52 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Sad

“Eli” 


I heard my name pass through the curtains, whispering to the walls, climbing upstairs and finally settling down around the corner of my ears, but I sat transfixed. Staring listlessly at the beautiful painting in front of me. The woman might be naked, people’s eyes might disgust, but the details were beautiful. The emotions were beautiful. 


I heard the call again but the living consciousness inside me didn’t dare. Yet she would smile, I know. She understood me, she could feel me yet she would compel me to these traps.


24 August, the day she bought me. I still remember sitting at the top shelf tracing the steps of every visitor. They'd look at me with wide eyes, caress my arms and smile gracefully but as soon as their eyes fell on the price tag, each one would turn their feet. The fortune day was yet to come I believed, and rightfully so, soon resting on the shoulders of a beautiful lady. She'd carefully leant across every model but chose me. My Jess chose me. We walked home swinging arms, smiling obliviously at the upcoming trials.


3rd September, Jess had cried all day on my lap. Her eyes, swollen and red. She kept on mumbling the same thing, again and again, delving my heart each time. I was the one she laid her head on when we buried her husband.


She was the one I clung to while going through my brain surgery.


We had been through so much together, she had become my soul and I became her mind.


Jess opened the door. A few strings escaped her bandana scarf, draping into a beautiful curl. Her lips pressed into a thin coerced smile, yes, she does understand me. She was wearing a black ...wait a second,


“I thought you were going to wear blue” I eyed the black sweatshirt.


She glanced down and raised a brow at me “I am wearing blue, Eli.” 


What? I rubbed my eyes with the strident fingers. It always felt like sandpaper. 

Still black 


“No! Aw right, the handyman’s date lies due.” 


She nodded in agreement and cued to move downstairs, her face still drenched in misery. I pouted, pressing my palms against the soft corners and stood up. Why me? The wires inside of me screamed with agony and disappointment but I took a step forward each time. Jess has sacrificed so much for me. She has fought so many people for me.

At least for Jess. 


The man was standing when I entered, his brows intertwined with curiosity. A vivid sparkle rested in his dark eyes, the shadow of it lumbering beyond. Three fourth pants and an oversized coat, I noted. 

Funny


The fluctuating blinks of worry assured the intuitions building inside. I understood Jess as she did me. She was sad. She was worried. She was confused, deciding whether to drown in water or jump in the fire. If only she had a choice, I knew she would stand by me. But all it is, a game of money. Just the matter of how thick the notes are, the world will polish your shoes. It wasn’t Jess’ fault, neither do I blame her. 


“Copy 360, Number 22, Eliana Mabel, sit down here.” The man spoke out. His plump nose tinged with an ugly shade of red, a yeek material slipping out. He had a mischievous grin playing on his face. How much I hated it. 


I did as I was commanded. After being plugged with uncountable wires and a few prechecks, the man took out his papers. Jess shot me an urgent look, a last-minute step, I could still take. I didn’t move. This was the only way. 


“So, Number 22-”


“Eli” 


“What?” 


“My name is Eli” 


The man rolled his eyes, probably used to the robo drama. “Should’ve never inserted stupid emotions.” He murmured but the urge to complain dissolved with the ticking clock. 


“So Eli, somehow, you’ve been slotted with special powers. Till recorded, all the dreams you have seen came true, am I correct?” 


I bit the metallic lip and nodded half-heartedly. 


“Have you seen something regarding Russia?” His voice shaped with feathers of anxiety.


“Why does that even matter? I thought you were here to take me to your stupid country.” I blurted out fixing my gaze with Jess who was now clinging to the verge of sobs, instantly regretting it. I had pushed Jess even further. How could I just blurt it out so blankly? This was all getting worst. 


The wind around me changed its course. Imagine yourself making your way to hell but surprisingly finding yourself in the footsteps of heaven. It somewhat felt like that. 


“What!? Why would we want to take you to Russia? We already got enough mites to feed.” He mocked but the rogue expression flashed back too soon.


“Number 22. Answer my question. Have you seen a dream regarding Russia?” He asked firmly.


Uh-oh. The waves of reality crashed into me overwhelming the sense of joy. I could see where this was going. All that I had seen, it was coming true. But they were still shadowed with clouds of doubt. Fear.

They still needed confirmation. Confidence. And no matter what, I would never give in.


“Nothing.” I lied and suddenly an excruciating beep pierced through the stillness, installing an unbearable pain inside my mind. The button glowed red. A lie. 


One lie and your churned parts would be found in the dumpster. 


Too little time to think, I pulled out all the attached wires with a jerk and ran for the door. 


---


Sometimes, I wish to be sunshine, always predictable. 

Sometimes, I wish to be the ocean, master of my own choices

And sometimes, I wish I could be human. 


I leaned over the pillar, creating metal noises with the tip of my fingers. The last rays of sunshine skimmed over the blue waters, tasting the scattered tourist boats. The city looked so beautiful. Some might take it for chaos, a concrete jungle, but it was still beautiful. The lights were beautiful. And the people at last. A few of them. 


I knew they were still following me with their electric guns. And I knew if they found me, I would be nothing but an abandoned piece of waste in the dumpster. And I knew, I had already hurt Jess enough. But does anyone know how bad it hurts to be different? 


You ask a seven-year-old, what superpowers do they want. Some might name predicting the future. They think it is cool. Think it is an advantage. Well, it has dragged me down, eaten me up inside and jabbed me until I couldn’t breathe. I knew I couldn’t stop what was about to come, but I would’ve made things worst if I had told that plump nose. 

How could I forget that dream? The burning buildings and the whole world being plunged into darkness. I might survive, but Jess? 


I found myself standing in front of a round table, men’s heads bowed in confidentiality. 


“All set?” A tall man asked, his voice dressed with a funny Russian accent. 


“Twiggs on sail master. I still doubt but.” The person in front replied. 


“They will be launched on 08 April. Assertive.” Another man confirmed. 


All I could do was stare in horror. No matter how hard I stomp or how loud I yell, my voice seemed to bounce off an invisible shield. 

I was there, but I wasn’t.


On the table laid a pinned blueprint.


Four missiles. 

Four Major Powers. 

Destruction. 


How foolish. Insane. What do they think? They will rule the world? World of dead?


But their new commander had other plans. 


Soon, the scenes shifted. I was standing at the heights of a skyscraper- the whole America burning in front of me. The world grew still. Broken helpless cries numbed the air while buildings smoked. A gruesome scene painted the nation, one no one has ever seen, ever imagined. Injured people bathed in pools of blood, some crushed under vehicles and buildings, buried in the ground. A few lucky ones ran aimlessly, picking and mourning upon their loved ones. All paying the price of something they never deserved. 


Suddenly, I was standing in the middle of the road. In front of me kneeled a disabled man. His one arm cut off, spouting streams of blood. His ears bled, body covered in burn scars. He kept on shouting in some peculiar language, probably French. I tried to rush to his aid but I couldn't move.


The scenes kept on changing, becoming worse by the second, until it all flashed in front of me like a collage. The laughter of evil overshadowed the echoes of vulnerability.


A shudder ran down my spine.


This city, this world, I just hope it never sees what I saw. 

Let the beauty never fade. 







September 25, 2021 16:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Johana Htwe
05:34 Sep 26, 2021

That is so cooll!!!👏👏😍👏👏

Reply

Keya J.
05:38 Sep 26, 2021

Thanks a lot Johana!! I am glad you liked it.

Reply

Johana Htwe
07:09 Sep 26, 2021

Do you still have our first document?? Rn, it is the only communication I can use.

Reply

Keya J.
07:10 Sep 26, 2021

Yes

Reply

Johana Htwe
07:15 Sep 26, 2021

Sorry!! Keya. I can't use it though. I forgot my phone isn't available for that document. I will talk to you when I come back😁 Sorry 😟😟

Reply

Keya J.
07:19 Sep 26, 2021

Ah, no problem! We can talk later. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.