They Can't Have Him

Submitted into Contest #9 in response to: Write a story that focuses on the relationship between siblings.... view prompt

1 comment

General

We have been together ever since his birth, held each other through the hardest times, held on when our parents let go. Now they want to split us up, to take him, to break me. They don’t know how hard it’s been, they don’t know the truth. They don’t know the hopelessness. The only thing we had was each other, for survival, for life. They don’t know the way we held each other through the night. I was his comfort and he was mine. Hoping, praying for survival. Cold and shivering in the dark. They don’t know the love between us, they want to take him. They can’t have him. He is mine and I am his. Forever. Because that’s what siblings are. We help each other, hold on to each other, comfort and protect each other. We stay together through it all. Our bond unshakable, depth unreachable. They don’t know how hard it’s been, to stay together, not give up. Not lose hope in face of danger. Protect him though it could cost all. Now they want to take him break our bond, sever our ties. Take away what kept us going, through those nights, through those fights. They want to send him away, to strangers who don’t know him, don’t know his deepest secrets, his greatest dreams and aspirations. They don’t know him, only want him. They don’t know how to comfort him through a night of sleepless terror. They don’t know the words to say, the songs to sing, to send him back to his safe haven, that cradle of dreams. They only want him, see his youth, his innocence. Those blue eyes shining like sapphires, innocent and full of life. They only want him, not me, not anymore. They see my eyes, like his, but not. Blue like the ocean depths, but haunted. They can see that my eyes have seen to much, know to much. But I would gladly see it all again to shield him, keep him innocent, don’t let his eyes become like mine. Others here have eyes like mine, deep and sad and untrusting. They are young, some even younger than him, with no one to protect them. I want to save them, help them, know them, but I must keep my brother safe. Safe and protected, comforted and shielded within my arms, from the world that wants to steal him. They want to take him from me, they can’t have him. He is mine and I will not let go. They say, give him to us, he will be safe, we will help him, find him a family. He has a family, don’t they see. I am his family and I am here. I never left him. I never threw him to the side. I never hurt him or made him run away. I am here don’t they see, or don’t they count me as family. No, they want him to have a real family. As if I were just a fake, a stand-in, a placeholder. They want to take him. They can’t have him. I will cling to him and not let go. I will not trust these people, with their prying questions and too kind smiles. They want to take him away from me, split us up, break our family. They want to send him away to strangers who want him. They want him, but not me. I’m too old they say, I will be a nuisance. But they want him, with his wide smile and still-bright eyes. They want to take him. They will act as if they love him, coddle him and hug him, but one day they will throw him aside, just as everyone has to us. What then? He will need me, but I won’t be there. They took him from me. No, I will hold on to him. No one will take him away. He will stay here, with me, safe under the shadow of my wings. When he looks at me with those sweet eyes and takes my hand in his. My stone heart melts into a puddle. That is what love is. Love protects, and holds, and guides. I love him with all my heart. I don’t see how our parents didn’t, how they threw him to the side. How could they abandon him, and me with him, beside? How could they look into those blue eyes swamped with tears and think, he is not mine? But they did, they threw us out into the streets with no one to protect us. So, I took up the mantle, protector and sister, guardian and shield. Now they want to take him, they can’t have him, we’ll run away again. But how can I do that to him? Force him back to those cold, dirty streets and expect him to live? I know he would go if I asked him, he always wants to be near me. He knows that I have protected him, and not to trust the world. But I can’t do that to him, I won’t. I want him to be happy. I want him to play and have fun and race, but I want him to know to be wary. I have taught him as well as I know of the world, the dangers that lurk out of sight. It seems safe here and warm as well. But then they reveal the truth. They want to take him away from me and give him to somebody else. He will be happy there they say, and I know that my love is selfish. I want to keep him near me always, to keep him from anyone else. But they don’t know the love we have, the bond that spans the gap. They don’t understand that we belong to each other, that we belong with each other. They want to take him. They can’t have him. If they took him it would break me. I don’t know how I would live without him close to me. How would I live separated from him, how would I spend my days? How would I survive without my hand in his, without his laugh to brighten my days? I love him more than they could ever imagine, more than is possible, really. I would anything for him. They want to take him. They can’t have him. He’s mine and it’s staying that way. No one will take him, break him or shape him. No one will harm him again. If I give up my life saving his, I’m glad to go out that way. They want to take him. They can’t have him. He is mine and I am his. Forever and Always.              

September 28, 2019 14:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wolfe Montgomery
19:55 Mar 09, 2021

Basically, this is an internal monologue of an older sister about her love for her younger brother. Their parents abandoned them and they've been in and out of foster homes together, but ran away from an abusive one and have been living on the streets. They are now in a shelter and CPS wants to split them up and put the younger brother in a foster home, but the older sister doesn't want to let them get split up as she's afraid something will happen to her brother if she's not there.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.