THOMAS THE MYSTERY MAN

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

0 comments

African American Science Fiction

The man worked if one could call it work, as a sidewalk vendor. That was not unusual for the strip between Nostrand Avenue and Verona Place in Brooklyn. His stall was part of many along the road. What rendered this stall and man odd was only three or four people eventually saw him. When those who did mention the stall, people scratched and shook their heads. Some commented, “What man or you must mean another street.” No three people were not hallucinating, nor did they have a substance abuse problem. One was a highly respected attorney, Lauren McCutcheon, another a dedicated officer of the law, Riana Moore, the third Moore’s most efficient majordomo, Karen Colt, and last Moore’s son Jonathan.

    The man, Thomas Matthieu, Haitian by heritage and Louisianan by birth strutted around like Mardi Gras happened every day. One might say from his dress and smile for him it did. He wore clothing of large iridescent patches with a mix of smashing colors green, bright orange, and blood-red along and a black silk top hat. His deep, rumbling laugh reminded one of Geoffrey Holder’s in Live and Let Die. The voice a welcome light from his heritage. It contained a lilt and always a hint of mystery. Where he came from no one knew.

    Just before dawn on an empty street, a woman had her first encounter with Thomas. He startled her with a non-verbal, “Hello, ma soeur (my sister), I am Thomas Matthieu.

The rhythmic lilt in his voice caused her to stop and respond.

    “Hello, mon frere (brother), Riana Moore.”

They conversed silently about everything and nothing. When she took off her ever-present aviators, he looked into her gray eyes and said, “You are troubled.”

She tried to wave him off.

    “Look Riana,” he said. “you radiate unease.”

    “How do you know? Got connections to another dimension, have you?”

He didn’t answer but began rooting around in his never-empty treasure trove of oddities. Things flew out the specially made six-foot trunk. Cajun curses erupted from his mouth along with the comment, “I know it’s here somewhere.”

   “Hey Thomas, whatever it is I can get it another time.”

   “No, you need this.”

To tamp down her impatience, Moore called over a street person and sent him for Mauby and patties from an all-night West Indian restaurant. She dropped into one of his rickety folding chairs to wait for the food and Thomas’ seemingly fruitless search.

    Finally, he said, “Ahh, here it is.”

Moore sighed and reached for it.

   “Impatience serves no one,” he said and lit sage incense to cleanse the still hidden article.

Thomas danced around the tight space, humming an old spiritual. His voice mesmerizing. He held the object away from her prying eyes. The food arrived and she munched on a spicy pattie. She set his on a red and black lacquered dollhouse-like table. Thomas turned in time to see her sneer after taking a sip of Mauby.

    He laughed. “Why order it? You know it has too much sugar for your taste.”

    Her mouth fell open. It was true but…. “How do you know my tastes?”

    “My sister, I know a lot about you,” he said and handed her a coral and amethyst necklace on a burnished gold chain and saw her eyes light up. “My Cajun aunt Louisa told me it has special powers. One is to see through the mist of life.”

    “Wow. It’s beautiful.”

She put it on and immediately energy pulsed through her system.

    “Wear it and it will protect you. You’ll see some things to ponder and others bright as sunlight. I perceive you as a warrior who’ll do some great things.”

    She laughed. “I am a homicide detective. What great things can I do?”

    “Ma soeur, life presents many twists and turns, and one never knows what direction lives will take, however you’re destined for greatness.”

    “Do you have a pipeline to the spirit world?”

    “No, just a sensitivity to people.”

    “In past societies, Thomas, you’d be called a witch or the devil and put to death.”

    He waved his arms, “There is much in the universe people don’t understand. They discount the paranormal because scientifically they can’t explain it. In you, I see something the world doesn’t know.”

    If only you knew the truth about me. “I am only one person trying to do the best job I can.”

    He laughed. “Keeping your truth close to the vest. Good. The world in time will know your true power.”

She rose to leave but he grabbed her arm.

    “Stay a little longer. I don’t get to speak to many people. They pass me by without seeing or hearing me.”

    “Like Ralph Ellison, a modern-day invisible man. Intriguing. Maybe they’re not ready to delve into a nebulous world.”

    He nodded. “And you are, why?”

    “My history is complicated and any help I can glean to navigate this world I’ll take.”

    He rose. “Let’s take a walk. I want to show you something only one with your vision can appreciate.”

They walked to Bedford-Stuyvesant’s Von King park. He led her to a bench. The clearness of the night and the lack of too much ambient light allowed Thomas to point to the stars.

    “Out there is a world waiting for you.”

    “Why? I have no wish for space travel.”

    “At this time no, but a time will come when escape becomes necessary.”

    “Can you tell me more?”

    “No. It’s hazy. You have much to accomplish and remember. All will help you grow.”

Thomas danced in the dark park, while Moore mulled this over. His smile was eye-blinding white in the moonlight. What did he know and wasn’t telling me? Do I believe him?

    He sat and took her hands. “You’re wondering if you should believe me and how it will happen.”

    “You read minds too?”

    “Riana Moore, you’re a special woman. You have an innate intelligence so yes I believe you’d ask yourself such a question. Over time you’ll come to realize we have met for a reason.”

Moore watched Thomas’ eyes as he danced again. His bright iridescent colored attire glowed in the moonlight and bathed her in the reflected light. It pierced the sky and she saw an amethyst crystal mountain. She scratched her head wondering about it and her mysterious companion. He winked at her but said nothing. Thomas pulled her up to dance and she saw her feet dancing in air.

    He kissed her cheek and said, “Go home. I can’t tell you more. Time will reveal all.”

She bowed and thanked him and walked away. When she turned back to get a last glimpse of the mystifying person, the man and the light were gone.

July 16, 2021 14:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.