11 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

Red or blue. Which one do I choose?

The choice itself is harsh on my brain, but the timer that the dark-cloaked man in front of me has given is even harsher. I have exactly one minute to decide, but what do I do? There is only one instruction: “Choose the right pill”. Is there even a “right” decision? He also gave me a vague description of each pill’s effect. The red one would make me free, but I would face the consequences. The blue pill would make me a slave, but I would enjoy the aftermath.

What does that even mean? Make me free of what? Make me a slave of what? Everything was indeed too vague. I only got 30 seconds left. I don’t even know how I got here in the first place. My mind needs to concentrate on the current decision, but what if it didn’t have any importance at all? We were in a small dark room, with no windows or lights. I was sitting on a chair, and he was standing in front of me with those two colored pills in his hand. His red eyes were glowing in the dark. This whole thing was sketchy in the first place, but it was getting more eerie every second.

This reminded me too much of The Matrix. The man in front of me even resembles Morpheus.

What am I doing? Did I actually think about that in this horrible situation? I almost have no time left, I have to do something. Looking around the room for an exit didn’t help. It was pitch-black, and he also seems to know the room. Why wouldn’t he? He was the one who brought me to this abyss either way. I only had 10 seconds left, and I still didn’t know how to act.

Immediately, I heard a door open. At least I now know that there is an exit. I couldn’t see where the person was, or how he looked like. The Morpheus-looking guy yelled at the one that entered. They had an argument about some culprits escaping, which I couldn’t make sense of. Were there other people stuck in rooms like me? Both of them seemed to know each other, and they were definitely both in on this. Bad thing is, they were both getting angry now. Good thing is, I was gaining some time with this. Even if it’s only a few seconds, that’s better than nothing. I just hope that they continue on arguing and fighting, I would really need that time. I don’t even know if I would be forced to make the decision after they stop talking or not.

Think now, think. Red or blue, blue or red. Freedom or slavery. Sorrow or joy? If I could at least learn the thing I’m getting free or being a slave of. Was it them? Was this whole thing maybe a scheme, and the other “culprits” are being forced to make a choice? Why would they give us the choice in the first place, if they want us to work for them? I still didn’t understand anything, nor do I understand why pills are needed for this procedure. As if I wasn’t already a slave with these handcuffs, and the tape on my mouth. They could easily beat me up, and make me work for them. No pill needed. And I definitely would, what other choice would I have than to die? But I had a choice, a choice that I had to make. This was certainly a dilemma. A really difficult one with that.

They both stopped yelling at each other after a few minutes. That took longer than I thought. I knew that it was over, I’ve gained enough time. Now I have to decide, decide my future. Red or blue, red or blue, red or blue, what do I choose? I was racking my brain, and I was about to lose my mind. The one that entered the room came closer to me and “Morpheus”. The room was still dark, but my eyes were now used to the loss of light, and I could at least have an image of his face. They were both wearing masks, and sunglasses, so it was harder to see anything further. What did he want from me now? Before I could even think about it, he looked at Morpheus, and pulled out a gun. It didn’t take long, until he fired a bullet right in his head. They were really close to me, so the blood splattered on my face. I was in shock. My brain was already in stress and fatigue, but now I actually was going insane. Am I about to end up like Morpheus? Why did he shoot him if they knew each other? I shouldn’t even make my brain worry anymore, I’m dead for sure. This was it. I can’t decide my future anymore, the person with the gun will do it for me.

The pills were now on the floor. The red one matched the color of Morpheus’ blood. The other guy kneeled down, and picked up both of the pills. He wiped the blood of both of them, and held out his hand in front of me, just like Morpheus did. Before I could think about anything else, I heard voices and screams from afar. It must be the other culprits. Maybe they screamed because of the pills’ effects.

He was still holding the pills in his hand. I thought he was about to kill me. Instead, he grabbed his gun with the other hand, and aimed it at me. I could feel the warm muzzle on my forehead. He didn’t shoot yet, but what he did was ask something. Something so simple, yet so difficult. “Choose”. Those were the words. The words that would define the action that I’d have to do right now, right here. The action that would decide my future. We are back at the beginning.

Red or blue?

May 22, 2021 18:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Aisha Olanrewaju
21:03 Jun 03, 2021

'Red or blue?' I must say this is really something too. ;) Lol, I wanted to do a bit of rhyming just like in the entire story you wrote. So, firstly, is this prose poetry? It was sincerely enticing, mysterious and funny at the same time. I'd say you included a few words that probably weren't needed. Like the part of using 'dilemma'. You should have maybe used adjectives that describe difficult situations. Also, I think the many questions and decisions made the story kind of lack ingredient, as in we were somewhat left in the dark of...

Reply

Adra Verse
14:05 Jun 04, 2021

Haha, thanks a lot! It's actually not poetry at all, I never had the idea of rhyming... That is true, thanks for letting me know. That is also true, it was lacking a bit, but I was also trying to fill the gap because I needed at least 1k words...that was the part of the problem. I'll try and clear up more next time! Thank you so much for taking the time! You too! :) - Arda

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
14:25 Jun 04, 2021

Lol, I feel you. That Reedsy policy of a thousand words is a lot! You're very welcome :) Really? Well, that's some fun writing skill, XD Thank you!!! - Fallow

Reply

Adra Verse
14:55 Jun 04, 2021

It really feels like a lot xD I never even realized if there were rhymes or not, but that's cool I guess xD You're very welcome too :) - Arda

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
20:02 Jun 04, 2021

Sometimes, I get tired writing because of the word count, especially when the inspiration is something short, lol. It is cool!!! XD By the way, I'm sharing this with anyone who comments on my stories. I have this monthly prompt contest we created. You can check it out via https://fallowamber.wordpress.com/june-writing-prompt - Fallow

Reply

Adra Verse
20:17 Jun 04, 2021

Exactlyy, that's how I feel too. But at least it works out at the end. Haha, thanks! xD Alright, thanks a lot, will check it out.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Blair Haft
15:13 Jun 03, 2021

I really like the suspense you create it your story. It really draws the reader in.

Reply

Adra Verse
15:20 Jun 03, 2021

Thank you so much, means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
03:06 Jun 01, 2021

Great story! Loved The Matrix reference!

Reply

Adra Verse
14:08 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.