33 comments

Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.


“Come on, buddy, let’s get you to a shelter.” 


They peered into my box, shining a beam of light into my eyes. 


“Fuck off,” I wanted to say, but I knew better. Best not to antagonize the public, especially the cops. They would haul you out and shove you into their car quicker than you can shake your ass at them.  


I held my tongue and said nothing, waiting for them to move along.


The sweat was collecting on my forehead, dripping sideways down my face, stinging my eyes. I felt sick, nauseous, and disgusted. When was the last time I had something to eat? I sat up and rummaged through the garbage that surrounded me finding no sign of food or wrappers in the rubble. It may have been days. I couldn’t remember. Taking a swig from a bottle, I gagged and tossed it aside.  


What was that voice that I heard? There was a commotion outside my box, more than the usual traffic on the corner. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I lay back down, not caring as long as they left me the hell alone. I pulled the cardboard closer around me to block out their static. I waited half asleep for it to pass.  


The voice started chirping only to be interrupted and then started again. And again. And again. I was getting angry at the intrusion. I was hungry and waiting to go scavenge for food. But that voice wouldn’t stop.


“Cut!” The man’s voice was sweet relief from that chirping woman.


“Clear the corner, let’s try this again,” a second voice barked.


“Good morning, New York! It’s 101 degrees in the shade. You can fry an egg on the street here in midtown Manhattan. I’m Jane Alexander reporting on the heatwave.”


Fuck. That bitch Jane Alexander. I remembered her from last summer when she was “reporting on the homeless crisis” and shoved a camera in my face. She offered to take me someplace airconditioned. Those shelters were hell on earth, someone always screaming, some junkie coming down from some shit. Last time the cops forced me there, I woke up to find my stuff was gone. Never again, I swore. My cardboard box was safer than that.


“Doctors say this type of heat can lead to a multitude of health concerns.”


This type of heat, she said. The type of heat was unbearable, scrambling my thoughts, allowing the demons to come creeping back in. My body was both restless and exhausted. Drained, I turned on my side listlessly, my legs jerking about every few minutes. I knew I would have to get up soon to stretch.


“Recent reports have indicated that the symptoms of mental illness can become exacerbated in severe heat.”


Was she talking about me? Did she remember me from last summer? She was back to torment me, provoke me. I ran my fingers through my matted hair, feeling the dirt mix with sweat. My heart began to pound, faster, faster, louder, louder. I wouldn’t be able to stay there much longer.


I was thirsty, my tongue as dry as my body was wet. My clothes stuck to me like an added layer of skin. I needed water, but that bitch was outside chattering like a windup doll. She would just love to catch a glimpse of me to put on the news for all to see. Well, not today, lady, not today.


I reached an arm up and out, my hand blindly feeling the sizzling city streets hoping for some water left as a goodwill gesture by a passerby. The regulars came by with their extras hidden in places only they and I knew of. The day old bagel tucked beneath the flap of cardboard was sometimes accompanied by a cup of coffee. The bruised apples from the bodega were brought to me by unknown faces. When I had my share, I passed along the rest to others.


My desperate grope was met by nothing but garbage. Not wanting to entice a rat, I quickly pulled my arm back into the safety of my box.


“The soaring temperatures can lead to an increase in mood swings, anxiety and depression.”


I had to get out. My energy level suddenly soared as excitement pulsed through me. My twitching legs were ready to stretch, to run, to climb the highest mountain. Nothing would stop me as I sprang myself free from the prison cell that I was both warden and inmate of.  


“Other neuropsychiatric symptoms such as hallucinations can be a result of heatstroke.”


“What’s wrong with you?” My father’s face sneered at me from the darkness.  


“Leave him alone,” my mother pleaded with him.  


“Ma? Is that you?” A lone tear slipped out of my burning eye. I reached out to stroke my mother’s face but not quickly enough as it dissolved into a mere memory.


“It is even said that heat can cause an inflammation of the brain leading to psychosis.”


“That’s a wrap,” the man’s voice was back again putting an end to the chirping voice, an end to the nightmare. If he hadn’t ended it soon, best believe I would have.


I crawled out squinting against the sunlight seeing that damn Jane Alexander with a microphone clutched in her hand. From all fours on the sidewalk, I looked up at her and screamed like the animal she had turned me into.  


“Don’t you dare!” I stood up to my great height shaking with rage as she motioned to her cameraman. “Don’t you fucking dare!” 


All hell broke loose as the cops came out of nowhere. The crowd became thick with ugly leering faces. A sea of phones danced around, held up high to capture me from every angle.  


My arms suddenly grabbed from behind, I was thrown down and hit the hard concrete sidewalk. My feet were pulled out of my shoes, my skin roughly scraped as I was dragged to the curb and pushed into the car with the flashing lights. 


“Come on, buddy, let’s get you to a hospital.” 


“I don’t need no hospital. I don’t need no shelter. I just need some water. Can you please give me some fucking water?”  


Damn that Jane Alexander. I had a nice day planned, starting with my seat at the corner café followed by a walk in Central Park. I wasn’t bothering nobody. I wasn’t asking for nothing. Can’t a man just be?




August 06, 2024 23:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Carol Stewart
23:16 Aug 10, 2024

Oh well done! Great read from the get-go when (deliberate or not) you had me wondering for the first few words if the Mc was an animal - seen that way by some unfortunately, so good point made in a subtle way before highlighting how they were simultaneously seen by others as needing to be 'saved' - the media propaganda only scraping the surface without any follow up of what was actually true. The stifling hot atmosphere came through as well. I could picture that street.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:31 Aug 11, 2024

Ooo such interesting feedback. I hadn't meant to give the impression that the MC was an animal but rereading the first few lines it really does come off that way! The term shelter in particular could be an animal shelter. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Carol! I enjoyed your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
12:16 Aug 16, 2024

great read with a message re a sad reality for many sláinte

Reply

Hannah Lynn
02:38 Aug 20, 2024

Yes very sad reality. Thanks for reading, Susan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Sage
19:59 Aug 14, 2024

That last scene was really searing. The news anchor not helping, trying to get a scoop, the crowds gawping and taking videos, all totally impersonal. Really get a sense of how invisible or inhuman they make the character feel. Explores the issues really well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yuliya Borodina
16:42 Aug 13, 2024

Heartbreaking. Brutal. Thought-provoking. A story that will stay with me. Thank you!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:35 Aug 13, 2024

Thanks for reading, Yuliya! Yes it’s a brutal look at the reality of the homeless. Not an easy situation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nita A Mozzi
00:43 Aug 12, 2024

I love the perspective you chose for this story. The inner dialogue also felt so alive!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:21 Aug 12, 2024

Thanks for reading, Nita! It really came to life somehow once I started writing it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Hoban
20:05 Aug 11, 2024

This is so well written and executed. You have a very unique style- easy to read. I will admit I thought it was an animal hiding in a box at first, but it then quickly became evident it was a man but then later you refer to animalistic behavior - it's a very interesting piece of writing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Should you decide to take this further, you could have the reader believe all along it's a dog only to discover in the end that it's a homeless person. Very poignant. Thank you for sharing! All the best.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:20 Aug 12, 2024

Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback, Elizabeth! You’re the second person who imagined the MC being an animal upon beginning the story. So interesting how stories come to life in our imaginations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:24 Aug 11, 2024

Loved the perspective and the depiction of the character's mental state. Very well executed!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:33 Aug 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Jesse! I appreciate the praise! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
14:16 Aug 11, 2024

It's easy to forget at people on street during the heat, when you are under AC treatment. As one who lived on street this story was like flashback from the past. Very nice.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:32 Aug 11, 2024

I'm sorry to hear about your hard times, Darvico. This is not always an easy world to live in. Hopefully things continue to stay positive for you! :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:35 Aug 11, 2024

It did. So I can appreciate the luxury I have now. Always positive.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:17 Aug 11, 2024

Thank goodness! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Geertje H
21:09 Aug 10, 2024

I was rooting for him. The ones living on the fringes deserve our respect as well.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:37 Aug 10, 2024

Well said!!!! 👏 Thanks for reading, Geertje!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:51 Aug 10, 2024

So good. Really get pulled into the MCs world... Damn that woman. Just had to go and wreck his peace... :( Lots of food for thought in here regarding society and How one person's peace is anothers hell.... Great voice and the dialogue from Jane interrupting it is effectively done

Reply

Hannah Lynn
14:03 Aug 10, 2024

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback, Derrick. I like that you said there’s food for thought here. I had hoped that the story leaves the reader thinking.

Reply

14:36 Aug 10, 2024

No problem! Enjoy your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:32 Aug 09, 2024

He wouldn't have reacted that way if she hadn't been yammering.😰

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:26 Aug 09, 2024

Right?! Was she reporting the news or instigating it? The old "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Thanks for reading, Mary!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:37 Aug 08, 2024

Great story. Well described. The awfulness of living the box really got to me. Thanks for writing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
01:09 Aug 09, 2024

Thanks for reading, Stevie. Yes this was definitely painting a terrible picture unfortunately.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophie P
19:51 Aug 07, 2024

Hi Hannah, I've really enjoyed reading your stories! I am new to Reedsy as a writer, but I am also the staff writer on a new podcast called Words from Friends, which showcases writing talent by reading out short scripts and stories, along with telling listeners a little bit about the writers. It should be a fun way for writers to get their stories heard, connect with other writers and collaborate on future projects. You can listen to the first episode here: https://open.spotify.com/show/0zaAN1CC8QFwDkVul4h10I If you are interested in subm...

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:05 Aug 08, 2024

Hi Sophie! Thanks for reaching out! I will check out your link!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:50 Aug 07, 2024

You out us there. Gut, sweating, hallucinating, miserable and in the way. Great job!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:04 Aug 08, 2024

This was brutal … no heartwarming story here this week. Thanks for reading, Trudy!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:28 Aug 08, 2024

Anytime, every time! And Jane Alexander in a heatwave is not a pretty picture.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:27 Aug 07, 2024

Very, very unique take here, Hannah ! I loved the bit where Jane's reports was exactly what was happening to your MC. Lovely work !

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:03 Aug 08, 2024

Thanks for reading, Alexis! Jane definitely did her research on the symptoms of mental illness. It’s so sad for the homeless in general but under these conditions it’s so much worse.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.