2 comments

Funny Fiction Crime

Nathan, a master art thief, skillfully infiltrated the most secure galleries and museums. However, he also yearned for recognition as a struggling artist. One day, he devised a cunning plan: to sneak one of his own paintings into a prestigious gallery. But as he surveyed the gallery's treasures, he faced a dilemma: which piece should he replace?

As calm as a patron admiring art on display, Nathan weighed his options. Should he swap the famous Monet or the iconic Rodin sculpture? The irony of his situation amused him – a skilled thief now attempting to commit the perfect heist through artful deception.

After much deliberation, Nathan chose to remove a Piet Mondrian creation, dismissing it as "a bunch of shapes no one should care about." With precision, he replaced it with his own drawing and slipped into the shadows.

But as he attempted to escape, footsteps approached, sending him fleeing into the night, leaving his masterwork.

The next day, the gallery buzzed with excitement over Nathan's artwork, hailed as a masterpiece by mesmerized patrons and staff alike. The news of the remarkable artwork spread throughout the world, leaving many curious about the elusive artist behind it.

The illustration itself was of a salad.

A big salad

Nathan rendered the salad illustration with meticulous detail and vibrant colors, creating a captivating portrayal of culinary delight.

At first glance, the colorful canvas drew the viewer into a world of freshness and abundance, where each element of the salad came alive on the canvas.

But Nathan brought the artwork to life with his attention to detail. Tiny droplets of water glistened on the surface of the vegetables, adding a touch of realism and freshness to the scene. Delicate strands of grated cheese and crumbled feta added depth and texture to the overall composition, while a scattering of golden croutons provided a hint of crunchiness and contrast.

As patrons and art enthusiasts gathered around Nathan's illustration of the salad, their voices mingled in a chorus of speculation and interpretation.

"It's about how we are all blended together as people," one person said, gesturing toward the colorful array of produce.

Another shook their head. "That's ridiculous. The piece is certainly about how we need to save family-owned farms. Look at how each ingredient is placed, as if highlighting the importance of sustainable agriculture."

A heated debate ensued as different viewpoints clashed, each person eager to impose their own perception onto the artwork.

"I think it's more about the fleeting nature of life," a voice chimed in from the crowd. "The freshness of the vegetables symbolizes the ephemeral beauty of existence, reminding us to savor every moment."

As the debate over the meaning of Nathan's salad painting reached a crescendo, another figure, who listening from the crowd, stepped forward.

"Perhaps, it's just meant to be a salad," he said.

The words hung in the air, met with a sudden hush from the surrounding crowd. The onlookers turned to regard the speaker with a mixture of surprise and condescension, as if the notion that a simple salad drawing could exist without deeper symbolism ​absurd.

Regardless of its meaning, Nathan's work garnered the admiration he craved, but to claim credit, he would have to reveal his theft of the Mondrian composition, risking everything he had gained.

Nathan's eyes widened in disbelief as the flickering light of the television cast shadows across his face. The news anchor's voice filled the room, narrating the unfolding drama with a tone of urgency that matched the nervousness Nathan felt.

On the screen, footage played of a figure being led away in handcuffs, his face was obscured by a throng of reporters clamoring for answers. Nathan's breath caught in his throat as he recognized the familiar outline of the drawing in question, now at the center of a whirlwind of controversy.

To Nathan's shock the mysterious individual claimed credit for the work.

The arrest of the individual claiming credit for Nathan's salad drawing didn't just make headlines—it ignited a wildfire of debate and fascination within the art world. As news of the arrest spread through social media and art circles alike, the person behind the bars became an enigmatic figure, their actions sparking both admiration and controversy.

From galleries to coffee shops, conversations buzzed with speculation about the motives behind the arrestee's bold claim. Some viewed him as a modern-day martyr, a courageous soul willing to sacrifice their own freedom in the name of preserving the integrity of Nathan's work. They were hailed as a champion of artistic purity, a renegade challenging the status quo of the art world.

But as the debate over the meaning of his salad drawing reached its crescendo, Nathan's frustration simmered beneath the surface, a gnawing sensation that refused to be ignored. Despite the acclaim his work had garnered, he remained hidden in the shadows, unable to claim credit for his creation.

Nathan was master thief who had executed countless heists, but he could tell no one. Now, he found himself unable to claim credit for his own artwork.

As he watched the events unfold, Nathan grappled with the reality of the situation. He had a choice to make. Should he reveal his true identity and risk everything he had gained, or should he continue to lurk in the shadows, forever denied the recognition he craved?

After some time, he decided what he was going to do. Nathan devised a plan unlike any he had attempted before. Like an unexpected twist late in a movie, he resolved to pull off one last heist—a heist to steal back his own work of art. He going to reclaim his big salad.

As Nathan moved through the corridors of the gallery, adrenaline coursing through his veins. Normally calm, this time there was something about this that had him on edge. He was more excited about retrieving his artwork than the heist itself.

Despite his best efforts to remain undetected, fate had other plans in store. As Nathan neared the exit, a sudden beam of light illuminated the hallway, accompanied by the click of a door latch.

Nathan's eyes widened in alarm as he spotted the figure of an ordinary security guard emerging from a side passage. The guard's gaze locked onto Nathan, suspicion flickering in his eyes as he raised his radio to his lips.

"Security breach in Sector C," the guard said, his voice cutting through the silence like a knife. "I've spotted an intruder attempting to flee. Requesting backup."

Nathan felt panic surge through him as he realized he had been caught. With no time to spare, he bolted down the corridor, his footsteps echoing against the tiled floor. But the security guard was hot on his heels, his radio crackling with updates as he pursued Nathan through the maze-like corridors of the gallery.

The guard, nearing retirement age, managed to move with the agility and determination of a newcomer. Nathan's best efforts to evade capture proved relentless. The guard’s determination was matched only by Nathan's desperation to escape. With each passing moment, the distance between them closed, until Nathan found himself stumbling until he fell in the arched doorway leading to Perseus with the Head of Medusa.

The guard, without thinking of the statue, and only of his job to catch this thief, quickly slapped a handcuff on Nathan, and the other on the leg of Perseus.

Nathan didn’t try to escape. In that moment, Nathan realized his daring heist had met an abrupt and ignominious end. He figured there was no reason to risk the masterpiece he was now tethered too.

His dreams of reclaiming his masterpiece were shattered by the most ordinary of adversaries—an average security guard, protecting the gallery's treasures.

As Nathan and the security guard awaited the arrival of the police, the tension in the air began to ease, replaced by an unexpected camaraderie between the two men. Nathan recounted the story behind his drawing—the imposter who had stolen credit for his work, and his determination to reclaim what was his.

Curiosity sparked in the security guard's eyes as he listened to Nathan's tale. "What were you planning to do once you got it back?" he asked.

Nathan shrugged, a hint of uncertainty in his voice. " I hadn't thought that far ahead. It's just that I was the one that actually drew the big salad. He just happened to take credit for it," Nathan said.

"You want to go to jail for credit for the big salad?" The security guard asked.

"No, no," Nathan said.

"Then, what was your plan?" The guard asked.

"There is no problem. Just a small situation whereby he was taking credit instead of the person responsible for drawing the big salad," Nathan said.

There was a short moment of silence as both men were lost in thought.

"So, what is the meaning behind the drawing of the big salad?" The guard asked.

"It's a picture of a salad" Nathan said.

"That's it?" the guard asked.

"Yep, it's just a drawing of a salad, only bigger, with lots of stuff drawn in it."

A short time later, the police arrived. As he was being taken away with his hands now cuffed behind his back, he turned and looked at the security guard and nodded with a wink.

After the room was clear, and the guard was alone, he turned and looked at the statue.

Somehow, the head of Medusa was gone.

Now, the statue of Perseus was holding something else in his hand.

It was a sculpture.

A sculpture of salad dressing.

March 23, 2024 03:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trudy Jas
01:53 Mar 28, 2024

Hey Tee, Critique circle matched us up. This is a great, fun, tongue-in-cheek story. You paced it well, built it up as much as fluff can be built. You managed to get a wonderful story out of bowl of salad. Bet the dressing was "Green Goddess" LOL

Reply

Tee Farewell
22:34 Mar 28, 2024

Thanks, As much as we want to tell ourselves otherwise, life is pretty much just a funny bowl of salad...or something like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.