DOUBLE JOB DOUBLE PAY

Written in response to: Write a story where fortune doesn’t favor the brave.... view prompt

0 comments

Western Fiction Fantasy

The lure of currency rate is a determining factor for many workers to leave their country to find a greener pasture to support their families. A doctor by profession landed at the airport in North America with all hopes and dreams to get a better pay and practice his specialization in heart surgery. With that in mind when he tried to send his application to the hospitals in the area he was wondering why no one is answering or accepting his application. One time he took a taxi instead of a public transportation to follow up his application and on the way the driver asked him where he came from. "you must be a professional like me" the driver said. " Look at me I;m an engineer and here I have to get this job to support myself and some money back home." "Why can't you practice your profession here? the doctor asked. "Look, you have to go back to school and upgrade your credentials, how could you do that with the minimum pay you will get when working and if ever you get another job your double wages cannot meet all your expenses as you build up your experience to get a raise or be promoted? Then the doctor began to realize his big mistake of coming to a foreign land imagining the big bucks he would make by using his profession. He is beginning to feel his frustration and the anger of losing his profession began to creep but to go back home was no longer an option. Losing face and embarrassment will be his predicament and what will his family say and do of all the expenses he has incurred to make his trip into this place to realize the American dream of prosperity and progress. How come many have made themselves on what he heard and what he saw in magazines and newspapers that those who came to try their luck were able to reached their goals and lived comfortably. Maybe they were here for that long or they were able to find a way to get over their dilemma. With that the doctor tried to find a job he thought would equal the earnings like the skilled trade receiving the same salary like the professionals. He has to face reality and he began to look if he could go to the automotive industry like assembling car parts but he did not tell all this things happening to his family back home. He also met teachers who were not able to practice their professions but landed as babysitters and took short courses to qualify as assistants at the daycare center. The doctor has to get to the taxi driving first and yes industrial cleaning too. This are skilled jobs to get more money. A single job can not meet all his expenses besides he must send money back home. A friend ask him if he wants to become an insurance agent and he declined thinking of all the paperwork and trainings he would undertake. Besides who would be his clients as his acquaintances is limited. His chance to enter the automotive industry came along after working in the double job wages. He met this guy in one of the joint party of friends in the driving industry who met a union employee working at the auto assembly plant of Chrysler. The doctor is now relieved thinking to leave the double job but to take the biggest opportunity that came across on his path. Back home they still didn't know or they may have known from others what he has gone through having not enough courage to tell them the truth, besides others who might have the same dream to try their luck will discontinue their pursuit. The doctor's hourly pay in the assembly plant not only doubled but tripled when he was assigned to a more delicate part of the car to assemble that involved calibration. He has now a better position to send more money back home and he must have to pay back what they owed before. At least he has now the capacity to get out of debt. He met another professional in the medical field who was a dentist and here they met each other at the assembly plant. The only difference was that the dentist was able to get this job as soon as he arrived in the country without the experience of doing double jobs. At the assembly plant most employees are immigrants. Maybe the higher and highest positions are held by the native Americans. America is operating many industries like metal, manufacturing and factories. That's why many nationalities have come to discover, explore what America can do to all kinds of people being an open country to accept many nationalities to settle and make America their homeland. Farm workers has a big share in the food industry but some work on seasonal basis with a year contract to plant, and harvest vegetables and picking fruits in season. The wine industry is concentrated in the sprawling valley of Napa California and you could imagine foreign workers as pickers to fill the need of distilling grape wine for export. The same with the dairy industry where workers feed the flocks of dairy cows in enclosures to milk them. You may also find foreign workers here to help in their production. Many industries has to be filled with workers but did all who went to America fulfilled their dreams or not we may say is true to all or not? The current situation is falling short to that notion especially when Covid 19 struck the whole world where most industries have been affected. The airline industry came into a halt even until now as restrictions to travel took place. Immigration of people to America may have been affected too because of these restrictions. What future awaits to migrants in this trying times is uncertain. As the war in Russia is brewing everything it seems will be affected with the moving and placing of workers around the world. And America who is mostly the destination of the big dreamers to share and taste its bounty =remains to be seen because of Covid 19 and the war broke in Ukraine. When will the world go back to the pre-Covid economy when people has no restrictions to travel and Russia stop invading its own people, will their be peace or the war spreads? To every worker whose dream is to change his lifestyle and pursue a better life in a foreign country is bravery, to build a fortune or vice versa is unforseeable.and unpredictable.. No one can hold the future but wait what is going to unfold. Government authorities have to make their decisions precisely in accordance to the present needs and possibly stop the spread of the virus and to start peace negotiations with Russia.

February 27, 2022 01:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.