The Grandma, the Wizard, and the Cellar

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Veda awoke before the sun. It was a habit after 86 years of waking before the sun. When she was young, she woke before the sun to do the farm chores before school. Then she was a teacher waking up to prepare a classroom. Then she had children of her own she woke up to cook breakfast. Now with no children left in her home, or purpose she woke out of habit.

She slowly rolled to the edge of the bed, and placed her feet on the ground, and then pushed herself up. She held onto the wall as she made her way to the kitchen. She started the coffee, another habit. She didn’t drink coffee, but her late husband Carl did. She made herself an egg and walked to the table with her plate.

Veda turned the News on and ate her breakfast. Once she was done, she brought out her pills, and put them in her mouth one by one swishing them down with a gulp of water. She then brought out her blood glucose meter, placed a new test strip in, and pricked her finger. She massaged it until a drop of blood pooled and pressed it to the strip. It beeped, and then she recorded the number. She put everything back in the case and took her plate to the kitchen.

Veda then walked back to her bedroom, and changed out of her nightgown, and put on a blouse, and slacks. She took her nightgown and placed it on the basket, but the basket was full. “Well I guess I need to do laundry.” She said to no one in particular.

 She pulled the rug in her hallway up to reveal a trap door that lead down to the cellar. She backed up to the ladder and stepped down a couple of steps. She then secured the basket under one arm and used the other to hold to the ladder.

Unfortunately, she missed the last step and fell, spilling the laundry, she kept falling and when she landed, she had to shield her eyes against the brilliant sunlight. “Oh no my house must have caved in.” she said squinting against the sun.

When Veda was able to open her eyes, she did not see the ruins of her house, but a quiet meadow. But it seemed different, she reached up to her eye that had been taken from the cancer and replaced with a glass eye. It was no longer glass, she flinched as she almost poked herself in the eye. Then she reached for her breast that had also been taken from cancer and was surprised to find there was a breast there. She peaked down her blouse, just to check, and there she had two breasts.

“Where am I? have I died and gone to heaven?” she spoke. She looked around and saw a small cabin at the edge of the meadow. So, she got up dusted her slacks and set off toward the cabin.

Once Veda reached the cabin she knocked. “coming” a voice said from inside. Then the door opened, and a young man in robes stood before her. “Oh, wonderful you’ve arrived, though your slightly older than I imagined.” He paused. “No matter, the prophecy has been fulfilled, do come in.” He gestured.

Veda went inside and took a seat that he had pulled out from under the table. She glanced around the cabin; the shelves that lined the walls were filled with books. There was a small fireplace with a caldron, and a stove. The table in the middle of the room was filled with various jars, and vials. She lifted one to examine it.

“Oh, not that one!” the young man shouted grabbing the vial just before she dropped it. “This is essence of dragon, very dangerous.” He said setting the vial carefully back in its place marked by the lack of dust. “So tell me what is your name?” 

“My name is Veda.” She said still slightly startled.

“Well hello Veda, I am Farnsworth, I am the keeper of the glade. I am a mage, I dabble in healing, and I have been entrusted to keep the prophecy.” He said holding out his hand.

“I’m not sure what this is about? Can I go home, my family might wonder where I have gone too.” Veda said looking around.

“Time is a bendable wave, no need to be concerned, for a day, a month, or even a year here is like the blink of an eye where you’re from. When you return you will be in the exact moment in which you left.” He explained snapping his fingers. “The prophecy has chosen you Veda, of, where are you from?” he asked.

“Trenton.” She responded automatically.

“Veda, of Trenton, whatever skills you have we are in dire need of. Our land has been plagued for many years. It has been prophesied to me that a woman would come to my door from another world. This coming would provide the knowledge we need to overcome the dark one. That’s the gist of it anyway. So, Veda of Trenton what knowledge do you bring?” he asked his elbows on the table and chin resting on his hands.

“Well I am not entirely sure that I have the knowledge you seek. I don’t have any special skills that is, I can garden, I play the piano, but not well, I was a teacher.” She said not sure if she should go on.

“Those are all interesting talents," he said feigning interest. "No matter, I am sure you are the one, and it will all be revealed, come let’s go look on the prophecy. I have it hidden away in the woods, it is a bit of a hike, but I am sure since coming here you’ve learned the ailments of your world no longer ail you. That is the beauty of this world, here we age much slower. Come let us go before night falls.” He said pushing her out the door, and slamming it shut behind him. 

February 23, 2020 07:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.