0 comments

Mystery People of Color Coming of Age

"What on Earth is this place?" I asked my myself as I stumbled into a hidden room found at the UMass Boston's library . I have been in this library countless of times that it's practically a second home for me. After all this time, I never realized there was such a place. I thought I explored every the library had to offer. Apparently I was mistaken.

The next thing I did was bring out my phone and use the flashlight to get a good lock on what I'm looking at. It was a dark and gloomy tunnel with cobwebs galore. Off to a great start. I hate spiders more than anything. Part of me didn't want to step into this considerably my aquaphobia and my black heritage. However the Japanese side of me was rather curious.

I drew some blood from one of the spots my doctor gave me a shot since yesterday. Once drawn, I automatically morph it into a solid sickle weapon. At first, I felt a light headed as I drew it out but it was only a small amount anyways.

These powers are something else though. I have been dealing with sickle cell anemia through my life and I just recently found out I have super powers not too long ago. My life certainly changed it's course when I found out, and nowadays I'm more determined to learn everything I know about these blood drawn powers.

I haven't told anyone yet because I didn't want anyone freaking out, especially my dear parents. They would have a heart attack if they found their only daughter can draw out blood with a flick of a switch while dealing with sickle cell on a everyday basis. Yeah, I'll think I pass on telling them this new phenomenal. That and this new passage I found in my university's library.

I finally get my bearings and proceeded through the tunnel. As I walked through the passage, I used my dagger to cut and slice the webs that were in my way. Those that were off the sides along with some spiders, I avoided. One of these days I need to get over my phobia. After walking for a good five minutes which left like an eternity thanks to all the cobwebs, I made it to the end where an old, redwood door was presented.

I went up to the door and placed my right ear unto the surface to hear if I can detect anything inside. After concentrating for a good moment, I didn't hear anything or anyone passed the door. The next action I did was open the door but only slowly. Who knows what's behind this door waiting for me.

Once I opened the door after a good minute, I found a darken room. I continue using my flashlight on the phone as I stepped into the mysterious room that's before me. I cautiously walked there while observing what contains in that room as I attempt to not bump into anything of the sort.

It was a big room with tables and chairs among the sides as well as a fireplace with comfortable looking cushion chairs. Above the fireplace and on the wall, was a portrait of Dracula showing his fangs on any who stare upon him. All kinds of different material shaped bats were surrounding the portrait. Soz not only this place is fested with spiders but with displayed bats. Just great. Not like this place gives me the creeps. Among the tables were stacks upon stacks of papers. While I can go through those papers to see what they consist of, what interested me most was the bulletin board that stand across the way.

I brought my phone's flashlight onto that strange out of place bulletin board. While doing so, I withdrew my blood drawn sickle back to my blood stream and body. A little head rush yet again. These powers are something to get used to. Hopefully I'll master them someday.

Amongst the board, I can see post-it notes and pictures of college students pin on the surface. Under each college student was their own blood disease conditions, all thanks to the notes presenting.

From blood disorders to diseases, there was a student with either leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, and/or anemia itself. There were a total of seven student whom I haven't met yet. After all this is an university after all. However, something else caught my eye and freaked me out that my heart started to race. There was a eighth student amongst that bulletin board. One of those students listed was nothing other than me along with my sickle cell anemia condition.

"What the hell?" I asked myself out loud softly as my heart continued to beat relatively faster than a second ago.

"Yukina, what are you doing here?" asked a voice which felt familiar.

Startled, I turn around and stealthy made a dagger given from my blood being drawn. I quickly hid it in my sweater sleeve and sure enough, it was my college classmate from Ethics, Olivia who was standing right in front of me. One who has befriended me since the start of my freshman year. A person would I thought was alright.

However Olivia's appearance was quite different though. She wore purple liner and a red robe with black diamonds. Behind her were several others wearing the same attire. Literally everyone but Olivia had their faces covered with their hoods given from their robes. I was practically surrounded by them. There had to be at least ten of them. I had now found myself trapped.

Regrettably I said to myself while thinking about the bad decisions I made, especially now: "Great, just my luck. I ended up in a cult amongst the school's library walls. And judging from the looks of it, one that resembles vampires no doubt. I should have listened to my parents about going into strange places that seem off. Silly Yukina, when will you learn not to stick your nose where it should be?"

November 03, 2023 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.