0 comments

American Drama Friendship

I felt my breath hang in my throat as she asked me that dreaded question. Why did I even come and sit next to her at lunch today? Was it because she was my best friend? Or because everyone else in school seemed weird? What ever the reason was, it was better that answering this question. I should have prepared for it, I knew that somehow, it would leak out, that someone would say something and because of that, I would lose my best friend. I was not prepared for that. She was the only one that really understood me, and I had just betrayed her. The burger in my mouth now tasted dry, I felt like if I swallowed it, I would choke but I did not want to seem disgusting, so I swallowed it and immediately washed it down with some of my coke.

“So, do you have a reasonable excuse?” I heard Clara say gently and calmly but I could her the pain in her voice.

“What?” I asked pretending I did not hear what she had said.

“Why did you kiss him?” That question, why had I kissed Brad anyway? I knew he was her boyfriend. But I did not mean to kiss him. I had told him that I did not want to, and he leaned in anyway. I could not tell her that, it would break her. But then, it would be worse if she found out that her boyfriend is a cheat from someone else.

“I didn’t” I managed to say.

“That is all you’re going to give me, that you didn’t?” She said getting angry.

“You have to understand me Clara, I didn’t kiss him, he kissed me?” I said trying to defend myself.

“He kissed you. He kissed you? How do you expect me to believe that?” She said and I could see the tears forming in her eyes. I could only imagine how she felt, thinking her boyfriend had cheated on her with her best friend and that made me tear up too.

“You have to believe me. I did not kiss him. We’ve been friends since we were babies Clara, you know me. I would not do that to you ever.” I said trying to make her understand.

“I know you Clara. If he kissed you and not the other way around, why did you not tell me earlier, that would have been more believable” She said with tears rolling down her eyes now. I stretched out my hands and clasped my hands around hers in comfort.

“I didn’t want to hurt your feelings” I said honestly.

“Well, I’m hurt now” She said with a little laugh then continued, “Great job.”

“I’m really sorry” I said with a smile.

“Its not you fault, I believe you. I guess its time I break up with Brad.” She said sadly.

“I know how much you care about him” I said showing her that I understood.

“Not as much as I care about you.” She said leaning over to hug me before saying, “Talk about the devil,”

I turned round to see Brad walking this way. He was casually strolling as he waved, smiled and even shook some students. That’s what you get when you’re the popular guy.

“He’s coming here” I said nervously.

“Yeah, he came right on time?” she said with a small smile.

“Are you sure, you’re ready?” I asked with a supportive smile.

“I am more than ready” She said mischievously. “Pretend everything is all right” she added, and I adjusted myself.

Brad came over and sat down next to Clara comfortably and winked at me, making me cringe.

“What are you girls up to?” He asked, putting his hand around Clara.

“You know, the usual. Just girl’s stuff” Clara said shrugging and taking a sip of her milkshake.

“Well, I’m now playing varsity. I have a chance at scholarship and a whole lot of opportunities. Though, that would mean a lot of away games and I’ll miss you. But you can come on some games if you are free. I have decided to join the swimming team as well, I mean it would be good for my college application. Can you believe that Tony, the geek, thinks he is better than me? Who gave him that idea? My dad says he will buy me a car in summer, imagine all the fun we could have with it. You are so lucky to have me as your boyfriend” His voice trailed on and on as he talked about himself. I looked at Clara and she seemed just as bored as I was as she played with her chips.

“So, what do you think guys?” He asked us and I looked total confused. I didn’t hear the question; I had totally blanked out with his narcissistic attitude.

“About what?” I asked.

“About everything.” He said exasperated.

“Well, I think Tony is cuter than you and you are the one who is lucky to have Clara, not the other way around” I looked at Clara who smiled in support while Brad looked like someone had stabbed him as his mouth hung open with an expression that showed his shock and disapproval.

“And you wonder why you don’t have a boyfriend” he shot back. Ouch that hurt I thought.

“Not all boys are as narcissistic as you. I would rather not have a boyfriend than have you for one.” I said angrily before realizing that I may have also insulted Clara.

“Well in that case, I didn’t want to ruin your friendship but Clara, Sharon forced herself on me and kissed me.” He said sneaking an evil grin at me which he didn’t know Clara had caught.

“Oh…” She said sounding surprised and sad. I was confused and I hoped she didn’t believe him. She looked calm and collected but I saw one of her fists clench slowly as she twirled her hair with the other.

“I’m so sorry” He said putting his arm around her then adding, “You know what they say, when you have cancer you cut it off before its too late. You guys have been friends for a long time, but she isn’t worth it.”

“I agree with cutting off bad parts” She said seriously and freed herself from his embrace.

“I am so glad you understand.” He said to her, leaving me totally speechless before he addressed me saying with pride in his eyes, “Now go find another table to corrupt with your filthy stench.”

“Actually, that isn’t what I meant” Clara said, now smiling. “I am breaking up with you”

“Wait what? I already told you it wasn’t my fault.” He said looking confused and entitled.

“Why is it so hard for me to believe you?” Clara asked him.

“I don’t know.” Was his reply.

“Well, I already knew about the kiss before you came here and I know you leaned in for it, not Sharon.” She said getting up.

“Well, believe who you want to believe. I don’t have to explain anything to you, You should have been happy I even let someone like you be my girlfriend.” He said with contempt on his face.

“That’s strange” Clara said with a happy smile and Brad looked confused at that, “I could bet that no one else wants to be with you because of your narcissistic ideocracy. So that means, you are lucky to have me and not vice-versa. You seem to be burning up with all that anger brewing in you.” She was right, Brad was sweating, he was clenching his jaws and fists and he looked like a balloon about to explode. Clara then picked up her milkshake solely, by now, everybody in the cafeteria had their eyes on our table.

“Here, have something cool. We don’t want you dying of heat.” I thought she was going to hand him the milkshake when she emptied it on his trousers and shirt, she then said, “Oops! What a waste of my perfectly good milkshake.” With a smile.

As the milkshake was emptied on Brad, he reflexively stood up suddenly in reaction.

“You little –“  he said but was interrupted by Clara as she said

“Bye Brad. We don’t want your filthy stench at this table” and sat down.

“I’ll get you” he said before turning around to leave embarrassingly as everyone in the room laughed at him.

When he had gone, “Girl, that was savage” I said in disbelief and laughed.

She joined me in laughing before saying, “Well, he deserved it.”

June 27, 2021 20:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.