2 comments

Romance Holiday Drama

Today is a beautiful day and even though it’s October, the sun is still shining. It’s quite warm out today, considering it‘s autumn. In Canada we have crazy weather. Well, specifically, I’m in Ontario. My name is Elizabeth and I own this amazing coffee shop in Toronto. For all of you who don’t know, Toronto is actually the capital of Ontario. It’s really beautiful here. The city is by the lake where you can see the most amazing sunsets, which is why I call my coffee shop, “The Sunset”. 


I opened in the year 2011, so “The Sunset” has been here for 10 years now and it’s as busy as ever. During the summer it’s especially busy. Last year, however during Covid, we had to shut down, but I tried to remain positive and was actually still able to open the patio last summer.


Last fall unfortunately, we closed down again, mostly due to Covid, but it was okay, because it actually gave me a chance to do some planning and reorganizing of my coffee shop. I only hoped that we could reopen by the next spring. Thankfully, as the numbers started to reduce again after the winter, we opened our doors. It was good timing, because we could open the patio and our customers came flooding back to, “The Sunset”. 


This fall however, I decided to spice it up a little and introduce a new line of autumnal drinks and coffees. It’s still quite busy here in the fall too, because lots people like to spend Thanksgiving by the water. 


I actually planned this autumn line back in March when we reopened, because I needed time to design, plan and prepare the kinds of drinks I wanted to offer. I had to consider all of my clients and what they might like. So I decided my target market would include Baby Boomers, “GenX” and Millennials or “GenY”, as they say. I mean people love it here in Toronto. They especially love the iced coffees and frozen drinks in the summer, like my frozen Mint Chocolate, but it’s only available in the summer, so I decided to plan something special for the fall.


My plan for autumn is unique. I plan to have all drinks based on colours and flavours. If I add too much variety then it can be confusing for the customers. So a little variety and a lot of choice works well. I’ve added five new drinks. Keep in mind they can be served both hot and on ice. The weekend prior to Thanksgiving weekend is my time to introduce these amazing new drinks. 


I just finished adding the five new drinks to the menu and couldn’t wait for the weekend to begin; everything seemed in order. By the way, I’m at my coffee shop all of the time. The customers know me and I love getting to know them.  Toronto is a large town and most everyone is nice here.


I was excited this morning I almost wanted to serve the customers myself, but my terrific sales people do a wonderful job. The first customer that arrived was familiar to me. She was a Baby Boomer and quite wealthy. You could tell by the way she walked and talked that she was smart. She came in alone, but ordered two drinks. I guess it was for her husband at home. I had prepared the staff to always offer the new choices first. In fact I told them, even if the customer doesn’t ask, make a suggestion. This lady knew exactly what she wanted though. She ordered the chai tea latte from my new menu. This wasn’t any regular chai latte; it was made with extra cinnamon and ginger, so I called it, “Yellow Sun” Chai Tea Latte. It’s the perfect choice for an early fall morning and this morning was off to a good start.


Next to arrive was a couple in their early thirties, a couple of Millennials. As instructed, my barista Mary suggested the new Apple Pie latte, “Red Sun” for short. It’s made with actual red apples and cinnamon, that’s why I call it “Red Sun”. This couple actually sat down inside after getting their lattes. 


I overheard them talking and felt embarrassed. So I went to the back of my shop. They were discussing where they should spend Thanksgiving this year. Bob was talking and actually raising his voice. “What do you mean we are going to your parents’ for dinner? I want to go to mine! I haven’t seen them for awhile and they’ll by upset,” he said. Anna quietly said, “I know, but it’s Thanksgiving and my parents are so good to me, I want to see them and they adore you.” Bob said, “I guess we’ll figure something out.” They continued to sit there in silence. Anna had tears in her eyes, she knew deep inside it was over. She’d have to tell Bob tonight. He never listened to her and made such a big deal about Thanksgiving and his parents. Well she thought, what about her parents? So this was perfect timing. Besides, all she could think about was Bill. 


Then a small group of four twenty year olds came inside. They all had their masks on, which was amazing to me. I mean although we had been opened since the spring, there was still worry around Covid. So people were still wearing masks. In fact, we had to keep the sign on the door that said, “Masks Mandatory” and for the most part, everyone wore them. 


These kids ordered different coffees and it was starting to get busy. So my two baristas were working hard. They didn’t mind, as they could have all the coffees they wanted and I paid them well. There were two boys and two girls. I guess it was a double date, but who knows these days. The girls both ordered my new green tea latte. This wasn’t any regular latte, it was full of honey and it was of course called, “Green Sun”. I heard the girls laughing and whispering to each other, while the boys ordered their coffees. It was so nice to see young people enjoying themselves and starting their new lives. Kate and Abigail were the girls. The two boys just ordered a regular blended coffee, double, double. They all left the shop and went for a walk by the lakeside. 


So, three down and two to go. So far we have, Yellow Sun, Red Sun and Green Sun. I chose these trendy names, because of my shop, “The Sunset”. During the day it was busy with customers ordering a coffee or specialty drink and staying awhile; grabbing a coffee and going for a walk; or finally, ordering a special drink from my new autumnal line and leaving to go back to work or home.


Near the end of the day, when we were getting ready to close The Sunset, two last customers walked in separately. To my surprise, it was the girl from this morning, Anna and a young man I didn’t recognize. He must have been on the way home from work. My coffee shop was actually a great location, because it was on the way out of downtown Toronto, where many Baby Boomers, GenXers and Millennials worked. They all liked to stop here on their way home. 


Anna ordered “Purple Sun”, it’s a specialty latte with cherries and caramel. It’s perfect for the fall season. It’s like a caramel latte, but with a cherry flavour. After ordering, Anna sat down and was staring outside the window. Finally, the young man decided to order the last specialty latte on the menu called, “Orange Sun”.  This latte is a mango latte with vanilla.  It’s excellent cold as well.


I was tidying up in the back and I told the baristas they could leave early. I would close for the evening. We always closed by seven at night and opened at eight in the morning. As I was adding up the money for the day, I noticed Anna still sitting there enjoying her Purple Sun latte. The young man walked over to her and sat down beside her with his, “Orange Sun”. Shortly after, they walked out holding hands and smiling. I watched them walk away and saw him kissing her passionately. Later that night, Susan went over to her new boyfriend’s house. His name was Bill. So many lives and relationships happen right here in, “The Sunset”.

October 09, 2020 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Chris Morris
21:09 Oct 21, 2020

I really liked the title of your story, set up the Autumn feel nicely. Nice to read an optimistic story about when the virus might be almost gone!

Reply

Jill Ann
18:54 Jun 19, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.