0 comments

Black

Clara stood on the balcony and checked her wrist watch once again. She leaned on the railing, tapped her hair into place before reaching for a hand mirror on the chair next to her.

She smiled a little as she gazed upon her reflection in the mirror. Her bouncy chocolate brown curly hair was tied loosely into a ponytail. She let a few strands drop on the sides of her face. Looking intensely into the mirror she pouted her perfect thin lips as she tried to look as fierce as the girl that had graced the last cover of vogue

Looking at her wrist watch again, she wished she had brought out a glass of water with her. Her throat was getting a little dry and she could feel that her lips were now parched.

She looked down at the strapless ethereal turquoise dress she had on. Feeling a little foolish,and a little satisfied with her look she signed.

"Too bad Mateo won't see me in this dress", she said out loud. Defeat clouded her mind and she looked down at the thigh high slit on her dress.

Refusing to let it all bring her down. She held her head high,stretched her hand and started waving like a princess.

Mateo stood transfixed watching Clara walking up and down the little balcony. She made it seem as if she was on stage,her audience must have applauded because she was bowing and curtsying.

Just as she was about to go inside she looked down the road near the park. Her eyes met with Mateo and for a moment she felt frozen. She could hear herself breathing, and suddenly she was aware that she had hands. It was difficult to know whether to put her hands on her waist or touch her face.

After what seemed like eternity,Mateo jogged off and Anna started jumping up and down as she entered her bedroom.

" You are not falling for that little kid ?,are you", Tecla teased.

"Shut up Tecla, you know very well that I am doing all this for you.

Once we get him to confess his love for me then the Oracle will be happy, and they can let your soul go back to its own body again"

"The oracle knows if you don't love him,you better fall in love. Tecla warned .Otherwise I will be stuck like this forever.", she added without much emotion.

" Are you sad",Clara asked.

"I am half ghost Clara,what do you think. I don't know if I am happy or sad. I might not even remember being a ghost when I wake. Will you tell me every detail of it when I wake?"

Clara stood up,and put her hand on her chest. "I swear it on my life",she said.

In the park Mateo sat alone and thought about Clara. If he did not marry her, he was going to die on his twenty fifth birthday. Ever since he visited the oracle last month the dreams had become more vivid.

A part of him did not believe in dreams,but he was so scared that he did not know what to do. He was certain that given the time,he could have learnt to love Clara. A part of him thought that the oracle

must have been behind his bad dreams but he could not be sure.

He really wanted to talk to Clara but she always seemed to be living in a world of her own. A part of him wanted to believe that she would listen to him but he could not be sure. Dying would be far better than asking her to marry him.

Mateo knew that he was good looking by the number of girls who happened to stare at him. At school,at the mall, at church. Everywhere he went,there was always someone staring. It was not important.

" Does Clara care about me", he wondered. Would she marry me to save me from dying."

He sat alone and wanted to cry but he knew that would not solve anything. Closing his eyes he said, "Dad, I know you can hear me, please show me what to do".

At that moment a blinding light struck him. He rubbed his eyes and he saw his father stretching his hand to him. He took him to a field that was made of fluffy snow white cloth. Everyone sang and happily moved about but there was no sound. There was a sound that filled the air,which made it not silent.

Mateo and his father went and sat by a huge mirror which started playing like a biopic. There were countless pictures. He thought of Clara just then and saw her picture. Contemplating playing her biopic Mateo looked away. His father put his hand on his shoulder as the biopic started playing.

It all became clear to Mateo. If he did not marry Clara she was going to die. She had been spending time with the her ghost sister. Slowly she was shifting into the realm of the dead.

The dreams Mateo had been having showed Clara's death not Mateo's.

The vision faded just as it had came and Mateo found himself retracing his footsteps. He did not know how he was going to convince Clara to become his friend but he knew he had to start somewhere.

Mateo stood outside, and watched Clara once again. She looked breathtaking. The sun was now setting and it made her her glow. Mateo felt in awe and pained at the same time. He wanted to rescue her but did not know where to start. Clara called to Tecla, and Mateo wondered how his hearing had become so sharp.

He saw Tecla and Tecla was surprised he could see her.

"You are not real", Mateo whispered.

Right then Tecla started to evaporate like a gas slowly but surely enough for Clara to notice.

" Goodbye Clara",Tecla said.

" Tecla no", Clara yelled.

Mateo rushed up the stairs and to the balcony to find Clara sobbing.

"She ,she was right there..." Clara said and fainted just in time for Mateo to break the fall .

May 18, 2021 14:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.