0 comments

Holiday

This was the first New Year that Sarah wanted to spend with her, in a cafeteria on the quay of Vardar where the two ships were built. They had music, dances and countless Christmas fireworks.

Sarah was only fifteen years old and began studying in the Gymnasium. It was a new city, bigger, more life than the peaceful little town we used to live in. And I was normally afraid. There are all kinds of people here. Drunken, drug addicts, thugs ... That's why I found it hard to let her alone, even to the main stop.

We left with Sarah from home. I decided to send her to the bus. It was a cold, December night, the last of this year. The snowflakes were falling like asterisks. .22h, two more hours had not separated since the New Year. The streets were half empty and the apartments in the buildings heard music and cheerful voices.

If not, I asked you Sarah. She just shook her head and looked at the cellphone exactly what the time was. She was in a hurry to get on the bus and she didn't care that the street was empty and the wind was shaking the branches and they were reaching out bare hands to us. I felt some discomfort in my heart. I had to go back on my own this time, after I had sent Sarah.

Suddenly, from the art school, a big dog came to us, a hood that looked me straight in the eye.

Uh, awesome and nice dog. A straight wolf from the wild. I'm afraid, Sara- I said.

She'll go, don't fret mom. We already got to the bus station. And Sarah was already thinking how much fun she was having and how nice it was.

But the dog kept running easy on us and occasionally turning his head to look at me. As if we had known each other for years. While we were at the station, the dog sat next to us and waited for Sarah to board the city bus. People at the station admired the wonderful dog and commented: How nice it is. What's your name? How long do you keep it?

When Sarah got on the bus and cheerfully waved my hand, the dog stood up, turned its tail and looked at me as if waiting for me to leave. It was already about 11am and there was only one hour left until midnight. It didn't take just an hour for New Year's Eve. And I turned around and hurried to get home. At home was Marjan, my ex-husband who took care of Sarah after moving here to study. I imagined what this fate was and how for me the New Year's Eve party became a banal affair. Long ago, while my parents were alive, they were one of the most precious days of the year for me. The Christmas tree was adorned with a variety of glossy ornaments and ribbons, the lights flashing in different colors. There were always lots of gifts, tableware, a champagne bottle for the midnight beat ... So much love and smiling faces...

Suddenly, brakes broke. I was frightened and stopped by a green car on the road beside me.

Hey, have you gone astray on New Year's Eve? Ooh..we need such a nice company. Come on in, we'll be lumping all together.. - the drunken voice of the car drooped and an arm across the open window grabbed me for the ankle.

No - I screamed frightened, and my legs were stuck in place as if they were lead. At that moment, the dog was suddenly thrown like an arrow. His thunder like a thunder echoed on a snowy, cold night. At the same moment I felt my hand pressing down, someone yawned, and then a heavy gas car flew down the boulevard. A warm muzzle licked my hand.

Then I noticed it was a bitch. It was from the Siberian Husky genus, but one eye was blue as blue as daylight and the other dark brown as dark night..

Who are you? And how she appeared on New Year's Eve as a good fairy. You have a blue eye like my father had and a dark eye like my mother's eyes. You seem to merge the two of them. My Guardian Angel to protect me on this New Year's Eve. I'll call you Christie. Because it has appeared now, for the New Year and before Christmas as a gift from God. You're my mom and dad in one. Christie slipped my hand. She looked at me with warm, loving eyes.

We kept going home, and the snow was getting stronger and everything was white. Sarah called on her cellphone that she had arrived. Even though it was cold from the snow, it was kind of nice and warm to me. It was as if I was in a movie or a story. I was walking through the snow, and Christie was not separated from me. From time to time he would raise his head towards me, look at me with his warm eyes and smother me with the muzzle of his hand. How to say: Don't worry, I'm always up to you.

We got home and Marjan came out to open the gate to the yard. When she saw Christie, she was surprised and thrilled.

What a wonderful dog this is! Whose is it? - and reaches for her hand to caress Christie and call her inside. But Christie remained like a strange stone in its place next to the gate. Not even the slice of bacon that he brought and threw away helped. Christie just smelled it and stayed in the same place again.

This dog doesn't listen to me and I don't need it - she said.

Christy's in - I said and waved my hand.

Christie came in and lay down on my feet. I patted her on the head and whispered: My sweetheart, it came out of nowhere on this New Year's Eve and it defended me as if we had known each other for years.

I went in to finish the cake with strawberry jam, and by now the clock was ticking at midnight. I took two sausages from the grill and took them to Christie. She looked at me warmly and lovingly, with her blue and dark eye. Again he slipped my hand and lowered his head in front of his paws.

Here's a friend - I told her and gave her the cobwebs - This was a wonderful, New Year's Eve.

The next day I had to leave, and Christie was gone. There was only a bunch of hairs from her fur where she lay.

For days I have been trying to find her through pets in Facebook. But the dog was not ours and there was no casket to name. One day in the group "My Pet" I saw Christie with a ribbon around her neck. She was hugged by a young girl who wrote that while driving a car she had not nearly trampled a dog wandering sadly down the boulevard. But it is now her name, Astra, and she will surely be very happy with her in Switzerland. And I called and told her that the dog was with me and that she was sad that she was not with me, but the girl never responded. Only Kristi's image remained, with both sad eyes, one blue and the other dark brown.

January 03, 2020 18:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.