0 comments

Romance

I couldn't stop thinking about her. Not even for a moment. Her gorgeous fiery red hair, adorable speckled cheeks, and breathtaking two colored eyes wouldn't erase from my mind. I had to get something for her. I couldn't let this year pass without giving her something to tell her I cared.

"Austin, stop pacing the floor, what's going on?" Mom said, tapping her foot.

"Mom, it's nothing. It's something I can deal with on my own." I said.

"You look tense. What's on your mind, hon?" She said, taking me by the shoulders and walking me to the couch. We sat down.

"Uh..." I said, my cheeks flushing a deep red.

"What is it? School? Test? Cute girl?" I felt my entire face heat up.

"Well, you see, yes. There is this girl at school-"

"Oh! Tell me about her!" Mom said. She looked up at me with a bug smile. I sighed.

"Well, uh, she's way younger than me. A freshman to be exact," mom's jaw dropped.

"What?! Austin! You're a JUNIOR! She's too young for you!"

"Is that bad?! You're like, four years younger than Dad, aren't you?!"

"Austin, enough. This is a high school teenager we are talking about! How do you even know she likes you back?!"

"She looks at me differently than other girls! Her face flushes red whenever she sees Me! She can never think straight while talking to Me! I say that's something!" I said. "I just want to get her something before I leave, and I need your help!" Mom was about to spit something else in return, but She stopped.

"Oh," she said.

"Mom, you're the best at picking out gifts, and I need some ideas!" Mom smirked.

"I think I know just the thing that EVERY girl would love!" She said.

"What?" I said. Mom twirled her car keys around her index finger.

"Come on, I'll shoe you"

WWe got in her car, and she drove me to a jewelry shop down the street.

"Mom, I don't have money for all of this! Look at the prices of these!" I said, my eyes hurting from all the zeros that stretched across the price tags.

"You're I'm the wrong section," mom said. "Come with me. Let's get her something a little more...personal"

"Just what I was going for!" I said.

MMom led me to the corner, where a lady was standing behind a counter. Beautiful heart lockets with initials were hanging by glossy chains on hooks on the walls.

"Welcome to Nancy's Bead and Chain! You looking for a special locket for a special someone?"

"Yeah, actually!" I said. "Whatkind of lockets do you do?"

Initials, ship names, you name it!" She said. At first I was thinking of putting a ship name on it, but that would be super weird, so I decided to do her initials.

"Perfect!" The last said. "Who's the special lady?"

"Her names Madison. Madison Gray." I said.

"Beautiful!" The last said. "WHAT color would you like?"

"Gold," I said.

"And shape?"

"A heart would be perfect."

"Wonderful! Ill be back with your locket in a jiffy!"

Mom and I waited in the comfy chairs near the counter while Maddy' s initials got stamped onto the locket. My mind still lingered back to her cute face. I was so lucky to have her as a friend.

AAlrighty! Here you go!" The lady said a few minutes later. I looked up and saw her holding a black velvet box.

"Thank you so mucj!" I said. "How much does it cost?"

"Fourth five dollars please." She said.

I cringed at the price, but at least it was twenty times cheaper than the diamond necklaces and rings in the previous section I was looking at.

I opened the box. My jaw dropped. It was beautiful. The locket was freshly polished, and gleaned like the summer sun. Maddys initials, M.G were perfectly centered in the middle of the golden heart.

"Wow! That is GORGEOUS!" Mom said. "If she doesn't like this, then something is up with her!"

"She's gonna love it, Mom," I said. "I know she will."


December 11, 2019 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.