The Cardinal's Task by Jaylynn Strong

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story told entirely through one chase scene.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Almost there. I thought. This castle isn't infinite, right? As Ben and I ran down the seemingly endless corridor, I could tell he was getting tired. He took a few deep, raspy breaths as if he was trying to breathe through a straw. "Are...we almost...at the exit?" He said, panting. "I don't...I don't think we'll...ever find a way out."

"We'll be out of here." I assured him. "I promise."

I can't imagine breaking my promise. I don't break promises. Never have and never will because I knew the end result, someone gets mad and they lose their trust in me.

Also, I made a promise to Mr. C that I'll find Ben Russell, sneak away from his captors (which backfired a moment ago, in case you didn't see that happen, I'm sorry) and then leave the castle which Ben was held in. As we ran, I thought for a second. Even if I moved to Paris, learned to speak french fluently and learn about the architecture, I've never been to a castle before. Which made me feel idiotic.

A man spoke in french angrily. Translation: "The girl is getting away! Stop wasting time!"

"They're coming." Ben said, gripping my hand tightly. "I can hear footsteps."

I heard them too. Not only that, I was getting tired. My chest was a volcano erupting and the lava hadn't cooled off yet. The pain was unbearable. I was sweating and my hair was sticking to me. It didn't help that I was wearing a mask that covered top half of my face and nose. The mask was sticking to me like liquid glue.

But it was my disguise. I couldn't take it off. I couldn't tell Ben who I was.

Actually, he should know who I am. I'm Cardinal. I'm...well not exactly a superhero because I didn't have super strength, heat vision etc. But did Ben think of me as one? I risked my life to come here after all.

Come here willingly.

"You never told me you're name." He said. "What's your...?"

"I can't tell you my real name." I said, "Just call me Cardinal..."

I yanked his arm and we turned to another hallway, this one leading to a door. Over our heads was a chandelier, the lights twinkled like stars. I stopped in my tracks and pulled out my hook. I wrapped the string around my hand to make it not too long.

"What are you doing?!" Ben exclaimed. "We're right at the door! Come on!"

He looked at my hook in surprise. "Is that...yarn?"

"Not just any yarn." I replied. "This yarn was made by a craftsman who used the inspiration of a golden weaver spider to make this. This yarn is strong enough to pull down that," I said, pointing up at the chandelier. "And block your captors path."

I threw the hook in the air and tugged it to make sure it didn't fall back down. Perfect. "Come here." I said. Ben walked up to me. "Pull this." I said as the angry voices grew louder, the heavy footsteps echoed off the walls. He nodded and pulled the golden string.

The chandelier fell down and it shattered on impact. The captors had came. But we were already out the door. They shouted angrily and said nasty, threatening words, don't expect me to translate that.

I couldn't tell if they were angry at us for escaping or taking their anger out on the broken chandelier. The moon was full. Ben and I didn't stop running.

"Thank you." Ben replied. "If you didn't come in time, who knows what they would've done to me in that cell."

"Your welcome." I said, not really listening and more focused on running.

Just because Ben's dad is a millionaire, that didn't mean they had to capture him. I thought. Oh well, he'll be home free soon.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps. They were unusually close. But I also heard a growl. A dog, more than one too. I doubt they were chihuahuas. "Come on!" I shouted. "Keep running!"

Tree branches scraped my legs. One branch hit my eye. I blinked to try and get whatever was in my eye. Mud caked our shoes and I nearly slipped, it must've rained recently.

Ben and I halted at a cliff with churning water lapping the sharp rocks below. It was a long way down. Not too long though. I could make the jump, if I just aim right and don't hit the rocks...

"You can swim right?" I asked Ben. He kept staring at the water. His hands were shaking. Surely his dad, being a millionaire who could pay for anything would give his son swimming lessons.

"I can't swim." He said. "There's no way I'm going to jump off this cliff."

The dogs were getting closer and one of the men were shouting commands. I ignored it. "Ben," I said calmly. "If we don't jump, you'll go back to your cell, those jerks will take you to who knows where and you'll never see you're family again. Ever."

Surprisingly, Ben looked like he wanted to disappear. "I can't..." he muttered. "I'll drown. I won't make it, especially with those rocks."

"Yes you will." I said. "Just tell yourself that you're going to be okay. I'll make sure you won't drown."

Ben gulped. The men and dogs were so close that it was as if they were just inches away from us. "I'll do it." He said so quietly I barely heard. His breaths were shaky, even if it was dark, I knew he was afraid. "Please, don't let me drown, please."

I nodded. "I promise you'll be okay."

"We'll jump on three." I said. "One...two..."

I jumped, knowing he would hesitate if I said three. He screamed on the way down. I leaned to the side as if I was skydiving, trying to find the right spot to land without hitting the rocks.

Splash! I landed feet first into the water. I opened my eyes. They stung instantly but I didn't care. Where's Ben? I thought as I frantically looked for him.

Finally, I saw him. But he wasn't moving and was sinking fast. Did he hit a rock on the way down? I swam towards him and grabbed his arm. He was heavy. Don't panic, I thought. Panic doesn't help. But I guess I panicked anyway because while I struggled to pull Ben, I accidentally took a gulp of water. Then another out of frustration and fear.

Then again. It was instinctive. My lungs burned. I needed air!

What about my promise?! What was I thinking?

My eyesight grew blurry. Ben was unconscious and I really needed air now. At last, I calmed down and kicked my legs. I'll be fine. I told myself, over and over again.

I didn't know how far down we went. But no matter how hard I swam, I couldn't see the surface. Or the moonlight for that matter.

I was about to accept defeat. Just let myself sink, take in water. I broke my promise to Ben...poor Ben...

But I sucked in air instead. I coughed and sputtered. I did it! Somehow, a part of me didn't give up. Despite being exhausted, I swam to shore.

I dragged Ben on the sand/grass and took in deep breaths. Boy, did I miss solid ground. I shook Ben until he slowly opened his eyes and groaned as if I woke him from a nap. He coughed up water and looked around, then at me. "We made it." He said, in shock. "I can't believe it."

"Yeah, we made it." I said. "You almost drowned though. I kinda almost did too."

"It doesn't matter. You saved me. You didn't break your promise." He said and tried to get up.

"Careful." I said. "Don't move too much. You have a bump on your head. There's a scar and it's bleeding."

I ripped a piece of my sleeve and wrapped it around his head. "It's temporary. But good enough. Let's rest here a little."

Ben hugged me, "Thank you." He whispered. Honestly, I needed a hug after everything that happened. It was comforting.

July 12, 2020 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.