0 comments

Drama Mystery Suspense

Neel asked with curiosity, “Ma, why doesn't grandpa allow me to enter the hut outside?”

Samira replied, “Even I don't know. He doesn't allow us too. It has been locked for a longer period of time. Your granny also hasn’t got a chance to enter there.”

Samira was taking dinner with her son, Neel and her husband, Paritosh. Her mother, Prativa was serving the food. It has been two days since she came to her own home for spending holidays. Neel had got summer vacation. He was in 5th grade then. And Paritosh also got a few days leaves from his boss. This was Neel's first coming to his grandfather's house. So, he was very excited about this journey.

Neel whined, “ I want more sweets, granny.”

Granny who was looking like a witch, shouted at her grandson.

Prativa said, “No no, not more. Will you get diabetes? Samira, warn him. “

Neel- But you promised me that you would buy me dry desserts if I score good marks. Now, you are breaking your promise. This is not fair, granny. Then I am going to complain to my grandpa against you.

Prativa said, “Okay, okay. You can but I can't give you too many sweets. Take 2 and finish your dinner.”

Neel got only two and subsequently finished his dinner with disgust. Samira and Paritosh were observing their fight over sweets and laughing with each other. Neel was in front of the basin to wash his hands. It was his time to annoy granny. So, as he was washing, he was splashing the water on his grandmother. And she got irritated, then, shouted.

Prativa said, “Neel, stop this. What is it? What are you doing? Can't you behave properly? “

Neel said mockingly, “Hey ghost, can't you cut your nail and hair? So long like a witch. Heeheeehaaahaa.”

He was mocking at his granny.

Prativa shouted, “See, Samira, What your son is doing with me?”

Samira shouted from the living room where they were eating, “You handle this, ma. This is both of yours' matter. Don't push us between you and your loved grandson”.

Prativa said, “Okay, let your grandpa come, he will take a step. Just wait.”

Neel mocked his granny,” Hehe, just wait…..”

She prepared two plates, one for her and another one, for grandpa who was in the worship room. Neel was already in his room. Samira and Paritosh were at the table, just about to finish their meal. Grandpa, Aditya Nath, very tall with long hair opened the door of his worship room and came outside. It seemed that he was feeling disturbed by the outside noise.

Aditya Nath asked, “Why were you shouting so much? What is the problem?”

Pratibha replied casually, “Nothing. It was just your grandson and I fighting over sweets. “

Aditya Nath asked, “Is my meal ready?”

Prativa said, “Yeah, it's on the table. Let's eat.”

Sameera and Paritosh had already finished their dinner. So, it was Sameera's time to serve the food. Paritosh was her helping hand. After a long time, they came here. They were talking about many things. Though it was 10 at night, the area was full of silence as it was a suburban place. So, everywhere, the sound of Crickets was reciprocating.

Aditya Nath asked with his heavy tone, “How's your job, Paritosh?”

Paritosh said with a smile, “Good. I have got a promotion just a few days ago.”

Aditya Nath said, “That's happy news then.”

Sameera was serving them.

Sameera asked, “Ma, rice?”

Prativa said, “No no no, don't give me too much.”

Sameera asked, “Baba?”

Aditya Nath said, “No.”

Aditya Nath was a small talk person. He wouldn't like noise. As he was chewing, was talking also but slowly.

He asked Sameera “How's Neel study?”

Sameera replied, “Good, he has got good marks in his recent exam.”

Aditya Nath asked “Good. Where is that naughty?”

Prativa said, “In his room. Check, what is he doing again?”

They laughed. Here, on the other side of the room, the television was on with low sound, fan was running with its rhythm. Neel was on the verandah looking at the outside small hut and planning how he could enter there.

In the morning, when he woke up, everybody was sleeping. Grandpa and grandma were sleeping in another room. He went outside. The room was locked. He tried to peek in but couldn't get to see anything. As he turned his head, he saw Aditya Nath was standing on the roof. His eyes were bloodshed. Neel got afraid by his grandfather's behaviour. Within an hour, he came to his room and saw everyone had already woken up. Sameera was in the bathroom, Prativa was making tea, Paritosh just started to read the newspaper and Aditya Nath was in the worship room doing his regular morning worship. The sound of gong was floating everywhere in the house. Their maid was washing clothes downstairs. Neel had some school books spread in front of him. He was startled by his grandpa's behaviour. He was pondering about that so, couldn't concentrate on his studies.

Paritosh who was in the same room, asked, what are you thinking about? Don't cheat me. Focus on your studies.

Neel said, ‘Baba, I was thinking about grandpa. I saw something horrible in his face. Whenever I asked him about the outside room he delayed or warned me. What is there?”

Paritosh said angrily, “Didn't you get what your mother said yesterday?”

Neel replied, yeah, but...

Curiosity... makes us so excited inside that we can't fix ourselves until we witness the thing. It happened with him also. There was no friend as he was very new there. So, always in the house with books or television or kidding with granny. He had only 2 weeks left to uncover what there is.

Aditya Nath had just got out from his worship room and was taking morning tea.

He asked Prativa furtively as others didn't get to know, “Can't you see what he is doing? I told you not to let him go there. Where were you?”

Prativa replied, “How would I know? He woke up before us.”

When everybody was at the table, Neel was afraid to come in front of his grandfather. But he came after 3 times of his mother's call.

Aditya Nath asked, “What were you doing?”

Neel asked with fear, “Where?”

Aditya Nath said, “In your room.”

Neel replied, “Oh, studies.”

Aditya Nath asked with doubt, “Is that true?”

Neel said, “Yes, grandpa.”

Aditya Nath laughed, “Hahahaha, I was just kidding with you, my loveable grandson. Are you afraid of me?”

Neel replied with a sigh, “No no”.

At last, Neel got relief. He kissed his cup of tea.

Aditya Nath asked, “So what did you study today?”

Neel replied, “History. About the Sepoy Mutiny.”

Aditya Nath said, “Lovely. Oh, one thing, I heard that you have taken painting classes.”

Neel replied, “Yes, grandpa. Just a few months ago.”

That's great. Aditya Nath said. Show me some of your sketches. Do you have any?

Neel replied, “No grandpa, not here. But I'll send you my paintings. I'm really enjoying the classroom.”

As they were talking, Neel was finding scope to know about the hut outside but didn't get any clue. Aditya Nath got up from his chair and went to his room.

The days were passing rapidly. There was no answer to what is there inside that hut. His curiosity was not appeased. But he was planning a last chance. One morning before their departure from the house, he woke up very early, not as usual. He tried another time to peek into the room but didn't get anything. The room was too dark inside. Nothing was visible. He tried different ways rambling around the whole place but failed every time. Then, being dejected he saw his grandfather again in the same position, but not in a cruel way this time rather with a little smile on his face. He knew it was impossible for him to get a view of this room. The secret was with them. No one witnessed what was there inside the room except Aditya Nath and Prativa.

The next day was the last day of their stay. Sameera and Paritosh had to depart. Neel was upset about not knowing the secret. He left the house with blank hands.

October 21, 2020 16:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.