0 comments

Suspense

‘How can we steal from a place like this? Can’t we just pay someone?’ Alice said.

The pair followed as the guide led the snaking procession through the factory floor. Young children and parents alike smiled or giggled as they saw candy extruders with stylized characters placed over their exterior. A group of children pointed in awe as a large pink unicorn shot a stream of rainbow coloured rope from its mouth onto a conveyor belt.

Toni slowed their pace, feigning an interest as some workers poured ingredients into a massive stainless-steel vessel. The other group members walked by, not really seeing them as they gazed at the next piece of machinery the tour guide pointed to.

‘If you worked a dead-end job like these guys, what would you do if a couple of college girls asked to buy the special midnight batch? We’d get roofied for sure’ Toni scoffed.

Alice looked away, she hated how Toni made her feel stupid sometimes. She didn’t need all that sass, a quick explanation would do. It was those little scenarios however, that made her snicker when she was alone. Now that she thought it through, it did sound like a dumb idea. The heat of that realisation rolled up the back of her neck and bloomed across her cheeks.

Toni grabbed her hand ‘Hey, listen. All we have to do is split off from the tour and hide. Once everyone leaves, we’ll have the place to ourselves.’

‘Do we really need this one? Aren’t there others we could get?’

Toni bounced merrily on the balls of her feet as she waved the list at her ‘Yeah but look at the points that thing is worth. We get that and a few random things on the way home and we’ll win this scavenger hunt’.

‘It’s worth so many points because we’ll get locked up’.

A mischievous grin flashed across Toni’s face ‘That’s on the list too, its win win!’.

‘I don’t know.. are you sure we won’t get caught?’

‘You heard the tour-dork, Hazel’s house of candy is a no-bot business that employs local mum & dads to process local ingredients. Everyone punches out at 4,’ Toni’s eyes crossed, her voice grating through octaves as she imitated the guide.

‘What if we get lost? This place is so big! I don’t want to be here when people show up for work.’

Toni gave her hand a reassuring squeeze ‘we’ll leave a trail of candy once everyone goes, a bright yellow path straight to the door. I bet this shit glows in the dark too!’. Her other hand snaked into Alice’s sample bucket, snagging a fistful of candy.  

‘Hey!’

‘Snooze you lose!’ Toni winked before munching down on the jelly filled candy. A dark red glob shot from Toni’s mouth, hitting Alice in the face like some spiteful seagull at the beach.

Alice froze, she couldn’t believe this. She pulled her hand from Toni’s but stopped half-way, started, then stopped again.

I don’t.. how do I? How could she do that? My make-up, my face.. Bitch! I need..

‘C’MON, LETS GET YOU TO A BATHROOM’.

Toni looked like a Cheshire Cat after a few lines of Columbian cream. She grabbed Alice’s hand again, leading them away from the tail-end of the group. Alice was about to kick up a stink when they walked right passed the nearest bathroom, then it hit her.

‘You bitch.. You did that on purpose?!’ Alice hissed.

‘It’s not my fault you’re a sugar fiend, close your mouth next time’.

‘Me?! Why don’t you go fu..’.

‘Here we are!’ Toni chirped.

As far as bathrooms go it was average, it might even creep up a few notches considering there were no visible smears anywhere and the place smelled of peppermint. They stood in front of the mirror, Toni preening at nothings whilst Alice tried to get the red goop off her face without dragging away half her foundation. It’d take a miracle not to look like a ravenous clown, but she learned from her first frantic makeup emergency; always carry your essentials.

Toni pulled out her phone and sat in a stall.

‘What are you doing, help me!’

‘I’m playing Shop Titans; you don’t need three hands for that’.

Alice rolled her eyes and started dabbing her face.

‘That dress looks nice on you, where’d you get it?’

Alice knew what she was up to, classic Toni move. The sad thing was it usually worked, just like those silly WWE shows. Everyone knows its fake, but you smile and clap along anyway.

‘The boutique next to Sullivan’s.’

‘Wow, I’ll have to go there soon.’

Chatter zipped from one topic to the next like a bird trapped in a closed room. Alice looked at the damage, she could still see it but a random wouldn’t unless they stopped for a chat.

‘So, what now? Goo removal took ages, but we still have some time before everyone leaves,’ Alice said.

Toni jerked her thumb at the neighbouring stall ‘Genshin Impact. Turn your sound off, leave the door open and sit cross-legged.’

‘You’re kidding?’

‘What? You’d rather share a tiny closet for the next couple of hours?’

*

The bathroom door opened once a few minutes ago, at least that’s what it felt like. Alice got so lost in video games that it warped her sense of time. The darkness outside her little nimbus said that it was more likely a few hours ago. Whoever opened the door didn’t stay long, they were probably making sure no little kiddies were sleeping off carb comas.

Alice leaned against one of the vanities, Toni was more lost in the game than she was ‘Hey, do you think we can get this batch started?’

‘Yeah, by the time we work out how to make this stuff work it’ll be close enough.’

‘Hmm good point, we should find the safety manuals or operators guides.’

‘Better than my idea,’ Toni placed one hand over her eyes and started stabbing wildly with the other.

‘How have you lived this long without me!?’

‘Let’s get moving, I’ve got an idea that’s sure to get us bonus points.’

‘Whatever, as long as it doesn’t take too long.’

‘What’s with you?’

‘Nothing, let’s just hurry, ok?’

‘Fine… I don’t understand how someone can be so snippy when they literally have a whole candy shop to themselves’.

Toni yanked on the door, a sharp crack echoed around them as the door struck the wall. She pulled more sampler candies from her pocket as she stomped from the room.

‘Wait, where are you going?’

‘God, make up your mind! You wanted to hurry, move your ass’.

‘Geez, what’s with you?’

‘Nothing, remember?’

Half formed shapes blurred across the factory floor, brought to life by little slices of day cast by their phones. They meandered along the path to the extruders and Alice felt her heart sink a little. It was like the foreman had switched off the joy when they shut the place down for the night. Once cheerful music was replaced by the glutinous squishing of candies as Toni popped a few more into her mouth.

‘These are really good, you should take advantage of all this free stuff,’ Toni said.

‘I just want to get out of here.’

‘Okay, what’s with this? You’ve never been afraid of a little late night mischief before.’

‘Haven’t you heard? All those missing students on the news, they think they’re all connected!’

‘Pfft, that’s like three states, you’re just freaking out.’

‘Then why would they say it on the news?’

‘Cause bad news sells! When’s the last time you heard about orphans winning the lottery?’

‘Can they even buy tickets?’

‘That’s not the point, they…’

‘Look I promised my mum I wouldn’t be out too late.’

Toni cheeks flushed ‘Oh, I didn’t realise. Sure, we’ll be quick, ok?’

Alice’s mother had been missing for years, she’d never given up hope though. Every night she’d talk to her. Asking how her day was and telling her about hers. Sometimes, even when Toni was in the room. She’d managed to avoid any ‘conversations’ but it was heartbreaking, everyone moved on with a mournful resignation but not Alice. Toni’s insides felt like she’d just drank off milk, and that’s how it always started. The flush on her cheeks lit a fire in her stomach.

How am I supposed to know what stupid phantom promises she’d made!?

One second Toni was fine, but the next… It scuttled across her chest, like a thousand spindly legs had pushed through her ribs and were stealing all her air.

What sort of friend thinks like that? Well what sort of friend holds you to promises to no-one!? But it’s her mother.. Think of something else. I need a task.

‘Hey, I know something that will put a smile back on your face,’ Toni said.

Alice brightened a little ‘Yeah, what’s that?’

‘Just start recording.’

Toni climbed onto the safety railing and pressed one hand on the extruder for balance whilst she unfastened the unicorn with the other. Alice snickered after the first unicorn was adjusted, but as Toni finished the last one she was giggling wildly. When the foreman flipped the switch in the morning rainbows would still shoot out of all the unicorns… just not from the usual end.

‘You’re so bad!’

‘Ha, just wait ‘til you see what I do to those uppity elves.’

‘Oh lord.’

‘Yeah yeah, I’m amazing. Did you record me flipping it all? that’s bonus points for sure.’

‘Yep, we can wa…’

‘Hey where’s your clutch?’

‘Damn it, I left it in the bathroom, back in a sec.’

*

Alice’s soft footsteps echoed heavily in the dark. It felt like she’d been walking forever, the light from her phone carved a valley in the darkness but the more she pressed on the smaller that valley felt. Her only relief were the guiding stars she spied in the distance. Twin discs of dull jade from the bathroom sign waxed and waned behind various machines just outside her light.

I wish Toni came with me.

Alice could see the logic in it though; Toni could find the manuals and get everything ready while she grabbed her stuff. The thought of getting this over with put a spring in her step, the sooner they had this batch of candies the better.

A hollow thud rolled off one of the machines just out of sight. Heart pounding Alice spun, waving her phone wildly trying to find what made the noise. Mad silhouettes writhed like a black tide, warping her surroundings.

I’m jumping at shadows.

She crept slowly around the next corner, something had to have made that noise. It was probably Toni playing another one of her jokes. They’d laugh about it later but right now she didn’t feel like laughing.

The darkness was pressing in, forcing her valley of light ever smaller. Another corner and what greeted her sent icy fingers racing up her neck. More emptiness. Alice was sure it was Toni, it had to be. That thought burned her cheeks.

‘Stop it Toni, this isn’t funny. You’ve got stuff to do!’

She’d wasted enough time on Toni’s nonsense. Once she grabbed her clutch, they could get back on track and put this silly scavenger hunt behind her. She slunk back along her path looking for those guide-lights, but they were gone.

Tell me that wasn’t the third right, I went left once... didn’t I?

She rounded another corner, machines loomed over her. Gazing up, she tried to see where they ended but the black was infinite.

Am I at the bottom of a well or the top?

Another five minutes and it felt like the bottom, the darkness lapping around her mouth, pushing up her nose and down her throat as she tried everything, anything to find a way out!

Where is that door?!

Her phone chimed part of the Sailor Moon theme. She hit open and there was Toni, arm outstretched, grinning madly as she poured a bottle of God-knows-what into a mixing vat. In the background twin jade discs lurked just out of sight.

Shit! I’ve been going the wrong way… wait, is that a silhouette?

She wiped her hands on her sleeves, hoping they’d stay dry. She couldn’t afford to drop her phone in this place, they’d find her curled up in a ball when they switched everything on in the morning. Forward, she had to keep moving. She’d either end up back with Toni, and after much ridicule get her help or she’d find a wall to walk along.

Dead black eyes watched her every move. During the tour she thought the rows of elves and other characters looked magical. Now they were like rows of Dahmers, edging closer. She could feel them in the dark, knew they were there even when the abyss swallowed them. Chills ran up her arms pressing her to quicken her pace.

Alice spilled from the causeway, the butterflies flipping in her stomach plummeted.

Where is this place?!

A beat-up old vending machine leant against the brick wall next to a door, its soft light barely touching it.

MAINTENANCE.

There’ll be a floor plan inside, plus operator’s manuals in case we’re missing any.

Alice trotted over; the door looked washed-out, almost black in this half-light. The room needed maintenance more than anything else. Tools and other junk were strewn across the floor as well as random bits of clothing. Her hand raced to her nose, but that smell was pervasive. Sweet as you’d expect but moist, almost bitter. She started searching for anything useful and then she saw them. Six large bins lined the back wall, crowned with the epitaph ‘LOST & FOUND’. Shirts, dresses, and other random pieces tumbled over their sides.

Who loses that much clothing in a candy factory?!

She looked away but then it struck her, that mirrored black C. A girl would lose her lunch over something like that, many had. Alice pushed away some junk to get a better look. Her eyes almost fell out of her head when she saw what was beneath. A matching skirt, like it walked off a runway. Her tuition fees were staring at her from a pile of stained flannel and mismatched socks. It was mind-boggling.

No-one loses stuff like that.

She dug further and struck gold again, Louis Vuitton. Handfuls of clothes flew to the floor as her frenzied search raced on. This had to be the best escapade Toni ever concocted. Halfway through the first bin and she’d already found several matching designer outfits.

No more two minute noodles.. I could sell some and live like a queen! I have to.. wait a sec..

She slowly swept her gaze across the strewn clothes. Now that she knew what to look for it was obvious. It had to be a coincidence though… but what were the odds? She dashed to the next bin, clothes sailed through the air, taunting her where they landed. She moved to the next and the next, but the same results sneered at her from the floor. They were all adult clothes, and it all matched.

This isn’t right! People don’t just strip off in candy factories!

Wide eyes shot over the various piles, desperate for answers but she was drawn to one in particular. She skipped through the mess and landed in front of the pile, shirts chased dresses in wild arcs.

‘It can’t be!’

The last outfit leered at her like an angry wound. She’d agonised for months over that top and skirt until the date was too close to get anything else. In the end Toni had loved it, she’d worn it out for drinks that same night.

How could this be?!

Alice bolted from the room, her broken promise gnashing at her heels as she pounded across the gangway. 

It’s just hype, like Toni said.

Her mind raced, there had to be an explanation. She’d find Toni back at the extruders and they’d both laugh about her silliness. She waved her phone, seeking anything to let her know she was on the right track, but any landmarks disappeared when Apple’s all-seeing eye raked another part of the nightscape.

The path arced to the left, revealing two discs of jade smouldering in the distance. An uneasy itch writhed between her shoulder blades then started to crawl across her back as if those things were tasting her.

Alice burst onto the extruder platforms; red splotches pulsed in her vision as she sucked down air. She whirled about, searching, hoping Toni would pop out from behind one of the machines but as each second passed her heart sank. She rounded a table and was overwhelmed by a spike of joy. A trail of candy shot off along a path and thankfully, away from those… Alice stumbled.

They were off to her right now, a soft tap, tap, tap accompanied them slowly getting louder. Machines blurred in the shadows as she sprinted along the trail, her eyes straining as her phone whipped back and forth across her path. She careened along the gangway until the candies finally led her to another door.

Alice crashed through it, coming to a halting stop, that bitter wet smell hung in the air. Her brows furrowed as she ran her hands through her hair. She jumped slightly as the door banged shut.

Why would Toni leave a trail to a printing room?

Stacks of A4 papers were piled high across various tables. She clipped one as she quickly searched for another exit, spilling paper everywhere. Her neck bristled, shooting thousands of spiders scuttling over her as she saw the various titles. Toni had held something similar, except these were for universities across multiple states. The same states the news reader mentioned.

The door banged shut again.

October 21, 2023 10:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.