83 comments

Romance Mystery Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Mental health, mention of sex


“Oh crap,” I whisper as the morning sun’s rays come pouring into the large bay windows of my room, piercing my eyeballs with so much light that I could feel my irises sweat.


Geez, why is the sun up so high, so early. Damn it, it’s February in bloody Barnet. Shouldn’t I still be waking up to a jet black sky littered with twinkling stars at six in the morning? Why has the cool, chilly breeze blowing from the Arctic that has caressed me for the past couple of months been replaced by the burning lasers from hell? Ugh, climate change, of all the days for you to rear your ugly head….


Right, it’s tonight!


I practically do a pirouette off the bed, as I reach for the tall walnut doors of my closet. I see my favourite black leather mini-dress, the one that hugs all my curves in all the right places and shows off my tight bum, and take it out. I grab my fire engine red Jimmy Choo pumps and smile as I imagine just how fit I’d look in them later once the clock strikes 6 P.M. I search for a small drawer hidden at the very back of the closet and with trembling fingers, retrieve a small black box. I can’t help lifting the lid, just as have a million times already, and beaming as I see a platinum band with a bezel-set diamond sparkling in the centre.


Tonight, I will ask my sweet Simon to marry me.


I know what you’re thinking. “Oooh, Amy, why are you the one doing the proposing? Shouldn’t it be the man asking you to be his wife?”


For Christ’s sakes, it’s 2024. Do you all still believe that marriage proposals are the sole territory of men, that the male species should have sole power in a romantic relationship? Besides, Simon is a very timid type; he’s the sort of man who not only minces his words when requesting for something, but practically purées them, afraid of causing offense to others --- especially when it comes to me, the love of his life. It’s just right that I --- the more assertive one, the one that brings my beloved out of his shell --- am the one asking my Simon to be my husband.


I mean, yes, it’s always been me taking the initiative to take the steps first in the five-year relationship; it’s true. However, whenever it is him summoning his courage to move the relationship along, goodness is it special.


You should know how I felt when I first received a card from Simon, the one where he bared his romantic feelings towards me. Six years ago, I moved from my landed family’s country manor to London. Yeah, at first, I detested the move; it wasn’t my choice after all. However, all that hate dissipated when I saw who my next-door neighbour was: handsome, golden-haired, blue-eyed Simon. Geez, you should have also seen how hard and how fast I fell for him when I first glanced at him cooking from my bedroom window; it was like I was free-falling to the molten core of the Earth.


Anyway, from that time on, I started dressing up in tighter and tighter outfits in order to impress Simon. Did you know that he scared me at first by not saying anything about my mini-skirts and corset tops? Yeah, Simon didn’t say a word about me looking fit, and so I resigned myself to thinking that he’s gay (I mean, why else would he be wordless about my sexy clothing?). Imagine my surprise when one day, I saw a Valentine’s Day card at my doorstep, and on the inside was….oh yes, Simon’s fluid penmanship declaring that he’s always secretly loved me and that whenever he’s near me, he feels home. How cute is that! I think the only caveat is that he called me “My sunshine” throughout the card. Yuck! Sunshine?! Oh well.


You should know how it feels every single time my Simon drives me to the hospital. Unfortunately, yes, my parents in the country had begged me to come see some Doctor Isobel Ravenscroft weekly (Well, more like threatened me. If I don’t see her, I’m off the will apparently. Ugh, annoying.). Anyway, my knight in armour decided to take me to her clinic in his blue Toyota so he could use the drive to spend more time with me. Isn’t that sweet? My Simon and I talk about everything under the sun in that car…well, that is if I can even manage to speak without stuttering whenever I see his blond curls and those cornflower eyes. Teehee! I swear that car is my favourite place…no, it’s actually my second favourite place on Earth.


What is my favourite place on Earth then? Why, his office! You should see how whenever I visit Simon at work, he wants to make love to me. Every single time it’s just the two of us in that enclosed space with his work computer on the desk, he just has to touch my chest. Of course, he has to be discreet about it; what if someone discovers us, after all. I swear, though, when his hand is on my left breast, I could feel those blue eyes boring right through my clothes and undressing me. Geez, if I had my way, I’d clear off that work desk of his; I’d strip him down naked, and he’d plunge into me right then and there. However, I know that Simon is one of those types that wants to save himself for marriage; that’s the only reason I haven’t slept with him yet. Once I slip that wedding ring on his finger, though, ooh! Well, I have always wanted four children minimum, so he’ll definitely have to make up for it. Teehee!


So, it’s settled. I’d slip on my leather number and red hot stilettos before dolling myself up tonight. I’ll be cooking my famous roast chicken, the one that will surely be hit with Simon and the four or more offspring that will bear his face, and we’ll have dinner at my place. I will thank him for loving me before I kneel down on one knee. I will watch as his beautiful blue eyes fill with tears as I slip on that diamond ring on his fingers.

Geez, I’m so excited! Mrs. Amy Gardiner, how lovely it sounds!

****************

“How perfect,” I exclaim at the unusually sunny February afternoon sky.


It’s 14 degrees Celsius, just as I had fervently wished it would be today of all days. From this bench in the middle of Green Park, I could see that the yellow flowers that I’ve always loved whenever I come to visit are starting to bud. However, all this beauty pales in comparison when I see the loveliest thing in yellow I’ve ever seen walk towards me, a bright smile on her delicate face.


“My perfect flower,” I state, beaming at my lovely Isobel in an ethereal, marigold chiffon number. I hand her a bouquet of sunflowers wrapped in gold wrapping paper and tied with a silk ribbon the same colour as her dress.


“Sweetheart! You shouldn’t have,” she replies, her beautiful jade green eyes sparkling in surprise.


I cup her face as I kiss her slowly, her delightful citrusy perfume filling my nose from up close. Isobel responds by pressing her soft lips to mine.


God, how did I get so lucky?


When I picked up a lost medical textbook left on a bench here in Green Park eight years ago, who knew my life would change forever for the better? Yet that’s exactly what happened when I handed it back to the beautiful redhead who’d been walking around the green for fifteen minutes at the time trying to locate it. I must admit, I was instantly smitten with her. However, when I saw her the next day at the medical school library and she introduced me to her mates as a "new friend", I accepted it, albeit with my heart slightly breaking.


“Hey, if that’s what she wants, don’t pressure her,” I thought. “Don’t be a sleaze.”


Well, eventually, what she wanted transformed into wanting a romance with me. The night before Valentine’s Day five years ago, whilst we were out to dinner at our favourite Italian joint, Isobel got called to the stage by the band performing. I was surprised when she rose up, confidently took the microphone…and stated that the song she was about to sing was dedicated to me. I gasped as her melodious voice filled the restaurant with Roberta Flack’s “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”. She didn’t see it from onstage, but happy tears filled my eyes; she was singing that lovely melody…for me. For me, of all people!


After her performance, I tried to approach her. My mind whirred with glee as it tried to come up with the best way to confess to her the feelings I still held after three years of knowing her.


“Oh my! Does she know I’m still in love with her,” I asked myself as I took those giant steps towards the stage. However, by the time I reached the front, she was gone.


My heart shattered. Of course, as a cardiologist, I knew that was technically impossible. However, her sudden disappearance felt to me as if fate had literally punched inside me, grabbed my heart, and tore it a million pieces.


I strained to think of a way to tell her my heart was still hers until I remembered a conversation we had a year ago whilst having a picnic at Green Park where she told me she saved every single greeting card she received since childhood and put it in a special chest. I quickly ran to the nearest bookstore, paid for the cutest looking Valentine’s Day card I could find, bought another one because I lost that first one on the way to the hospital (Oof!), and slipped it under the door of Isobel’s clinic. The entire day, I was wondering what her response was, knees shaking in nervousness. Then, at three in the afternoon, I got the answer I was waiting for when she leapt into my arms and kissed me.


The rest was history…and so now, it’s time to mark another milestone in the story of us. I form my hand into a subtle thumbs-up pose. Immediately, the band I’ve hired for today, the very same one from the night Isobel serenaded me, comes out of their hiding spot.


The first time ever I saw your face

I thought the sun rose in your eyes

And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave

To the dark and endless skies, my love


"My sweetheart, what’s going on?”


I take a deep breath as I reach into the pocket of my jacket to get the small, golden velvet box I’ve kept hidden the entire afternoon. With tears in my eyes, I stare into Isobel’s sparkling green eyes whilst I kneel down on one knee and open the box to reveal an emerald-cut halo diamond ring.


“Isobel, the world knows you as a brilliant doctor, but I feel privileged to know the radiant, amazing person you are. You are my inspiration, my light, my best friend, and the love of my life,” I begin.


“Oh my! Sweetheart, is this what I think it is?”


“Dr. Isobel Caroline Ravenscroft, will you do me the honour of having you as my wife?”


From here, I see her green eyes fill with her own set of fresh tears. She then kneels down and presses her lips on mine.


“Oh, my sweet Simon. Yes, absolutely yes!”


I slip on the engagement ring on the love of life’s hand to the cheers of the band, as well as the passers-by at the park.


"Dr. Simon Gardiner and Dr. Isobel Ravenscroft-Gardiner, I really like the sound of it, you know," states Isobel, a cheeky smile on her delicate face.


"That's just perfect, my sunshine," I exclaim to my my brand-new fiancée. Fiancée!


"You know who's perfect, though,?"


"Who's that?"


"You," she replies, giving me a quick peck.


“Shall we go to my place for dinner?"


“That would be lovely, sweetheart."


On the drive home, I feel my heart leap, as it’s always done when I’m near my sunshine Isobel, as we talk about the future that has just started for us both. As we get out of the car, we can’t help noticing the smell of rosemary, thyme, and crispy chicken skin from the house next to us.


“Oh wow, looks like your neighbour is cooking up a storm. Whoever is devouring that roast chicken is lucky.”


“Oh you’re right,” I respond to my fiancée. “Looks like Amy Bolton has finally found someone special to bust out her chef skills for.”


Isobel’s eyes light up at the mention of our common patient.


“That's great! I guess when I see her next week, she's going to come in all sunshiny and well. Do you happen to know who the lucky guy is?"


“I have no idea, my sunshine. Sorry. You know, I only see her when she has check-ups with me, plus, of course, whenever you ask me to drive her to the hospital so she wouldn’t miss her psychiatric appointments with you. But, it would be great to see her finally happy and content."


“Of course. Poor thing, though. Having to be confined to the Nightingale Hospital two years ago after a psychiatric breakdown. I know it has to be tough on her, her erotomania. I’m glad she’s better, though.”

February 11, 2024 14:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

83 comments

Hannah Lynn
14:09 Feb 13, 2024

Great story, you had me hooked from the beginning and I was trying to figure out the ending the whole time. Aww poor Amy, though. That's rough. I must admit I had to look up the meaning of "erotomania" ... always interesting to learn a new word :) Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:34 Feb 13, 2024

Glad you liked it, Hannah! I wanted to capture the shock I had when the twist was revealed in the film I based the story on. I think the saddest part is that Amy will probably make an excuse as to why Simon is marrying Isobel (like she made an excuse why Simon wouldn't go all the way with her, when it's actually a check-up). I didn't know the word either until I watched the film I mentioned in other comments. Thanks for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
13:10 Feb 13, 2024

Haha this was funny and sad at the same time. A bit of a triangle like the missed connections story. This felt a bit more brutal though. Like real delusion, rather than bad luck. Hilariously tragic that she thinks he is saving himself for her. Like she is contorting the situation to fit her delusion. Even the idea of the woman proposing is presented as progressive, when in reality it is just necessary to her. Brilliant dialogue, and a really effective shift in tone half way through. Good choice of song. I love that song. Really unique mel...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:20 Feb 13, 2024

Hi, Tom ! Exactly that. I was debating whether to post this story or not (It's "Ring Me Up", the missed connections story, that I'm more partial to, to be honest.), but I thought since I love romance stories, why don't I post two (and save some of my other ideas for other weeks, if it calls for it. Hahaha!). The idea is actually based off of a French film I love called "À la folie… pas du tout " where, just like here, the love triangle is actually just a pair with someone delusional pining for one-half of the duo. Glad it worked in my sto...

Reply

Tom Skye
13:28 Feb 13, 2024

I don't really know much Roberta Flack. I have never heard an album. I think I only know FTEISYF and Killing Me softly. I should listen to more

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:32 Feb 13, 2024

Oh, you're in for a treat! The album Killing Me Softly comes from (it's actually the title track) is brilliant, as is Feel Like Making Love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RC Riggs
04:58 Feb 13, 2024

Fun story, and oh, to be a fly on the wall in the hour after the story ends! I particularly enjoyed how nicely you changed tone and energy when you changed point of view.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:23 Feb 13, 2024

Oof! Thing is would Amy's mind even accept that Simon is engaged to someone else? Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
10:09 Feb 12, 2024

Poor Amy! This is great, Stella. I feel like this could be a longer story! Like I would read a novel about these characters. Great job! ❤️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:12 Feb 12, 2024

Thanks, Kerriann ! The idea was actually inspired by a French film called "À la folie… pas du tout". Same reveal too about their "Amy" character. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:22 Feb 12, 2024

I feel so bad for Amy! She is living a delusion, but it is her reality, and so will be crushed when she loses Simon, her true love. I liked the descriptions of Amy getting ready, and picking out her clothes. Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:43 Feb 12, 2024

Thanks for reading, Marty! I was inspired by the French film "À la folie... pas du tout" to write this. The thing is Amy probably would never recognise the marriage between Isobel and Simon even when her psychiatrist changes her name because of it. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:04 Feb 12, 2024

Someones' heart will be broken.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:08 Feb 12, 2024

True. I mean Amy will definitely have to go to her psychiatrist and see the engagement ring on her finger. Thing is I don't think her mind recognises that Simon loves Isobel. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
02:41 Feb 12, 2024

That's sad.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:57 Feb 12, 2024

It is. Again, I wanted to create a story where there's a twist at the end. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:55 Feb 14, 2024

Oh dear, there is heartbreak ahead for poor Amy. As I was reading the first part I was sure something bad was going to happen, so I kind of expected Amy to somehow witness the real proposal and who knows what then. Maybe a bit psycho thriller and come at them with a meat cleaver or tragic romance and wilt into a crumbling mess. You have cleverly left this all to our imagination. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:17 Feb 14, 2024

Hi, Michelle! Yes, there was a thriller element to the film I based this from. I was thinking of whether or not to include Amy reacting to Simon's engagement but ultimately went against it. Then again, will even Amy recognise that Simon is in love with someone else, recognise the marriage that will happen; or will she make excuses, just like she did when Simon" would not sleep with her" (because it's a physical exam) ? Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Jo
08:18 Feb 14, 2024

Oof that’s going to be one uncomfortable appointment! I was just working to put the pieces of this puzzle together. It made it so fun to read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:21 Feb 14, 2024

Exactly that. I was debating whether (just like in the film I based the story on) the two of them find out Amy has the hots for Simon but decided against it to let readers speculate what happens next. Thanks for reading this. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Sarah Jo
08:22 Feb 14, 2024

I think that was a great choice!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:23 Feb 14, 2024

Thank you! I also love the twists of your stories.

Reply

Sarah Jo
15:05 Feb 14, 2024

Thanks! My last one got deleted by mistake so I've been trying to get that figured out 🙃 But this one is perfect for valentine's day <3

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:15 Feb 14, 2024

I loved that story! I think you reposted it. Let me comment on it again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:16 Feb 13, 2024

Play Misty for me? This could go really bad for dr. Sunshine, couldn't it? Great story, Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:07 Feb 13, 2024

Misty ! Great song! I was contemplating whether or not I'd make Amy a bit violent (like Angélique was in the film I mentioned in the comments), but decided to end it like this, letting readers speculate what happens next. Thanks for reading ! Glad you liked it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
16:55 Feb 13, 2024

All the loose threads of this story are pulled together when Amy's erotomania is revealed at the conclusion. However, the roles of the two physician characters were not clear enough and it seemed odd that Simon was described as a neighbor who Amy could see cooking through her window. Are they actually situated in a mental asylum? Did Amy also have a heart condition that required she see Isobel? In any case, the premise of the story is intriguing and made me curious about the film it is based on. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:10 Feb 13, 2024

Ooof, I don't think I made it clear enough that Amy's confinement was two years ago. So, no, Simon is not in an asylum. And maybe, I should make it clearer that Isobel is a psychiatrist (Simon is the cardiologist.). To be honest, the one I worked harder on this week was "Ring Me Up" (the submission before this). I just decided to work on another prompt this week because I loved the theme. Anyway, thanks for reading and for the feedback. Yes, that film is spectacular.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:18 Feb 25, 2024

Brilliant, Stella! I had no idea where this was going. Excellent twist! I feel so bad for Amy. But one of these days, I reckon Simon will come home to a bloodbath. Excellent writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:40 Feb 25, 2024

Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it, Joshua. Like I said in previous comments, this was inspired by a French film which had a similar twist. What happens to Simon after, I guess you have to speculate. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
17:15 Feb 22, 2024

Stella, I loved this! I found it completely heartbreaking! Oh I love that you incorporated Roberta flack. Look forward to reading more.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:08 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you so much, Rebecca ! I love Roberta Flack and especially, that song, so it was a no brainer. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
15:51 Feb 21, 2024

Such an interesting device, to switch narrators halfway through, but keep all the themes and intentions the same. Good story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:56 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Kathryn ! I realise I love doing this split POV style. Glad you liked the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
18:19 Feb 20, 2024

You had me hooked from the start! Poor Amy. I was kind of hoping we’d get to see her propose to Simon, or an interaction between them from his pov. Overall though, I really enjoyed your story!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:18 Feb 20, 2024

Thank you so much, Kate ! Yes, poor her. The thing is, I didn't want the two of them to have an interaction because I wanted the readers to speculate what happens next. Will Amy finally accept that Simon is in love with someone else ? Would she make up another excuse, just like she did about Simon not making love to her (the touching her chest being a check up) ? Or will she resort to violence ? I leave it up to the readers to decide. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Kate Winchester
01:28 Feb 21, 2024

Welcome 🤗 That makes sense. I definitely kept guessing as to what was coming.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tracy Phillips
18:15 Feb 20, 2024

Kept me engaged the whole time and I thought there might be a twist at the end, but not quite as it was - great job and good read. Thank you for reading and commenting on my Meeting for the First Time Twice!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:08 Feb 20, 2024

Thank you so much, Tracy ! Yes, I love stories with twists in them, so I love incorporating it in my writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greg Flury
22:24 Feb 19, 2024

You totally had me. Did not see that ending coming until it ran me over! I had to go back and reread Amy's POV. LOL

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:13 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Greg ! Like I said in other comments, I wanted to capture the gasp-eliciting twist of the film that inspired me. "...until it ran me over" 😄 I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
14:06 Feb 18, 2024

Hey Stella, I loved reading your story and enjoyed the intriguing twists and turns. I really wasn’t sure where it was heading, given 2024 is a leap year and 29th February is traditionally the day when women are “allowed” to propose to men. However, I wasn’t disappointed and loved the escalating tension you created throughout, and the moment when the two doctors talk shop and discuss their patient was perfect. I felt sorry for Amy at the end, and could imagine her preparing a memorable evening for Simon, and wondered if there might be a furth...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:56 Feb 18, 2024

Hi, Howard. To be honest, I didn't even know that leap year tradition. Hahahaha ! I'm glad the tension came through. Like I said in other comments, I wanted readers to speculate what happens next. However, I could imagine her explaining it all away and giving an excuse, precisely what she does to explain why Simon would only "go as far as touching her chest" when really, it's a medical check-up. Thank you so much for reading. Glad you, someone I admire in terms of writing, like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Camille Crutcher
01:15 Feb 18, 2024

AHHH! I wondered when her favorite place was was his office where this was headed. What a good twist! Loved how you easily added humor to what otherwise might have been a sad, unrequited love story. A fun read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:31 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you so much, Camille ! I love how you put it. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dennis Haak
21:32 Feb 17, 2024

What a great twist at the end Stella! It made we want to read the story again to see everything in another perspective.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:11 Feb 17, 2024

Oh, that's great, Dennis. Thank you for reading ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.