2 comments

Sad Crime Teens & Young Adult

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to haze, happy birthday to you " Mom sang in her sweet voice for me when I came back from school. I was finally 10 years old .I was angry with her in morning as she had forgotten to wish me.

Now she has decorated the entire house in purple my favorite color and there sat on the table my favorite Oreo cheese cake. I hugged her and blew the candles off.

It was a small party with only me and my mom, it has always been us since we moved here from the city where we used to live. I only have one close friend and she is also my best friend but since she has gone for vacations it was just us.

"Thanks mom,where is my gift? Have you got the cocker spaniel ?" I asked in a sweet innocent tone.

"No honey, I said its for your 12th birthday, this time I have another surprise for you" she said and handed me a heart shaped platinum chain with a pendant. It was beautiful and must have costed her a lot. I opened it and saw a picture of a beautiful lady who looked familiar to my mom on one side and the other side was blank.

"Haze,this is a picture of me in my teen days,this necklace was given to me by your grandmother when I was still staying with her. Now this belongs to you, dear whatever happens keep this safely with you, if you have any problems or worries always clutch it in your hand and pray to god. Surely there will be a positive reply." Mom said with tears in her eyes.

"Why is the second photo empty ?"I asked curiosity. Mom looked at me and tears started pouring out of her eyes. She came to me and hugged me tightly and whispered

"It's for your father,but I am sorry I don't have his picture,it's also best for you to not to know about him too much...

Promise me haze that you will never go searching for your father?" Mom asked me silently.

I looked at her and said through a smile " I promise only if you keep your promise to buy me my cocker spaniel. Promise?"

She smiled and released me and said "promise for promise, alright"?

"Promise for promise, alright."

The clouds were very dark and the place was quite abandoned without the usual amount of people because of the weather. The rain​ was too heavy. Weather reports showed that it was the worst in recent years. We were in the metro station trapped near the gate.

  "Hold my hand, haze and don't let go" Mom said. I clutched her hand tightly and watched the vehicles move. I saw an odd van slowing down when it came to where we were standing. And suddenly a group of guys with some cool weapons and some other stuff came closer to us.

  Before i knew they started telling something to mom and she started fuming with frustrating started yelling at them, one of the guys with a scar on his eyebrow, he charged at us as he took a gun​ and pointed at me.

Mom panicked and begged him to stop. He paused and looked at my mom dangerously and said something which i couldn't catch. He did stop at me, but pulled the trigger at my mom.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

    I woke up sweating,it had been a usual nightmare for me, ever since my mom died in front of me. The incident happened 2 years ago and as for me i don't even know where is my dad or if i still have one.

I was adopted by one of my uncle or so i call him. I thought he wanted to adopt my because of love and sympathy but i was too naïve to understand his true motives. He just uses me for his own good, i was just 12 when he took me.

 "Where the hell are you? I am starving, get me the food right now"

I could hear his scream, and didn't​ want to anger him any further knowing all the consequences i would get.

Slowly with care i stepped out of the bed, not wanting to hurt myself any further. It was still paining as i got close to the kitchen to get something edible.

I saw him half drunk,watching the TV as everything is so easy. I made coffee and toasted the bread left.

"Where is it? Damn i am losing my patience with you girl" he yelled

"Coming" i said, i gave the bigger share to him and was about to eat mine when he snatched it from me.

"You wouldn't be needing this,after all it's me who does the work" he said with a evil glint in his eyes.

I had trouble at holding back my anger that had rise. So i ran back to my room.

"This is so unfair,god is so unfair" i thought and punched hard on the wall. It was painful but i liked this pain as it soothes my other pains.

I wrapped a clothe on my hand and took my backpack and phone and stormed out of the house. I thought of taking my bike, but then felt against it. What I needed was some fresh air to calm myself and my inner problems.

It was early December and I could feel chills running through my spine and cursed myself for not carrying a jacket with me. I passed by the pet shop were me and my mom used to adore the pets, she had promised me to buy cocker spaniel for my 12th birthday, little did I know that she would've dared to break it.

My mom was my best friend I ever had, even when I never used to mingle with other kids or share my stuff, she was always there to correct me and understand me. She was also the one who encouraged me to open my feelings and that's how I got my current best friends .I was so into her thoughts that I didn't see a bicycle coming through the wrong side. The guy screamed as he hit right through my left pelvis.

All I could see was mom, smiling, telling me to get up, before everything went black.

June 12, 2021 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

R K
14:39 Jun 25, 2021

Hi there! What I liked about the story was the relationship that was being built between the narrator and the mom at the beginning so that the loss would be felt later. The necklace is a nice touch to show the backstory of the missing dad as well. Then, more loss is felt as the narrator is sent to live with an uncle...a person who clearly wants nothing to do with the narrator and is verbally abusive. At this point, when the narrator runs away and is on the bike, I think there could be more description about the impact of the car accident...

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:47 Jun 24, 2021

Requires to be made more interesting. Poor English. Poor editing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.