I Never Said I Missed You

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Friendship Romance

-

“Don’t look now, but guess who just showed up…..”


“Are you serious?”


“Dead serious. And, oh. Oh how scandalous.”


“What?” 


“He has the girl with him.”


“For real? Already?”


“She’s, like, really pretty too….. Really, really, really pretty…..”


“Wow, thanks for clarifying Allison, my self esteem really needed that right now.”


“Hey, I’m just stating the facts….. oh. oh! Wait, he saw us! Ha! See, I told you to wear the black dress, he looks impressed, maybe even a little ashamed.”


“Good riddance, he should be ashamed, the little lying…..”


“Woah, hold up, you’re not upset that he’s here?”


“No. Why should I be?”


“Where’s Lizzie and what have you done with her? Girl! You’ve been devastated for months, you should be ☆spiraling☆ right now.”


“I’m over it. Like completely utterly 100% over it. Wanna know why?”


“Yes? This is so unlike you….”


“Look over there, what do you see? Oh, dang, you’re right, she is really pretty. And those earrings!! I’m pretty sure those were the ones he was saving for my birthday.”


“Lizzie!! You can’t let them see you looking at them! Look, now they’re whispering about us.”


“Good. Let them whisper.”


“What is going on?”


“Allison, look, I’m here to have a good time, ok? I’m not going to let him ruin my life, not even just for this one night. I’m doing better than I ever have been ever since we broke up. A glow up, if you will.”


“Totally a glow up, like you’re literally shining hon. But what does that have to do with Justin and his new chick?”


“That’s his glow up. He got a new girlfriend, she is his glow up. Is he a better person? Probably not. Is he happier?”


“Judging by the way he keeps glancing over at you, I’m guessing also not.”


“Exactly. So no, I’m not upset. He got what he wanted and I’m oh so happy for him.”


“Wow. Lizzie. Wow. I’m really proud of you. That’s so mature of you and such a healthy way to look at things and cope and move on and blah blah blah, but seriously, we can still go egg his car, right?”


“Allison! No!”


“Ok, ok, I won’t! It was just a suggestion, geez.”


-


“So…. who is she?”


“Who? Oh. No one. It’s no one.”


“Don’t lie to me Justin. You guys keep looking at each other. I’m pretty sure they’re whispering about us…….”


“She’s just an old friend.”


“Oh? Well let’s go say hi!! I never get to meet any of your friends….”


“No! No. That’s ok babe. We really don’t…..”


“Too late, she’s coming over here instead.”


“Crap.”


“Justin? Justin! Where are you….”


“I’m getting us drinks. I’ll be back.”


“Justin what--”


-


“Hey! I noticed you guys across the room and I thought I’d introduce myself.”


“Hi, sorry, Justin just went to get drinks, he’ll be right back.”


“Oh, is that what he said? I don’t think he will, he’s probably hiding from me.”


“Yeah, he was acting really weird. Did you guys get into a fight or something?”


“.... Yeah, I guess you could say that.”


“Oh.”


“Anyway, I’m Lizzie.”


“Lizzie? Wait….. Not ex-girlfriend Lizzie, I hope? That would be awkward.”


“Totally awkward. But no, thank goodness no. Poor girl. He broke her heart.”


“That’s not how I heard the story……”


“Oh?”


“She broke his heart. When she left.”


“Sounds like he forgot to mention that she only left because he started dating you.”


“No!”


“Yep.”


“Oh gosh. I didn’t even know!! I feel so bad!!”


“Don’t feel bad. She’s better off without him anyway. She’s so much happier.”


“She must hate me.”


“Oh, no hon, it wasn’t your fault. She doesn’t hate you. She just wanted to let you know before he tries to do the same thing to you.”


“Wait, so you are ex-girlfriend Lizzie?”


“Ex-fiance. Yeah. That’s me.”


“I’m so sorry…..”


“Don’t be. Really, I should thank you.”


“No, I should thank you, I can’t believe he would--”


“Anytime hon. We girls have to stick together.”


-


“Justin? Fancy meeting you here! Funny thing, I was literally just on my way to go egg your car when I thought to myself, hmm, I could really use a drink. Small world isn’t it.”


“Go away Allison. We both know you followed me over here. Why don’t you go help Lizzie sabotage my life?”


“Tempting. But no thanks.”


“What do you want?”


“I told you, I came over here for a drink and then I’m going to egg your car. Weren’t you listening.”


“But--”


“Of all the self absorbed…. You really thought I came over here to talk to you?”


“Why else--”


“BECAUSE THE DRINKS ARE OVER HERE JUSTIN!!”


“....”


“I swear, if you hadn’t messed this up yourself I would’ve broken up with you for her.”


“Don’t say that. Allison. Please. You know I still love her.”


“Sure you do.”


“I just…. wanted to make her jealous.”


“Jealous? No, Justin, that’s not love. If you loved someone you would be trying to make them happy, not jealous.”


“I know, and you’re right. So you need to help me. I made a mistake.”


“You’re going to have to be a little more specific buddy, which mistake are you referring too? The one where you cheated or the one where you got caught? Because let me tell you there is nothing stopping me from socking you in the jaw right now if you give the wrong answer……”


“Both but--”


“Wrong answer buddy.”


-


“Lizzie, Lizzie wait…..”


“Justin? What happened to you? You look awful.”


“Your stupid friend punched me.”


“Don’t ever call her that again. I’m sure you deserved it.”


“I was trying to apologize.”


“Oh? Were you?”


“Yes. I miss you.”


“Oh? Do you? Well, that changes things…..”


“Don’t be sarcastic when I’m being serious.”


“Serious? You want me to be serious. Fine. I had finally got used to the idea of being wanted, of being loved, and then you went and took that away from me as if you’d given it to me entirely by accident. Do you have any idea how much that hurt me? But even then I didn’t want you back, not for a second.”


“Please….”


“I never said I missed you, not once. Because I didn’t. I don’t. And I won’t. Consider this my official goodbye.


-


January 16, 2021 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Emma Rose
00:39 Jan 16, 2021

Very very challenging to write a story entirely composed of dialogue. Interesting concept though, and I'm sure I'll try it again with future stories as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.