0 comments

General

“Rumor Has It”

Mark was only a few steps inside the café when a sturdily built woman with a black apron wrapped around her ample hips walked up to him. “Mornin’, hon, you can sit anywhere you’d like.”

“I’m meeting someone here”, he replied, just as a man in a Stetson hat, waving his arm, caught his eye. “I think that’s him there in the first booth.” He walked toward the man and asked, “John?”

“That’s me.” The man smiled and stood up, extending his hand. “John Meecum, and Mark, I recognize you from your picture in your weekly column.” What You Should Know” by Mark Driscoll is on my regular reading list.”

They shook hands and sat down. “Gee, I’ve only been with the paper for six months and you’re the first person who’s recognized me. Does that make me a celebrity?” He laid his laptop case on the booth seat.

Before they could settle into their seats the woman in the apron came over and stood by the table. The red plastic nametag on her blouse told them her name was Dorie.

“Can I get you boys some coffee to start?”

John answered, “Sure, mine’s decaf and black.”

Mark added, “Mine’s regular.”

Dorie nodded and sighed. “Two men, two pots…okay.” She walked away shaking her head.

John watched her for a moment then said, “I get the impression she thinks we’re overworking her.”

While Mark opened his bag and pulled out a few things he said, “I appreciate your meeting me here this morning, John, especially because it’s not exactly on the beaten path. And if you have no objection I’d like to record this.”

John waited while Mark laid a small recorder on the table and turned it on, then replied, “Oh, I’m glad to do it. From what you told me on the phone it sounds like you’re working on an interesting story.”

“Well, I hope it will be, and having a local historian like you help me fill in some background stuff really helps.”

Mark unfolded a small map and laid it on the table between them.. The title block read PLANNED ELK CREEK ESTATES. Before he could begin his presentation to John, Dorie returned carrying a tray. She set the two coffee pots on the table then cups in front of each of them. “You boys hungry this mornin’?”

Mark looked at John and seemed to read his mind. “We’ll need a few minutes to look at the menu first, if you wouldn’t mind coming back in a little while.”

Again she sighed. “Sure, no rush.” As she turned to leave she looked down at the map and saw the title. “Oh, that’s the big, new housin’ project up on Elk Creek Road. I hear it’s gonna’ be really first class.”

Even though the project wasn’t a secret Mark didn’t want a lot of people to know he was working on an article about the developer. “Yep, that’s the one.” He reached for his pot of coffee and filled his cup, his arms and hands purposely blocking her view of the map. She looked at both men and walked away.

John was smiling. “I hope you didn’t think Elk Creek Estates was a big secret around here.”

“No, but my article is going to be more about Compass Development than the houses and details. They have sort of a reputation and it’s not a good one. They’re like the Walmart of developers. They come into a town, bring their own people to do the work and screw over the locals.”

“John chuckled. “I like your Walmart analogy.” He pulled the map toward himself and said, “So tell me what you have here.”

“It’s a topographical map of the project. The lines that are closer together are the hills and elevation changes on the site. The flat area here in the center is where a trailer park is located now. What can you tell me about that?”

“There’s not much to tell. It’s been there since way back in the late 1950s. The land was part of the Jacobsen ranch and when Lars Jacobsen got himself into a little jam with a local girl he needed to buy his way out. He sold that parcel to a trailer park developer. It happened very quickly and quietly and the trailers were in place in a matter of a few months.”

Mark was glad that John was a source for his article. The local color he could provide would humanize the story. “I dug through some filings at the courthouse but didn’t find anything about this particular parcel of land, nothing unusual.”

“That’s how Jacobsen operated; quietly, minimal or no paperwork and cash only. You’re new to this town. Casper is cowboy country and things get done differently here”. He turned and nodded. “See those two old boys over at the far corner table?

Mark looked at the two grizzled men in jeans and cowboy hats. “Yeah, they look like they’ve spent their lives on horseback.”

John smiled. “Well, they might look rustic but don’t underestimate them. If you ever do business with them they’ll probably take you to school.”

Mark laughed, thinking again how much of a journey he’d made from Los Angeles to Casper. “Well, there’s something I found out, or I should say, something I heard. At the courthouse the clerk helping me in the file room told me there was a rumor that the trailer park was sitting on an old Indian burial ground. Apparently it was never investigated.”

“I’ve heard that rumor too but nobody really knows for sure, at least not yet. The park went in years before the American Indian Movement came into being so there was no real activism like there is today. A few local Northern Cheyenne leaders tried to look into it but there was no organized effort. “

“So there was no burial ground?”

“That wasn’t determined. But the developer had a bizarre argument for why it shouldn’t matter either way. He said the park would only have one trench from the road for water and electrical lines. And since the trailers had no basements and were just set on concrete slabs there would be no disturbing of anything underground.”

Mark shook his head in disbelief. “And the city council bought that line of shit?”

“Yep, the tribe didn’t have its act together. They had some meetings but nothing ever got done and eventually the whole investigation was abandoned. Like I said, this is cowboy country and the cowboys always beat the Indians. But, saying that, things might change.”

“What do you mean?”

John leaned forward, his eyes glancing around the dining room. “I mean when Compass first announced this luxury project, most people thought it was a good thing. A trailer park eyesore would go away and be replaced with new, modern housing. It sounded like a win-win for everyone, for everyone except the Northern Cheyenne.”

“So is the tribe going to try and block this one?”

“Yep, with everything they’ve got. A few days ago I got a call from Daniel Littlewolf himself, the President of the Northern Cheyenne Nation. He asked me to help them get some historic background on the area, and I’ve asked the State Historic Office to look at it too. The governing body of the tribe is the Council of 44 and they have a whole lot of clout at the capitol. I have a feeling this is going to become a lot more than a rumor.” He paused, smiled and added, “And I think the Indians are finally going to beat the cowboys.”

Marked grinned and asked, “Will it stop the project?

“At the very least it could delay it by as much as a year, but, depending on what they find, Compass might end up with a bunch of big houses wrapped around a graveyard.”

They were interrupted by Dorie. “Ready for some breakfast?”

Mark looked at John and shook his head and said, “No, I think I’ll just stay with coffee today.”

Her frown didn’t surprise Mark and he replied, “Me too, Dorie, just coffee.”

She took both pots and refilled their cups. “Excuse me, don’t mean to pry but is that Indian burial ground rumor still goin’ around?”

Mark found her meddling both humorous and irritating. “Well, I’m new around here and I was just curious.”

Before she turned to leave she said, “I haven’t heard any talk about that in years.” They watched her walk across the room to the two cowboys at the front, corner table. “Bud, Howie, you boys doin’ okay here? Need anythin’ else?”

The men had been deep in conversation and weren’t happy about her interruption. The tall, gray-haired man in the corner chair answered firmly, “No, Dorie, I think we’re okay, maybe some more coffee in a little while.” He waited for her to leave and then turned to his friend. “So, Bud, let me get this straight. From what you’re tellin’ me we’ve only got two more signatures to go and then we can call Compass. Who’s left on the list?”

“Howie, you can probably guess. It’s the same two that are always a pain in the ass; Sam Grover and Don Becker.”

“Jesus H Christ, what’s their problem? We stand to make a killin’ when we sell our places but Compass made it clear that it’s gotta be all of us or none of us.”

“Well, we’re close. I think when we tell those two guys that twenty three of us want to sell and they’re  the only ones sayin’ no, the pressure will get to em’.”

“Did you tell em’ what deep pockets Compass has? They’ll try to bargain with us but if we do this right we can really jack em’ up. Some of us are gettin’ ready to retire and all that money will make a sweet little nest egg.

Bud leaned forward and lowered his voice. “Howie, I know what you mean. Our trailers are old and rusted and most of them are like mine, they have a leaky roof and leaky windows. When I went around knockin’ on doors I convinced everyone, at least everyone but Sam and Don, that we can get two or three times what the trailers are worth. I also told them if we don’t close a deal with Compass soon there won’t be anyone else linin’ up to buy their crappy, old mobile homes.”

“What do you think it’ll take to really convince em’?”

“I don’t know. I think maybe if we got Sam out for a few drinks he’d come around. He’s only on the fence because Mary is attached to the place. It was their first home and where they raised their two brats, but money talks and I think Sam can get her to listen.”

“And Don, what’s his problem?”

“Oh, you know how he gets. He likes to think he’s in charge, the big man of Apple Grove Mobile Park. If it’s not his idea then it’s automatically wrong.

Once again Dorie suddenly appeared at their table and started to refill their coffee. She looked at them both and said, “Guys, I’m not pryin’ or bein’ nosy but did I hear you say the trailer park is sellin’ out?”

Bud rolled his eyes and sighed. “Dorie, we’re just talkin’ here, kind of throwin’ out ideas.” He hoped she wouldn’t show any more interest. She did.

“Like I said, I’m not bein’ nosy. It’s just that those two guys over there in the front corner are talkin’ about the trailer park too and I thought it was kind of a coincidence.”

Both men turned and looked over at Mark and John. Bud turned back to Howie. “Recognize em’?”

“Nope, never saw either of em’ in here before.” They looked at Dorie and she quietly said, “Well, they have a funny lookin’ map with them. It’s the new development, the one with the really big houses, and the one guy said the trailer park was smack in the middle of it.”

Howie looked at Mark and John again then back at Dorie. “Do us a favor, let us know if you hear them say anything else, okay?” Dorie nodded and walked away.

Howie looked around and said, “I wonder what that’s all about. Okay, so assumin’ we get Sam on board, Don’s the only thing standin’ in the way of makin’ a deal with Compass, am I right?”

“Yep, we get Don to sign on and we’re golden. Compass says when we’re all on board they’ll start writin’ checks. Better start thinkin’ about what you’re gonna do with all that money.”

Dorie was back in the kitchen when the two well dressed men walked in. They stood looking around at the four other customers and the four other customers looked right back. The men weren’t sure if they should wait or find a seat. Dorie spotted them and called out as she approached them, “Mornin’ ,boys. You can sit anywhere you’d like.” She walked over to the waitress station, grabbed a pot of coffee and two menus then followed the men to a booth in the far, back corner. “Geez,” she muttered, “I’m walkin’ some miles this mornin’.”

The men sat in silence while Dorie filled their cups. When she asked them if they wanted to see menus they both said, “Okay.” She hovered beside their table for a moment and finally said, “I don’t mean to be nosy but you boys don’t look like you’re from around here.” She waited for a reply.

The man in the left seat looked up from his menu long enough to reply, “We’re not,” then went back to his reading. That was all he said and Dorie took it as a sign they weren’t looking for conversation. When she walked away the same man said to his friend, “See, Chad, I told you when you asked to come along, this place would be full of local color.”

Chad laughed and looked around to make sure no one was within earshot. “That run down old trailer park was a real sight and this place is just as classy. Our project will really help get this town out of its own way.”

“Yeah, I can’t understand how anyone can live in a place like this. Nothing to do and nowhere to go. Not enough girls and too many trees.”

“Mitch, face it, you’re the quintessential city boy.”

“Yeah, I need my nightlife and my Beemer, not a pick-up truck. I wonder what they do for fun around here.”

“Next trip back how about we check out the downtown?”

“Yeah, that should take about fifteen minutes.”

They looked over their menus and Mitch waved to catch Dorie’s attention. When she reached the table he asked, “Can I get an egg white omelet?”

Dorie seemed surprised. “You mean with just the whites? What about the yolks?”

Mitch sighed. “I want an omelet without the yolks.”

“Well then, how is that an omelet?”

He looked over at Chad who was trying to hold back a grin. “Never mind, just give us a few more minutes.”

When they saw that Dorie was busily engaged at refilling the napkin holders on other tables they felt comfortable restarting their conversation. Mitch said, “Man, I hope we won’t have to make too many more trips to this place.”

“Chad nodded in agreement. “I don’t think we’ll have to. I got a call from some guy from the trailer park on Tuesday and he said they only needed two more signatures and then they could sign off on the property. I got the impression those people think we’re going to pay a fortune for those rusty old boxes. He gave me his number and I told him I’d call him while we’re here.”

“Good. Unless those damn trailers are gone we won’t have a community park and playground and without those we won’t have a project.”

“And without the project you and I might be looking for new jobs.”

Neither man had done more than glance at their menus and when Dorie returned she impatiently waited while they did a quick scan of their choices. They both figured it was pointless to ask for anything that wasn’t clearly listed on the menu so they both ordered the House Special.

They talked about the project for a while longer and stopped when Dorie arrived with their orders and more coffee. They sat in silence as she set the plates down.

She looked at them and asked, “Anythin’ else I can get you boys?”

Chad answered, “No, we’re fine, thank you.” He looked up and was curious when she just stood there. “Is there something else?” he asked.

Dorie hesitated for a moment and then said with a heavy sigh, “Boys, I don’t mean to pry but I heard you talkin’ about the trailer park and it’s just so strange.”

“What’s so strange?”

She turned and nodded toward Mark and John. “See those two boys right there? Well, ever since they first sat down they’ve been talkin’ about the trailer park just like you boys were. And those two old boys there in the corner, they’ve been here for an hour and all they’ve been talkin’ about is that trailer park.” She turned back to Mitch and Chad. “That’s what’s strange. The six of you are the only people in the whole place and you’re all talkin’ about the same trailer park.”

Mitch and Chad looked at Mark and John, who were looking back at them. Then they looked over at Bud and Howie who were also looking back at them. Then they saw Mark and John looking at Bud and Howie. Mitch looked nervous when he asked, “Did you hear them talking about anything else?”

Dorie casually started refilling Chad’s cup and answered, “No, not much, just that there’s an old Indian burial ground under the trailers.”

August 19, 2020 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.