clara’s mom, Maria, shakes her head. She calls two more times before they hear her. The teens cough their way to the house. “Look at you two. Oh, dear, you are filthy. It’s not healthy to inhale that much dust. Take off those sneakers and go wash your faces, for heaven’s sake.”


Gavin turns the white sink gray from his dusty face. He looks in the mirror to get the creases clean and sees Clara. Her eyes look haunted as tears leave peach trails in the dust on her skin. She seems frozen. Taking a wet washcloth, Gavin gently cleans his friend’s face. “It’ll be okay.” His voice is soft. “Let’s talk to your parents. Maybe they have a plan?” She nods.


Maria has ice water on the table and a plate of muffins. “Much better. Have a drink to wash down the dust, then enjoy a freshly baked muffin.” The house smells delicious.


Clara eats half a muffin. “Mom? What’s going to happen to us?” Gavin holds her shaking hand.


“I told your father we were waiting too long to talk with you. You’re old enough to know the troubles we are facing. Our family is not alone. Many of the farms will sell while they can get a good price. We are looking for a realtor and figuring out how to stay in town if possible.”


“If possible? We might leave? I want to graduate with my friends next year. Please, I don’t want to leave our town.” Tears roll down Clara’s face.


Her mother takes her other hand. “Sweety, we are doing everything so we can stay. It’s not worth getting yourself all worked up until there’s a reason to.” Sounds of a fight come from the two younger children. “I’ll let you two chat now.” Maria leaves the room in search of the commotion.


“Clara, let’s see what we can do on our own. Your parents are busy, but we have time. What do you say?” Gavin looks hopeful.


“Yes. It’s better than sitting around doing nothing. Where do we start?” Clara sits up, gathering her courage.


“Get your laptop out and we’ll do some research and put a plan together. I’ll get some paper and pens.” Gavin grabs the local paper from the coffee table as well.


An hour later, Clara is crying again. “Things are terrible here. I should have stayed up with our news, at least. I can’t leave here, Gavin.”


“Come here.” Gavin points toward the loveseat. “Let’s sit together for a while.” Clara falls into his arms and he puts his head on hers. “It will all work out. I know it will.” The crying fades out and Gavin looks into her beautiful bright blue eyes. A slight shiver goes down his spine. “We’ve been best friends almost forever. I can’t let you go either.” He takes a breath. “I think I feel more than friendship for you now, Clara.” It was a whisper.


Clara looks into his deep brown eyes. Kissing him on the cheek, she whispers, “I’m glad to hear that. I feel the same way.” Gavin exhales loudly, and they hug each other tightly. It seems to ground Clara. “I choose to believe we’ll be okay.”


The next day, the pair goes off to speak with other farmers, and Gavin speaks with his father. Visiting the local realtor is next. Selling the farm, buying a house, a job for Henry. Check, check, check. Things were looking brighter already. By dinnertime, they had a report typed up and ready to show Maria and Henry.


Coffee and dessert are served. Gavin gives everyone a copy of their research. “Wow, this is very professional looking.” Henry reads over the information. “What is this about a job?”


Clara speaks up. “We listed several opportunities we thought you might like, Dad. Gavin’s father is looking for a partner for his supply store. He really wants to speak with you.”


“Really? I didn’t know he was thinking about such a thing. Can I ask why?”


Gavin sits up straight. “Well, sir, he’s getting more tired these days with business picking up. He thinks a partner would be better than hiring help. More shared responsibility, you know? Anyway, when I suggested you, he got very excited. He says you’d be his first choice.”


“Well, I’ll be. I wouldn’t like anything better. Thank you so much, son, for all your help. I am impressed.” Henry shakes Gavin’s hand. “I’ll go see your dad tomorrow.”


A throat clears. “I believe this is a partnership, dear.”


“Right. Thanks to you, sweetheart. We appreciate all the work you have put in.” Clara holds out her hand. “Oh, right then.” Henry shakes her hand. Maria nods in approval.


“Oh my. Look at this darling house. I want to see this in person. I see a note here that a realtor is coming by here tomorrow. This is wonderful, but you could have given me a few days to prepare? Looks like we have a lot to do, gang. Cleaning, repairs, packing, oh boy.”


A week later, Clara’s parents had Gavin’s family over for a barbeque and bonfire to celebrate. It was the biggest bonfire anyone had ever seen! Henry was burning all the broken wood from the fence repairs. As darkness settled in, everyone went inside except the teens. Gavin pulled Clara into his chair and covered them up with a soft blanket. They snuggled as the tall flames flickered toward the starry sky.


“I am so glad everything worked out. Thanks so much, Gavin. You fixed everything quickly.” Clara looked up at her handsome friend.

Gavin kisses her head. “We did this together, remember? I’m happy too. Maybe more than happy. Euphoric might be the right word. We can focus on our future now.”


Clara’s heart skips a beat. “Our future. Oh, how I love the sound of that. Let’s dance!” She jumps up, dragging Gavin out of the chair.

“What? We’re all cozy. Dance now?” Gavin reluctantly gets up. Clara swings him around. She laughs with glee. Her friend caves and joins in. Hands waving, jumping, screaming at the sky. “Let it rain! Rain, please!” They laugh until their sides hurt.


Out of the blue, big raindrops fall. The fire sizzles and hisses, but it is too big to be put out quickly. “Whoa!” Both voices say at once. “It worked! Our rain dance worked!” Clara screams. “Yeah!”


“Better late than never.” Yells Gavin. He grabs his girl and swings her around. Coming face to face, they look into each other’s eyes. Flames reflect in them. The rain picks up and their faces blur through the drops. Time seems to stop. “I love you, oh so much, Clara.” Gavin leans in for a long first kiss.

August 27, 2022 03:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.