2 comments

Horror Crime Mystery

I head over to that cottage as fast as my legs would allow me carrying a basket of fruits and homemade brownies which are her favourite, hopefully she might feel better after having these.

The streets were still damp because of the storm that hit earlier that evening. Almost slipping at the driveway shot up my adrealine rush and my desperate attempt to save my precious food gave me an unnoticed yet noticable scar on my hand.

I knock loudly on the door "In her study?" I inquired

"Yes, please come in mam"

"Shall it be ok"

"I'm not sure - but don't take any chanc-

I head over to her study knocking once..no answer...twice..no answer....thrice.. finally I give up 

However something seemed particularly off - the light could be spotted from inside the room through the door's bottom and her car was here as well but for some reason there was something- I could feel it there was something demonic inside the room be it her or her work or someone she befriended or even a new pet, I needed to get away as fast as my legs would allow me.

"You can go if you want, to we can look after this place"

"It's alright I'm here now and honestly I don't know when would it be possible for me to pay a visit next so I'll just have to wait for tonight"

"Ok but ring us, shall you need any assistance, I have fed all our numbers into your phone and we will all be nearby, you are free to join us though I mean when mam arrives we'll notice it too"

"I really appreciate it thanks, however I guess it's best for me to stay otherwise she might get mad like that one time right?"

"Hey - I continued

It's alright you guys stop looking at me in such a sympathetic manner I appreciate how well you all do your job and besides you need to stay safe you've all got a family to go home to answer to besides she is my family afterall if I won't be here for her, then who else would be?"

Therefore all the workers who were involved in their respective household chores bid me goodnight along with bits and pieces of advices of the do and dont's even though all varied in their statements and finally by the time I was left all alone it was already 10 pm 

My stomach growled and ached with hunger I helped myself to the brownies that I made precisely leaving enough for her I took out a book from the huge library - Letters From The Midnight by Hayley Dounne reading the summary it seemed like yet another dark mysterious fiction perhaps that's why I avoided this one in the first place when it was out, this is one of her most common major genres even though people love it, they are bound to get tired and such same element when repeated again and again wears off it's effect when taken above a limited extremity.

I wake up feeling uneasy my heart skipped a beat out of sudden suprise she was standing in front of me brushing my hair behind my ear looking directly in my eyes without any expression or even exchanging any words, she seemed souless yet I felt like she could see right through my soul, immediately I stood up with goosebumps all over my arms maybe she noticed that too for she examined me carefully and proceeded to walk towards her study. I kept on following her lead without saying much for it all felt peculiarly uneasy and strange. 

Perhaps I would unaudible as well due to the loud storm and thunder outside whose effect left her all soaked and wet and me - all shivering and scared.

"Do you not want to change into something warm?"

.... "No".

"I made you some of the brownies that you like.. I'll just leave them here" for some reason my gut instinct told me to get out of there as fast as I could but after all the necessary formalities, otherwise she might get mad and I would be in trouble then. 

Avoid anything stupid, avoid anything stupid.. the person in that room felt like a stranger even though she looked like my sister I knew it wasn't her.

She seemed more different than ever, she was never like this though I remember back in those days she was the most goofiest and optimistic person anyone would know however recently she seems to have transformed into this souless monster dare I say.

The first time we witnessed her unusual behaviour was a half a year ago when we all reunited at our grandfather's funeral even though that was the first time we met in 6 months she didn't seem as excited as she would usually be and even though all unreasonable behaviours are justified at funerals as long as the person is sane upto a certain extent, she for one wasn't. Some even claimed that she seemed happy and within the next 3 months she published a book blaming his death on what she said to be a cursed haunted house in which we grew up. 

Then there was that time when we were walking at the grocery store maybe about year ago she was left all alone in the garage and I came back to find a kid of 6 or 7 crying on the ground in front of her although she said she was giving him a hand but something sure seemed off

"You okay?" I was brought back to reality with her deep emotionless voice

"Yeah it's getting pretty late I should head back" 

"No stay, it's late and it's not safe in these streets"

Even though she made complete sense but I felt as though I shouldn't be there especially now all alone however let's Play along for now

"Ok let's sleep together tonight"

-"Why didn't he reply back?" she snapped grabbing for the book that I earlier fell asleep with

"Look at this I wrote such a beautiful work, so so many letters so much love so much time he knows about this he knows no one will ever love him the same and look at this one" she grabbed another dark mystery from her library which also was her work

"look at this it's sloppy but I did great, wrote it with a perspective that he might reject me and choose someone else over me" she was breaking down now. Looking at my face filled with concern she entirely stopped and softly smirked. "Ah stop worrying dear I'll be fine come on it's been a tiresome day

It was about 3 am that my sleep was distributed heading to the bathroom I noticed the light on in her study but I clearly remembered that we went to bed together.

"Hayley you there?"

......

"Hayley I'm coming in alright?"

.....

I open the door the room is the same that it was left like however in the corner I notice a blonde head 

"What in the world OH MY GOD!"

she smirked her hands filled with blood.

"What is all this?" I couldn't keep calm obviously

" He didn't reply me back why didn't he? I'm so sad lately I don't feel like I can break free help me" she extended her hand.

Regardless of what is going on she is my sister, she needs help, this too will pass I know her she's my little lonely sister I pull her into a tight hug

"That's alright I know you didn't do anything bad I know let's get you cleaned up then we'll talk"

Her hands moved from my torso to my neck and suddenly she was strangling me

"Who said I owe you an explanation? Why did you leave me here" she yelled so loud that I could feel my heart exploding 

"I always asked you to be by my side, look what all this made me" she was sobbing loudly now "please forgive me forgive me forgive me" I moved her hands from my neck and even though I almost faced my death head now just a second ago I believed it wise to be calm helping her clean and change I placed her on bed and after a while when she was asleep soundly I quickly got out of bed, out of the door out of her place.

This is the last straw, she seemed to almost kill me the last time as well but this time was too far even for her. I drive my car at a full 180 thinking how I should save the other poor people who maybe go through this everyday, I know they have a place for her in their heart as well for just a few years ago she was the sweetest little thing but I need to save myself and the others, it might be too late for her though but I cannot see her anymore never again, that wasn't my sister.

February 01, 2021 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michael Boquet
19:21 Feb 11, 2021

Love the "Little Red Riding Hood" vibe I got from the beginning of your story. I like that your prose is written almost in a stream-of-consciousness style. Very dark take on the prompt. The italicized dialogue toward the beginning, it's confusing as to who is saying which line. Especially because the main character says they need to leave, but then insists they need to stay in the dialogue. I do like how you worded the dialogue though. It gave the world in which you're writing an unique feel.

Reply

Soghra Fatima
10:01 Feb 14, 2021

Thankyou so much for reading. I'll definitely try to bring out more clarity in the future with regard to my character's dialogues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.